Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakfast smoothies

I'm looking for a breakfast smoothie to have once or twice a week to break up the monotony of what I usually eat every single morning. Two eggs and two pieces of bacon. I try to eat just before I leave the house, about 7:30 a.m., so I can last, without wilting, until lunch, normally 12:30 p.m. Previously smoothies for breakfast haven't been able to take me the distance even though they included 2 eggs and lots of greens. I reached my weight goal about 2 years ago and I've been maintaining ever since. All was going well until I had both my knees replaced this past year and, because they found "heart issues", they threw in a pacemaker too. I came home from the hospital a few pounds heavier even though I tried to stay low carb (just try to keep the news that one prefers lots of butter, bacon and a fair amount of salt away from your Cardiologist). In total I've gained about 6 lbs. and I'm feeling desperate. I tried to blame it on the added weight of the new knees and the pacemaker.
    I'd like to find a coffee flavored smoothie with enough protein, that can be put together the night before. Living in an apt. it's not fair or nice to be running my stick blender so early in the morning. Some people should be allowed to sleep a little longer. Asking this question sounds like I want this smoothie "my way". Actually, I'm just throwing my request out there to see what I might come up with. I've asked "want it all" questions from our primal group before and they came through. Thanks for your help and ideas.

This is also posted in the Recipe forum. I couldn't decide which forum it was better suited for.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 02-11-2016, 09:07 AM.

Ah, the fascination with smoothies and shakes around here............ Phrases like "In my smoothie," as if it were as mandatory as a bowel movement.

When anthropologists find a blender in with Grok's bones, I'll reconsider my stance. Which is, why would you want to premasticate your food? We did not evolve to have every cell of food broken down and instantly available for digestion, did we? It's the metabolic difference between eating an apple and drinking a cup of apple juice. That's the reason your egg smoothie didn't go the distance. A fast, high blip of availability - and perhaps insulin - and down it comes.

You raise an interesting question. I wonder if mother nature's knees or your metal one weigh more. I'd guess the latter if I had to place a bet. Inquiring minds want to know, if nothing else, because I have one knee that I'm sure will have the surgery sometime in the future.

Comment

I don't think that making a smoothie the night before will degrade the nutrition much. The main issue would be what happens to the consistency of the mixture overnight in the refrigerator. If you have a container like a mason jar or a blender bottle with a metal wire ball, a vigorous shake would be easy. It might help to keep liquids and puréed solids separate until the last minute.
      I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
        Ah, the fascination with smoothies and shakes around here............ Phrases like "In my smoothie," as if it were as mandatory as a bowel movement.

When anthropologists find a blender in with Grok's bones, I'll reconsider my stance. Which is, why would you want to premasticate your food? We did not evolve to have every cell of food broken down and instantly available for digestion, did we? It's the metabolic difference between eating an apple and drinking a cup of apple juice. That's the reason your egg smoothie didn't go the distance. A fast, high blip of availability - and perhaps insulin - and down it comes.

You raise an interesting question. I wonder if mother nature's knees or your metal one weigh more. I'd guess the latter if I had to place a bet. Inquiring minds want to know, if nothing else, because I have one knee that I'm sure will have the surgery sometime in the future.

Yes, except apple juice has no fiber and a smoothie has all of the original fiber. I think smoothies are a great tool for people with weakened digestive systems.

And stop complaining about Austin; you guys have freakin google fiber over there. whiny babby

Comment

Originally posted by purplegorilla View Post
          Yes, except apple juice has no fiber and a smoothie has all of the original fiber. I think smoothies are a great tool for people with weakened digestive systems.

And stop complaining about Austin; you guys have freakin google fiber over there. whiny babby
          It's still mostly not here. Slow roll out. For me, I don't care one way or the other. I don't have a television and if I get 10mb/sec, I'm happy.

Comment

I make a version of the custard recipe from TQP ages ago. It has gelatin in so it sets so you could make something like that the night before. All you do is put an egg, some low fat greek yoghurt, some frozen mangos or berries or whatever fruit you like in there and it doesn't have to be frozen, some vanilla and blend. Then add some gelatin melted in water and blend again and it is done. You can do all sorts of variations but the basic mixture is fruit, liquid and gelatin. So you can sub protein powder for the egg, leave it out if you don't have any, use coconut milk or cream instead of yoghurt, use coconut water instead of water with the gelatin and so on. Different combos. bananas and cocao powder instead of mangos, blueberries, mixed berries, cherries and almond essence, etc etc. Coffee you could add with cacao and maybe some coconut milk and eggs instead of fruit. Loads and loads of options and I have found the gelatin daily to be awesome for my skin and hair and muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
              I make a version of the custard recipe from TQP ages ago. It has gelatin in so it sets so you could make something like that the night before. All you do is put an egg, some low fat greek yoghurt, some frozen mangos or berries or whatever fruit you like in there and it doesn't have to be frozen, some vanilla and blend. Then add some gelatin melted in water and blend again and it is done. You can do all sorts of variations but the basic mixture is fruit, liquid and gelatin. So you can sub protein powder for the egg, leave it out if you don't have any, use coconut milk or cream instead of yoghurt, use coconut water instead of water with the gelatin and so on. Different combos. bananas and cocao powder instead of mangos, blueberries, mixed berries, cherries and almond essence, etc etc. Coffee you could add with cacao and maybe some coconut milk and eggs instead of fruit. Loads and loads of options and I have found the gelatin daily to be awesome for my skin and hair and muscles.
              Thank you, that's a big number of variations. Gelatin is so good for us. I started taking after I lost all my weight. I had a lot of loose skin and I hoped it would help.
              Last edited by Rosemary 231; 02-11-2016, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
                Thank you, that's a big number of variations. Gelatin is so good for us. I started taking after I lost all my weight. I had a lot of loose skin and I hoped it would help.
                did you read mark's post on collagen yesterday? specific to glycine, i need to way increase my consumption of gelatin. most of my protein these days is from eggs and fish, so not much dietary collagen.

there are a billion variations of eggs to make as well and even just having left-over meat and veg can be a quick, quiet breakfast.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Yes, I did read his post. It's timely to where I am right now. One of my "challenges" I'm working on is getting over being so rigid. Breakfast doesn't need to always be routine breakfast foods. Years ago, before low carb, I vaguely remember standing in front of an open refrigerator door, barefoot in my "jammies" eating cold pizza. I wasn't bothered in the least that what I was eating for breakfast wasn't regulation breakfast food. Training myself to eat what's available regardless of what the meal is is a small step in the right direction as long as it gets me through to lunch. On "completely worn out/used up" days I have no problem eating breakfast for dinner.

For a very long time I ordered 5 lbs. of powdered gelatin from Amazon, put about a tablespoon in some water, let it dissolve and knocked it back quickly, two or three times a day. I had to stop when Amazon's free shipping requirement was raised to $35. I'd love to do that again. I've maintained my weight goal for over two years and it seems my excess skin has tightened up as much as it's going to. At least I can cover most of it with clothes. Looking at one of my incision scars I want to laugh when I notice that the surgeon seemed frustrated trying to close the incision with so much left over skin. Still he did a remarkable job. For now the collagen I get will have to come from food.

Comment

@ Rosemary 231: Why not buy $35 worth from Amazon? Gelatin will keep "forever." Or, surely, there's SOMEthing else on Amazon that you use or would use. I buy the two big cans of Knox for about $20.

Gelatin will not readily dissolve in tepid water. Maybe with enough time, but I've not experimented. On days when I make a soup. gelatin goes in. Other days, I stir 4 TBSP in about a cup of cold water, stir, and chug. Easy enough.

Comment

for 10 gms of glycine from gelatin alone, i would need to get down 9-10 tablespoons of gelatin daily. that's a lot more than i am consuming now. am going to be more diligent about my bone broth consumption since that waxes and wanes more than it should, but i just factor in gelatin as part of my grocery budget.

eta: 5 pounds of gelatin from amazon would easily exceed $35 and qualify for free shipping, but it needs warm or hot liquid to dissolve.
                      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I'll make a batch of three smoothies on a Monday evening and drink one on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday morning. They don't lose any nutrition or taste over three days. If it separates, just stir it with a spoon.
                        5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
                          I'll make a batch of three smoothies on a Monday evening and drink one on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday morning. They don't lose any nutrition or taste over three days. If it separates, just stir it with a spoon.
                          Or eat real, as we were made for, not pre-masticated food...............

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
                            Or eat real, as we were made for, not pre-masticated food...............
                            Pre-mastication was not my intent and, quite possibly, not Oxide's either. Re-read the first sentence of my original post.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
                              This is good to know. I can make two or three smoothies ahead and if they do separate they can be stirred or shaken back together. Quietly.

Comment

Working...
                              X