Ad Widget

Collapse

Making Bone Broth for People Who Have a JOB?!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Bone Broth for People Who Have a JOB?!

making bone broth is kind of been challenging because it calls for cooking for days on end, I have a big crock pot and cook the beef bones for 4 or 5 days, that's nice and all but end up with maybe 2-3 quarts of broth so find, that if I want to have it regularly I have to make it twice a month which is more often than I want ... so, the obvious solution is to cook it in a BIG pot but I don't feel safe leaving the stove on when I'm not home for 8hrs a day 5 days a week etc... I hear you can use a cumulative time approach where you turn it off but can only do that for about 4hrs and pathogens start to grow so ... wondering if any others have come up with a solution to this??

I quit my job and started my own business. Rough for the first couple of years, but my bone broth always comes out beautifully.

Kidding. I'd stick to the crock pot, or make it in larger batches on weekends. I simmer mine for 24 hours or so. I don't know that there's much advantage to a four or five day soak.

Comment

A pressure cooker will do the job in a few hours -- and save a lot of energy in the process.

Comment

I too use a pressure cooker. 4-5 hrs for beef bones 2-3 hrs for chicken.
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

hmm pressure cooker, cool, i'm sure if i google it there will be a ton of stuff but any recommendations on

1. the method
          2. good online or otherwise places to get a good deal on a good quality one?

Comment

This is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-8-Quart-...ressure+cooker

I know a lot people prefer the electric programmable ones.
            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...kitchen&sr=1-3

There's also a newer model (a bit more expensive). Best kitchen investment I've made in the past 15 years. And yes, I work full time and have a family.
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

You don't need to cook for days. That is a myth.
                https://instagram.com/dinnerwithek/

Comment

thanks to the people who shared pressure cookers, funny is they are like only 6 quarts, kind of like my crock pot, i was envisioning cooking more than that at a time, guess go with a bigger pressure cooker?

Comment

Originally posted by ekba09 View Post
                    if that is a myth then what is the truth?

Comment

If I have a good batch of bones, after draining the broth from the pressure cooker, I often toss the aromatics (onion, garlic, carrot, celery) and toss the bones back in for another round with fresh produce. When done, I combine both batches of broth before storing. Yield from a double batch like that might be 6-8 litres, which I store in glass jars in the freezer. Look at NomNomPaleo's blog for some other pressure cooker tips on broth, should you decide to get one.
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

i cook mine overnight in a low oven and when making big batches reduce it for easier storage in the freezer.

you need bones that have connective tissue: chicken backs and feet, not breast bones. beef tendon or shin, not ribeye bones. toss in a cut up pig's foot. you want collagen/gelatin. there is zero reason to cook anything for 4 days.
                        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by ekba09 View Post
                          Thank you!

I tried a pressure cooker once, mixed animal bones. I can't remember if it was for 30 or 45 minutes, but the results were terrible. The bones had started to decompose and the broth was ruined.

Overnight in a crock pot is all you need. Keep on working! I think you for your Social Security contributions!

Comment

The truth is that you can make good broth (stock) by simmering 2-4 hours for poultry or 4-6 for beef/lamb. A pressure cooker takes about half the time, a slow cooker is, of course, slower. Use parts as noodletoy recommends.
                            It is just making soup. It is not a magical mystery food.
                            https://instagram.com/dinnerwithek/

Comment

Wait, so you guys are saying the box of chicken broth i buy at walmart isn't good enough?

Comment

Working...
                              X