No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meat? support needed

Hi all,
    as you might know, I am a vegetarian (no meat, fish sometimes) for about 23 years now.
    I have some on going stomach issues, need to supplement b12, no period...well, do not want to steetch it out because I have already posted things here.
    I have the feeling that I need to eat meat. I have had this very!!! strong longing already last summer, but could not eat it. Now, sanity says "do it". But it feels like killing my moral or losing, although I think there are healthy reasons to be a vegetarian. But things change?! Body changes? Health changes?
    I bought some baby mush, with chicken and vegetables. I thought this would be a good way to start. But still...no courage. I put it back into the fridge
    PLEASE, encourage me! And please, be serious! Don't say...I have always known veggies are...blablabla

Originally posted by gergirl View Post
    Hi all,
    as you might know, I am a vegetarian (no meat, fish sometimes) for about 23 years now.
    I have some on going stomach issues, need to supplement b12, no period...well, do not want to steetch it out because I have already posted things here.
    I have the feeling that I need to eat meat. I have had this very!!! strong longing already last summer, but could not eat it. Now, sanity says "do it". But it feels like killing my moral or losing, although I think there are healthy reasons to be a vegetarian. But things change?! Body changes? Health changes?
    I bought some baby mush, with chicken and vegetables. I thought this would be a good way to start. But still...no courage. I put it back into the fridge
    PLEASE, encourage me! And please, be serious! Don't say...I have always known veggies are...blablabla
    Facing up to reality, and changing direction, is not "losing". Continuing down the wrong path is losing. I'm serious.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
      Facing up to reality, and changing direction, is not "losing". Continuing down the wrong path is losing. I'm serious.
      Sounds wise...

Comment

although I think there are healthy reasons to be a vegetarian.
        there are only misguided reasons to try eating as a vegetarian if you are trying to eat for good health. we evolved as omnivores and your body is suffering and manifesting ill health.

baby mush sounds positively foul, so for now, fish, shellfish, eggs, gelatin. get some kind of animal protein into yourself at least once per day. realize as well that "meat" isn't one monolithic thing and there are all sorts of cuts, textures and methods of cooking you may find more palatable as you get used to incorporating it into your life.
        Last edited by noodletoy; 02-04-2016, 08:18 AM.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Mark did a post on transitioning http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...#axzz3z7m7v0oU

I can't imagine how difficult it is for you after all these years. As a lifelong meat eater, even I feel squeamish at times over some things.

I think it best to try something out at a restaurant as Mark suggested. Baby food sounds really unappetizing. Maybe a nice chicken and tofu Pho soup? you can choose to eat bits of the chicken if you feel up to it, but the stock is delicious and very nutritious, and you aren't chewing on meat at that point.
          Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
          Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
          Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Stirfry with tons of veggies and just a sprinking of chicken might be a good start. Or something like egg drop soup.

Getting over that nagging little voice in the back of your head is simply gonna take time. You have developed a vegetarian habit. Habits take time and effort to change. You need to consistently add some meat to your meals for a significant amount of time to make eating it a part of your new habit.

Comment

You have to accept the fact that some amount of meat is good for you, and that you're doing what's best for you by eating it. I also struggled with the moral issue of eating meat after being vegetarian for 9 years, but I realized that I only have one life of my own and I still buy mostly humanely-raised meats.

Comment

Thank you very much for your replies...I am getting closer to being ready willing and able. Perhaps the weekend is fine, I am a bit afraid of feeling sick after eating meat. But better not overthinking this, it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
                *sigh* keep your thoughts coming!

Comment

Soups and pilafs are both good for including small pieces one doesn't enjoy chewing. Paleo folks who struggle with oysters or liver often appreciate them.
                  37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergirl View Post
                    Mark did a post on transitioning http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...#axzz3z7m7v0oU

I can't imagine how difficult it is for you after all these years. As a lifelong meat eater, even I feel squeamish at times over some things.

I think it best to try something out at a restaurant as Mark suggested. Baby food sounds really unappetizing. Maybe a nice chicken and tofu Pho soup? you can choose to eat bits of the chicken if you feel up to it, but the stock is delicious and very nutritious, and you aren't chewing on meat at that point.
                    Thank you for the link. I just have downloaded one of the books he mentioned...

Comment

Have you looked at Let Them Eat Meat? It has a nice collection of interviews, as well as some philosophical critiques.
                      I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

Originally posted by sharperhawk View Post
                        Have you looked at Let Them Eat Meat? It has a nice collection of interviews, as well as some philosophical critiques.
                        Thanks! Looks interesting!

Comment

I think a good start as others have suggested would be to take it with some sort of soup or broth, or even bone broth itself just to warm up to it. I get this sneaking suspicion that if you were to just dive right in and hammer down a steak you'd get pretty ill. You'll need to warm up to it.

Start off with chicken either in fragments in soup or some broth, and have that about once a day, then work your way up from there.

Comment

You could also make a soup with veggies and meat and then puree it.

It would taste delicious and there wouldn't be any big hunks to deal with.

You can just get used to the added flavor for a little while and then you could add small bits of meat to the
                            pureed soup once you got used to it.

Also, when you made the veggie and meat soup, you could just add a little bit of meat to it, then puree it, so it wouldn't
                            taste all "meat heavy" at first.

I have a Nutribullet, and I have made soup on the stove and then pureed portions of it for my son (he's 13, he ain't no baby!) so it was smooth since he has texture issues with vegetables. He likes it and says it tastes good. Which is saying something for him, because he is absolutely 100% the *pickiest* eater ON THE PLANET and does not like ANYTHING. I mean seriously, the kid doesn't even like pizza. WHA-WHA??? NO SON OF MINE!

Anyway, just a thought.

Good luck to you!

Julia

Comment

Okay, I have just prepared my lunch...mashed some veggies and mixed the baby mush (with chicken) into it. Both look the same (color and texture). The countdown starts...7 hours until lunch. I will report back tonight...
                              :/

Comment

Working...
                              X