No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to lose a lot of weight

Hello all.
    I need to lose a lot of weight, about 60 lbs to be exact.

I was told by a friend that doing primal is a great way to live but not so good for loosing massive amounts of weight. They said that it would be better to loose weight then switch to Primal.

Is that right?
    Would love some thoughts and feedback.
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

It also depends on what eating habits you are starting out from; if you are SAD now, then changing to almost whatever reasonable diet will make you lose weight, at least untill you stall...
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

OP, I suggest you read everything you can on this site. All your answers are there, and answers to issues you never thought of. While I highly recommend buying The Primal Diet, Mark is a generous guy and most of the book is within this site.

Every Friday his blog has a success story.

Hang around, you'll learn. But, yes, Primal/paleo is a great way to loose weight.

Comment

Need to lose a lot of weight

But can I loose weight fast?
        Don't get me wrong. I know it's a lifestyle change and all things take time.
        Just not wanting it to take 5 years or something.

Last edited by brandonCannon; 01-28-2016, 03:04 PM.

Comment

You can lose a lot of weight on this diet. As you can see on my siggy. I lost about 45lbs in 5 months. I found it pretty easy too. But I did incorporate other weight loss techniques, like eating really slowly so I could feel when I got comfortably full. Stopping eating after dinner etc.

Very early on into Primal, my Son gave me the book "It starts with food" I found that really helpful to put me on the correct track. It is a 30 day commitment. They also have a book out called The Whole 30 which I should imagine is really good also.

I have stayed very Primal and am maintaining nicely. I highly recommend you give it a go.
          Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
          Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
          Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Ignore your friend. Eat primal. Usually the weight will melt off as long as you follow the guidelines including carb curve.

Comment

Developing any new routine takes time, so learning one diet for loss then a different one for maintenance is needless complication IMO

Work towards the basics:
              • 90%+ homemade food
              • walk everywhere
              • circadian sync

Then research the finer details if and when progress slows
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

and stay out of the forum. lots of bickering and very few actually following pb anymore.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                  and stay out of the forum. lots of bickering and very few actually following pb anymore.
                  Ha ha ha! You da (enlightened) man!

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                    Yes, and if you advocate PB you are called a dogmatic religious whack job.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonCannon View Post
                      Hello all.
                      I need to lose a lot of weight, about 60 lbs to be exact.

I was told by a friend that doing primal is a great way to live but not so good for loosing massive amounts of weight. They said that it would be better to loose weight then switch to Primal.

Is that right?
                      Would love some thoughts and feedback.
                      Thanks.
                      It is a lifestyle shift that has worked wonders for many, including for those in need of huge weightloss. If you haven't found the PB 101 yet, here is a link to get you started. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Suggestion: Also, click on the button above that says "Start Here" and go to the first posting. It includes more links that will answer most of your questions without depending on the forum. Noodletoy said it differently, but she's correct about the bickering on the forum. Unfortunately, not all participants are PB and some are even anti-PB.

Good luck and if you pursue this lifestyle shift, please participate and keep everybody informed of your progress.
                      Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                      Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                        I'm going to go for it.

Got to do something and it just makes sense to eat clean.

Any practical suggestions?

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                          I'm going to go for it.

Got to do something and it just makes sense to eat clean.

Any practical suggestions?

Practical suggestion. Follow the link to the BP 101, find the carb curve , analyze your carb intake and see where you fall on the curve. Could be insightful.
                          Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                          Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

BrandonCannon-- Here's my advice for new people. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1609332
                            Just note that you won't lose umpteen pounds in no time at all. I lost 1 lb/wk on average for a year. Read the Success Stories for others, you'll find many who've lost massive amounts of weight, most lose at or near the pace Sisson describes, 1-2 lbs per week. You will notice that you feel better and your clothes are looser.
                            And please note, there is more to Primal than diet -- the exercise and sleep aspects in particular need to be addressed.
                            Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
                            My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

But can I loose weight fast?
                              Don't get me wrong. I know it's a lifestyle change and all things take time.
                              Just not wanting it to take 5 years or something.

Brandon, stop thinking "fast." What is fast?

If we all, or any one of us had a solid, consistent, answer to your question, we'd go off and bottle it or open clinics. Those HCG ? clinics can do a pound a day on 600 calories. And pretty safely. But it's under a doctor's control, you have to inject yourself, and it's not cheap. Is that what you think of?

Eight to ten pounds a month is fast in the real world. We Americans are so always "instant" everything. I want my patience NOW!

Low carb has been proven over and over again in both the anecdotal and scientific literature to not only be effective, but greatly improve things like blood panels.

Comment

Working...
                              X