Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal/Paleo Food Intolerances

Haven't posted in months and I cannot log on with my old username.

I am starting this thread for people to post their primal/paleo food intolerances and how the intolerances effect them. Example: too much cheese/yogurt makes me break out, while butter and ghee do not. Or others who may have a nightshade sensitivity may list the negative effects they experience.

Ready. Go!

Edit: I am also still experimenting with my own food intolerances by selectively removing foods from the diet for a period of time.

First intolerance I noted came from Vitamin D supplementation (Jarrow brand). After years of use I started having heart rate and blood pressure issues which I never experienced. I cut the vitamin d and a month later they were gone. Sunlight doesn't have this effect on me.

Comment

Eggs give me a double earache.

Dairy gives me eczema and sinus issues, although I seem not too bad on ghee.

I have quite a few odd ones, like beef, apples, flaxseed, peaches, and the list goes on. That cause a weird instant inflammation in my back. I call it my allergy bump. It pops up as I am eating a particular offending food. Seems fluid filled. Takes a few hours to go down, which is helped if hubby rubs it for me. I haven't heard of that reaction before. It is totally repeatable for certain food though.
      Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
      Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
      Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergirl View Post

I have quite a few odd ones, like beef, apples, flaxseed, peaches, and the list goes on. That cause a weird instant inflammation in my back. I call it my allergy bump. It pops up as I am eating a particular offending food. Seems fluid filled. Takes a few hours to go down, which is helped if hubby rubs it for me. I haven't heard of that reaction before. It is totally repeatable for certain food though.
        I have a similar reaction with a lymph node whenever I eat dairy. I used to call it my cheese node. The reaction has moved into several other lymph nodes now too so I avoid dairy all together now.

Comment

Originally posted by vh67 View Post
          I have a similar reaction with a lymph node whenever I eat dairy. I used to call it my cheese node. The reaction has moved into several other lymph nodes now too so I avoid dairy all together now.
          Interesting! I only have dairy when I go out sometimes, so not to ruin a good restaurant meal. But I do pay for it for a couple of days.
          Last edited by Silvergirl; 01-30-2016, 08:07 AM.
          Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
          Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
          Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

I found out that I seem to develop some kind of contact dermatitis with coconut oil. I can eat coconut fine, or at least so I think. I don't know what is up there.

I found this out when I thought I should put my big jar of coconut oil to other uses, and I started spreading all over a girl that I was with, and some got on me, and well, the rest is history.

Comment

Originally posted by miloofcroton View Post
              I found out that I seem to develop some kind of contact dermatitis with coconut oil. I can eat coconut fine, or at least so I think. I don't know what is up there.

I found this out when I thought I should put my big jar of coconut oil to other uses, and I started spreading all over a girl that I was with, and some got on me, and well, the rest is history.
              Don't stop now!

Comment

Maybe there was something else that caused the dermatitis!

I think I may have an issue with citrus fruits, still working it out though.

Comment

I have a high suspicion that milk, well the full fat milk and cream, causes some sort of sinus issue where they get blocked up. Started drinking coffee black and they seem to be slowly subsiding. Plain Kefir seems to have no effect.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
                    Don't stop now!
                    Ever seen that scene from Van Wilder?

(warning: nudity)
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0faWXEx0JHg

No? Yea, probably no one else did either except for those that were about 12 years old in 2002.

Comment

I have both milk and wheat allergies. I can handle cream and butterfat (currently using more ghee than coconut oil) and rye crackers, but the rosacea on my face and stiffness indicate possibly that I should be more strict and see what happens. I am sensitive to apples, flaxseed, watermelon, turkey and others. All this means is I don't eat the foregoing as a regular item of my diet, but sneak some on occasion. :-)

Comment

@ Paysan: I've had moderate rosacea for many years. To the best of my knowledge, the only "food" known to effect it is alcohol.

I used to be on Doxycyclin, one 100mg a day, IIRC. Effective. Metrogel, the first thing every doc tries, totally uneffective. The dose and infrequency of the Doxy is not effective as a general antibiotic in your system, but acts as an anti-inflammatory. Nevertheless, I really didn't like having an antibiotic in my system if I could avoid it.

The physician I had until my recent move was a good listener and he trusted my observations and comments. I asked, "If I find a topical that I think will work, will you write me a script?" He said yes, and off I went to the intertubes for a lot of research. For reasons that I no longer recall, I settled on Clindomycin with Benzoil Peroxide. Aka Benzaclin.

It comes in two parts, which you or your pharmacist mix. It's good for three months, but I keep mine in the fridge. I apply it from 1-3 times a day as I think of it. It works very well. Not perfectly, like the Doxy did, but at least 90% so.

Because of my particular health plan, I pay only a few dollars. I think it's pretty expensive if you aren't subsidized.

Comment

As my alcohol intake effectively runs at zero, I'll assume it's my northern European ancestry, complete with blondes ( all of my 6 siblings save one are/were blonde) that has done me in. I , too, was prescribed an antibiotic supposedly for several months, but, like you, I hated having it in my system. The image of W.C. Fields haunts me.:-) I do not try a lot of different creams because my skin is so sensitive to so many cosmetics, but hyaluronic acid seems to help slightly. If I remember to apply it.

Comment

Paysan, not sure why, other than cost, you dismiss Benzaclin just because it's a cream. You're painting with a pretty broad brush. And it's not like rosacea isn't its own big problem.

Comment

After much testing another one of my intolerances is coffee. In general, but not caffeine. Tea (white/green) gives me now issues but coffee total screws me up.

Comment

Working...
                              X