Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the bayou, we could live without your Holier-than-thou.

I think the biggest issue here is that Brandon has been at this for 10 DAYS. That's not nearly long enough to make any conclusions, either about Primal or about how "impervious" he is to advice. He could have followed every piece of your advice (assuming he could hear it so far down from your high horse) and still not lost any weight. But he does feel better, so it's a sign that things are working!

Brandon, it would help if you told us what you ate BEFORE you went Primal. It would also help if you gave more specific numbers other than "salad with a little meat."

And I also suspect you're ripe for Carb Flu. If your new-found energy goes to crap in the next week, don't worry, that's an excellent sign!
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
      And I also suspect you're ripe for Carb Flu. If your new-found energy goes to crap in the next week, don't worry, that's an excellent sign!
      carb flu means your electrolytes are out of whack. be sure to salt your food, drink plenty of salted bone broth and you can use magnesium supps too. drink LOTS of water too.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by brandonCannon View Post
        Wow.
        You all are so awesome at encouraging new people who are trying to embrace something that's so different from their upbringing.

(Sarcasm to the fullest.)

It's following all the great advice I've received that led me to think it must be something I'm doing which brought me back to this forum.
        I thought I could come back here to tweak a little more until I get it right.
        Then hopefully as I grow, pass the information on to the next person.

You guys are unwittingly doing more harm than good with some of these comments.

Don't forget that forums are full of real people reaching out for real help.

No need to be unkind.
        This is a new journey for me and I'm very insecure about this whole process. Your knowledge doesn't give you a license to act entitled.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Relax dude. Don't go off the sarcastic rail... Stay with us here

OntheBayou is just a little irritated, (rightfully so), that they and others spent a good deal of their own time to give you some really great starter tips and links to pages to help you get started. Your other thread has a ton of great advice and references in their to help you.

It's not like your asking us super specific questions. You're kind of being more broad and just asking help to lose weight fast. It's kind of a broad topic, so people are doing the best they can to point you in the right direction.

If you're just starting to get into this lifestyle, (which is sounds like you are), a good percentage of this journey is going to be a solo one. It's your life and nobody else. You are the one walking the path and taking that journey.

Just start reading up on those links that others have shared with you and start to eat more whole foods like unproccessed animal products, fruits, veggies, tubers, and berries, and fish. If you hit a road block, or you have any more questions regarding specifics about your health or getting started with the primal lifestyle, then by all means, come back and chat.

Nobody is trying to dissuade you or put you off of wanting to eat and live healthier. To say that is a bit ridiculous.

In regards to you post......

My weight loss tips -

You said you snack on nuts? How much? Nuts are high calories and can stack up quickly if you dont pay attention to your snacking

How is your overall health? Do you have high general inflammation and cortisol? That can make you hold onto a lot of extra weight as your body is inflamed and stressed. are you pooping properly? for a lot of people, poor and incomplete elemination means a couple extra pounds, (in some cases) stuck to the insides of your poop factory.

exercise and drink water and eat fresh fruits and veggies

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
          On the bayou, we could live without your Holier-than-thou.

I think the biggest issue here is that Brandon has been at this for 10 DAYS. That's not nearly long enough to make any conclusions, either about Primal or about how "impervious" he is to advice. He could have followed every piece of your advice (assuming he could hear it so far down from your high horse) and still not lost any weight. But he does feel better, so it's a sign that things are working!

Brandon, it would help if you told us what you ate BEFORE you went Primal. It would also help if you gave more specific numbers other than "salad with a little meat."

You can call it "Holier than thou," I think of it as solid advice and a challenge to do something with so much great advice already given instead of going in circles w/o changes. I may be more irritated, or express it less kindly than others, but sometimes a spade has to be called a spade.

Yes, I failed my State Department test for diplomacy..................

Comment

Well, here I am again and it would probably be good to answer some questions left unanswered.

My eating>>>
            Salad (lettuce, spinach, some cheese, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, etc)
            Meat- lean chicken, fish, some beef

My Health>>>
            I was a carb-aholic and chronic over-exerciser for a few years. Then quit everything and just started gaining weight.

OntheBayou- yes, actually, I do have kids. Two.
            I'm looking for a daddy figure or other people's "tough love". That's the frustrating part about your posts. If you don't want to help because you feel I haven't done sufficient homework or "sweet-equity' then just don't post.
            Take your magnificent opinions elsewhere.

I have actually read the PB and subscribe to a lot of podcasts to constantly learn this lifestyle.

I'm not interested in getting something for nothing. Losing weight is a byproduct of a healthy lifestyle. Just want to learn as much as I can from people who know more.

I have the opportunity to mentor you g business leaders all the time. When they come to me with questions, I answer them as best I can then encourage them to take the next step. I don't say, "Sucks to be dumb like you. Go figure it out while I sit over here with all my knowledge and laugh at you."

What is knowledge but a gift to be passed on to others.

I'm sure there will be a lot of "solo" learning in my future but to all the PB posters out there... Here's some advice from a newbie...

You're not hurting us by helping us. Don't forget, you were once new to this too. Wouldn't you have liked a coach and not a critic?

Comment

And... Thank you to everyone who has posted all the great tips and ideas on this thread.
              It's good stuff. Thank you.

Comment

I also need to apologize to OntheBayou.
                I have been reading other threads and you have posted on many of them.

Wow, you are mean to everyone. Not just me.

It's really a shame because if people can get past ALL THE PRIDE and snarky comments there's actually some really good and helpful stuff.

Dude, add just a little humility and you would hit a home run every time. You really do have good content. Just leave out the passive aggressive insults.

Comment

It's really a shame because if people can get past ALL THE PRIDE and snarky comments there's actually some really good and helpful stuff.

Dude, add just a little humility and you would hit a home run every time. You really do have good content. Just leave out the passive aggressive insults.
                  I have followed both your threads, your comments and those made in response. I'm glad you are focusing on the messages and less, now, on the messengers.

I used to complain frequently about how some of our (lack of) manners dissuades many newbies from participating in the forum. Questions from new or potential adherents sometimes seem lame, but as you stated, they are likely questions we all had at one time or another. They also serve to reinforce concepts with veterans who have moved on from the basics. Being placed back in the position to reassess the basics helps the veterans as well as the newbie. Keep asking.
                  Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                  Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Your last post is well stated Brandon.

I honestly think you will get as much positive, encouraging feedback from the forum group as you could want. You will also get (as you've no doubt noticed) a wide variety of opinions on the what/when/why of making changes. And keep always in mind that what you are doing is an n=1 with yourself as the test subject. From being on the forum now for around 4 years, it is my observation that people who appear to be diligently pursuing PB have significantly varying results from following the "base plan" and each and every one of us is or has done some tweaking of the plan to try to optimize how it works for us. In some fashion we are all "special snowflakes" as our bodies act and react differently to different things. This is the basis of my advice to stick to the base plan for 2 months before deviating. You need to know the foundation from which you operate.

Do understand that much of the adverse reaction you have received was from simply firing up this, your second thread, which definitely came across to me and possibly others as saying "well, I didn't like what was being said on the first one, so let's try again."

May I also suggest to you that some or all of your personal info you shared in this last post would be good to put in your "about me" section of your profile. I know that when a thread catches my interest, especially from a newbie, I like to check out their profile (by clicking on their name in the header of a post) and see if they provide anything in the "about me" area that provides any insight into their situation. We have very few people, either new or old on the forum that have put anything meaningful in there, and I think it is a missed opportunity.
                    Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
                    My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

No need to apologize. I don't live my life to have others approval. I don't have tolerance for "woo," or beliefs without some science behind them. John Caton, for instance, and I can argue mightly about things, but then we are both using science, best as each of it knows and applies it.

As I said in one of my posts, here or the first one, I have a lovable friend who constantly asks advise. I give it, she says yes, that is what she should do, then she does nothing and two months later she's bitching about the same things. It drives me nuts. So when I saw you doing the same thing, it drove me nuts and I ramped up the challenge for you to do something other than repost.

The best coaches support, but they also criticize and demand more. Like I did.

BTW, anything wrong with my advice?

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
                        I have followed both your threads, your comments and those made in response. I'm glad you are focusing on the messages and less, now, on the messengers.

I used to complain frequently about how some of our (lack of) manners dissuades many newbies from participating in the forum. Questions from new or potential adherents sometimes seem lame, but as you stated, they are likely questions we all had at one time or another. They also serve to reinforce concepts with veterans who have moved on from the basics. Being placed back in the position to reassess the basics helps the veterans as well as the newbie. Keep asking.
                        Great post, John. I agree completely.
                        Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Working...
                        X