Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love but no loss

Been doing Primal for 10 days now and am pretty sure it's going to be a permanent fix.
    I really do feel so much better already.
    Wish I had of made this switch a long time ago.

One issue... part of the reason I began doing PB was to lose weight. I need to lose around 60 lbs.
    In 10 days I haven't lost any weight.
    Not one pound.

My average daily diet looks like this>>>

Breakfast- fruit smoothie and 2 boiled eggs
    Lunch- salad and some type of meat
    Dinner- lean meat and veggies
    Snacks- apple, some nuts

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Welcome to the PB club! The weight thing itself could be a case of gaining muscle whilst losing some fat thus creating no actual change in weight. Do you notice anything different when you look in the mirror?

What was your diet like before you started PB, like an example of it? If it was drastically different than what you posted as an example of your diet right now, I'd just stay the course, keep eating what your eating. Just make sure you're eating enough calories so you don't feel run down or sluggish. Give it a month or 2 to see if anything changes.

The only thing I would caution against is the fruit smoothie, and the reason being, fruit smoothies can essentially be a sugar bomb which won't do anyone any favors with losing weight. Think of it this way, it's tougher for someone to eat 5 apples, rather than drinking 5 apples pulverized into juice. It can raise insulin to epic levels, and that is exactly what you don't want.

I guess it depends on what you're putting in your smoothie as well.

Comment

Brandon, am I going senile, or didn't you start a thread recently and then stepped away?

There was a LOT of great advice, and if I may say so myself, some of it from me.

I have a friend that asks for advice on certain matters, I give it, and then she comes back with her still unsolved problems because she didn't change anything.

We are a supportive community, but you need to do the work, which includes research, reading, and listening to your Primal Elders, as it were.

Comment

See how things are going after it's been 30 days. Eat until you feel full, and make sure you're eating enough at mealtime that you're not needing to snack consistently. Keep an eye on the nut intake as it is easy to overdo, and they're fairly calorie dense. Don't gauge weight loss by what you see on the scale, either - the way your clothes fit is much more accurate. The first place many see true loss of fat is usually in the face and neck, so don't underestimate what it means when you notice those small changes.

Keep at it. It took a while to gain it, it's not going to be lost in the blink of an eye.
        Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses.
          Anxious to get this right.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
            Brandon, am I going senile, or didn't you start a thread recently and then stepped away?

There was a LOT of great advice, and if I may say so myself, some of it from me.

I have a friend that asks for advice on certain matters, I give it, and then she comes back with her still unsolved problems because she didn't change anything.

We are a supportive community, but you need to do the work, which includes research, reading, and listening to your Primal Elders, as it were.
            Come on now. Be nice.
            Doing the best I can to get started on this and a little advice requested doesn't hurt anyone. If you can't he supportive please don't post.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonCannon View Post
              Come on now. Be nice.
              Doing the best I can to get started on this and a little advice requested doesn't hurt anyone. If you can't he supportive please don't post.

He's right, though - not sure if you've seen the good amount of advice given on your other thread. Check it out if you haven't already read it through:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117407.html
              Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

+1 to OnTheBayou.
                You can post all you want, but have you adopted any of the advice you have already received? Your other thread has lost focus, primarily your fault as you haven't posted anything since 1/29 to try and keep it in line. Same thing may well happen here.
                The community here is happy to share their advice, opinions, and supporting info for what they think and believe. There is a lot of variability in what you will get. You must pick and choose what seems right to you.
                OTB is playing nice. I think the basic message to you is that if you don't "do something" with the advice people provide, then you are wasting everybody's time re-posting the same stuff.
                How about you reread the advice submitted, pick what suits you and give it a go. Follow it for a while (maybe a month or so?), then come back and provide feedback and solicit more advice if needed?
                Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
                My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

Wow.
                  You all are so awesome at encouraging new people who are trying to embrace something that's so different from their upbringing.

(Sarcasm to the fullest.)

It's following all the great advice I've received that led me to think it must be something I'm doing which brought me back to this forum.
                  I thought I could come back here to tweak a little more until I get it right.
                  Then hopefully as I grow, pass the information on to the next person.

You guys are unwittingly doing more harm than good with some of these comments.

Don't forget that forums are full of real people reaching out for real help.

No need to be unkind.
                  This is a new journey for me and I'm very insecure about this whole process. Your knowledge doesn't give you a license to act entitled.

Comment

be careful with the smoothies and the nuts. fruit is fine, but for most people smoothies aren't all that sating and can be a big blast of sugar. have 4-5 eggs instead.

a handful of nuts can be a calorie bomb and they are very easy to overeat unless you carefully portion them out.

don't worry so much about lean meats either. the fat that comes attached to red meat, eggs and wild fish is good for you and will help you feel full.

are you drinking plenty of water? moving around?
                    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Patience with demonstrable "failure to communicate" and apparent in-action is not necessarily one of my virtues.

One error you are making, IMO, is looking to the forums for advice this quickly. You are a whopping 11 days in now, and you feel better. That's a huge item. Give it some time, and continue to check the "how do I feel" meter. Also check how your clothes are fitting. Only weigh 1 time per week. Please make sure you are addressing all the facets of PB, not just the diet. I gave my input in your previous thread, but to restate one key item: I think you should go 2 months following as closely as possible the guidelines in the PB101 info and see how that works, and not solicit forum advice until you are well adapted and know how the basic program works (or not) for you. It takes time to properly assess how you are doing.
                      Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
                      My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

Maybe you bring up a good point.

Many of you PB experts probably do tire of newbies like me coming in a asking the same questions again and again and again.

Wonder if the forum mods have ever considered adding a "beginners" section just for people like me who are still working through the beginning stages.

Comment

Originally posted by Rig D View Post

- Give it some time, and continue to check the "how do I feel" meter.

- Also check how your clothes are fitting.

- Only weigh 1 time per week.

-make sure you are addressing all the facets of PB, not just the diet.

- you should go 2 months following as closely as possible the guidelines in the PB101 info and see how that works, and not solicit forum advice until you are well adapted and know how the basic program works (or not) for you. It takes time to properly assess how you are doing.
                          That's good info. Cheers.

Comment

In the green ribbon at the top of the page click on Start Here. That is Mark's newbie page just for you!
                            Female back to the basics: 5-2017
                            CW: 2017: 150
                            GW: 130 a dream, I know
                            Muscle soreness surrounding Neck, Thyroid and Rosacea issues.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonCannon View Post
                              Maybe you bring up a good point.

Many of you PB experts probably do tire of newbies like me coming in a asking the same questions again and again and again.

Wonder if the forum mods have ever considered adding a "beginners" section just for people like me who are still working through the beginning stages.

OK, Brandon. Do this: Whatever you want. Amp up your feelings vs. don't weigh your food or follow the mostly excellent advice here. Did you buy The Primal Blueprint? Read everything Mark has ever put up? Did you buy a scale? I am incapable of navigating around your tender feelings when the solutions require you to DO something other than starting another thread.

You're right, newbies ask the same questions, over and over, year after year. And, we either answer them, and/or point them to other pages and sources for in depth answers. But I don't recall anyone so impervious to advice, advice that you asked for. We were all newbs here at one time. One thing that I see in common with all the Elders, including those no longer here, is that we did a hell of a lot of work learning what we know by our own research and experiments. And, sometimes, we post a question here because we need other member's thoughts and experiences. Even the Elders ask questions.

I'm guessing you are not a parent, but you've probably heard the phrase, "Tough love." If one of my daughters were doing what you are, my support by now would have evolved to what I'm telling you. My daughters, all now middle aged, got lots of love and from time to time, some tough love. They turned out absolutely perfect.
                              Last edited by OnTheBayou; 02-12-2016, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X