Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCT oil questions

Thinking of adding this to my diet. Does it have taste? I was going to add to coffee. If I don't do the oil are the gelcaps from NOW good? Anything else I should know?

The first question I ask, is "Why?" It sounds like you are looking at the Bulletproof Coffee thingy. Nothing wrong with that.

There is no taste beyond your body knows something oily is in the mouth.

Gelcaps would be a very expensive way to consume MCT oil.

Comment

The why is I've heard they are healthy and I don't generally eat breakfast but I do workout at around 6am. Didn't know if it would help there or not. I really don't know much about it other than I seem to hear about it quite a bit.

Comment

No flavor whatsoever.

Julia

Comment

Lots of things are healthy. If you don't have a specific problem to address, or goal to achieve, why spend the money?

Comment

Unrefined coconut is a lot cheaper and has a coconut taste.

Comment

MCT oil in itself has just an oily taste, very strange if you try to take it straight. If you decide to take it, start it off in small doses no more than a 1 to 1.5 Tbsp per day. That crap will run through you like a river if your body isn't used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by miata View Post
                Unrefined coconut is a lot cheaper and has a coconut taste.
                While coconut oil has a lot of MCT's within, it's not as pure. The specific fatty acids are not at the same amounts and ratios, and the body metabolizes the non-MCT parts as regular lipids.

Comment

I am skeptical of the health claims. If you want to fast, do the real thing. When you eat, eat nutrient dense foods — which MCT oil is not.
                  I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
                    While coconut oil has a lot of MCT's within, it's not as pure. The specific fatty acids are not at the same amounts and ratios, and the body metabolizes the non-MCT parts as regular lipids.
                    Coconut oil is still 60% MCT. There are other ways that coconut oil than "MCT" oils...
                    MCT Oil vs. Coconut Oil: The Truth Exposed

I've been doing BPC variations for about 3 years, tried both -- and like coconut oil better. The only disadvantage is that you can't pour it in the winter. You have to scoop it out.

Comment

MCT oil apparently is metabolized directly as energy and nothing is really stored. I suppose this would work out for someone who is already in their happy place in regards to weight, but for those still looking to lose fat, MCT oil may not be the best option. You want to burn your own fat stores first instead of burning and outside source like MCT oil.

When I bought my bottle, I remember the guy behind the counter telling me MCT oil is popular among super models. Apparently they sip it for energy and it keeps them thin (hence it burns as energy right away as opposed to being stored). From my own personal experience, I am no where near that stage yet to even test this theory as I still have some of my own fat stores I'm trying to weed down.

Comment

There was a book once, several decades ago, The Coconut Oil Diet, IIRC. As noted, CO has a lot of MCT's within. MCT's raise body temperature a bit, so the theory is that even though there are 100 calories in a TBLS of MCT, it actually is net negative calories. (CO has 119 calories per.)

MCT oils have been researched a lot, both for weight loss and health purposes, and for athletic performance. The bottom line from a lot of what I've read is that the hope never gets to be reality. MCT's are used in baby formula for the fat, and are useful for individuals with bile problems who have trouble digesting other fats.

Comment

Originally posted by WestCoastFire View Post
                          MCT oil apparently is metabolized directly as energy and nothing is really stored. I suppose this would work out for someone who is already in their happy place in regards to weight, but for those still looking to lose fat, MCT oil may not be the best option. You want to burn your own fat stores first instead of burning and outside source like MCT oil.
                          I think the opposite is true. MCT oil stimulates its own oxidation, which makes it less fattening than long-chain triglycerides, which tend to get stored after eating. Eating long-chain triglycerides won't necessarily cause you to burn the fat on your body, and even if you do, you're just replacing it with more.
                          Effects of medium-chain triglycerides on weight loss and body composition: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
                          My opinions and some justification

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
                            I think the opposite is true. MCT oil stimulates its own oxidation, which makes it less fattening than long-chain triglycerides, which tend to get stored after eating. Eating long-chain triglycerides won't necessarily cause you to burn the fat on your body, and even if you do, you're just replacing it with more.
                            Effects of medium-chain triglycerides on weight loss and body composition: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
                            Reading the abstract and conclusions affirms what I said, even if I don't have the metabolic paths nailed down.

Comment

I don't understand why people use MCT oil unless they're trying to go into ketosis faster. And even then, just don't eat carbs and you'll go into ketosis soon enough. How much difference is MCT oil going to make in the long run?

It doesn't add any flavor. It isn't going to make you expend energy you wouldn't otherwise expend. It can't make fat fall off at no cost. What's the point?

Comment

Working...
                              X