Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Pre-mastication was not my intent and, quite possibly, not Oxide's either. Re-read the first sentence of my original post.
    I never said it was your intention. I'm saying that's what a smoothie/shake is, pre-masticated food. For healthy people, not what evolution intended.

You can "shake", pun intended, things up by eating other whole, real foods. Make some soup, have a hamburger, eat a salad. I love classic breakfasts, but I still move things around just for the hell of it.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
      I never said it was your intention. I'm saying that's what a smoothie/shake is, pre-masticated food. For healthy people, not what evolution intended.

You can "shake", pun intended, things up by eating other whole, real foods. Make some soup, have a hamburger, eat a salad. I love classic breakfasts, but I still move things around just for the hell of it.
      Once I get the hang of chewing my coffee we'll be on the same page.

Comment

If you're making a smoothy the night before, just don't put whey protein in it. The consistency gets really gross.

Do you have access to plantains? Paleo pancakes are DELICIOUS and the batter keeps many days in the fridge.
        Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
          If you're making a smoothy the night before, just don't put whey protein in it. The consistency gets really gross.

I'll surely remember that.

Do you have access to plantains? Paleo pancakes are DELICIOUS and the batter keeps many days in the fridge.
          We do have plantains available but I've been cautious because of the high carb and sugar content. For the same reason I don't eat bananas.

Comment

We do have plantains available but I've been cautious because of the high carb and sugar content. For the same reason I don't eat bananas.
            You use green ones for plantain pancakes, they're pure starch but don't taste the least bit sugary. Here's the recipe I use: http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/09/p...-pancakes.html I generally cut it in half, though, and drastically reduce the coconut oil. Two teaspoons works. However, you can't eliminate the oil entirely. I tried that once and while what I got was delicious, it was not a pancake.

These pancakes taste just like grain ones. I tricked my mom with them once. However, you mentioned problems with sugar... the pancakes themselves are not sweet AT ALL, but if you require maple syrup, well, that's a problem. What you can do to flavor them is add lemon zest, blueberries, cinnamon, orange zest... whatever combo tweaks your fancy. Then you can top with more fruit or possibly kefir, if you need a topping. I personally can eat them straight. My mom can't though, she has to add maple syrup. *shrugs*

Anyway, this is a great recipe to break breakfast monotony. Another thing I sometimes do for breakfast is a paleo breakfast wrap... egg with fermented salsa, wrapped in lettuce leaves with guacamole on top.

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Per the USDA, plantains actually have significantly more calories, carbs, and sugars in them. Could be the type of sugar, some are far less sweet than glucose, some sweeter to us, like fructose.

Comment

Wildrose . . . sorry I forgot to click "Quote".
                Thanks for the recipe. I've really been curious to try plantains.
                Last edited by Rosemary 231; 02-14-2016, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Per the USDA, plantains actually have significantly more calories, carbs, and sugars in them. Could be the type of sugar, some are far less sweet than glucose, some sweeter to us, like fructose.
                  That's probably ripe vs green. Ripe plantains are sweeter than a banana while the green are pure nastiness unless you cook the hell out of them. Worse than a green banana.

Comment

I had a lot of loose skin and I hoped it would help.
                    I know people with this problem so I was wondering if it helped at all? I take vitamin C and gelatin and have for years.

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                      I know people with this problem so I was wondering if it helped at all? I take vitamin C and gelatin and have for years.
                      That was back in the early days after I lost all the weight. I can't say I noticed any difference but maybe I didn't take it long enough. I was taking a tablespoon 3 times a day but it got so expensive I had to quit. It wasn't just the additional $10 increase in purchases to qualify for Amazon's free shipping but the gelatin went up drastically too.

Comment

That was back in the early days after I lost all the weight. I can't say I noticed any difference but maybe I didn't take it long enough. I was taking a tablespoon 3 times a day but it got so expensive I had to quit. It wasn't just the additional $10 increase in purchases to qualify for Amazon's free shipping but the gelatin went up drastically too.
                        As I said, Knox gelatin may be had on Amazon for about $20 for two pounds, or 130 tablespoons if I've done my math correctly. That's two months worth at 2 TBL/day.

Comment

As I said, Knox gelatin may be had on Amazon for about $20 for two pounds, or 130 tablespoons if I've done my math correctly. That's two months worth at 2 TBL/day.
                          Thanks, I'll go over an look around. My daughter has Amazon Prime, she could order it for me and get the free shipping if it's a Prime product.

Comment

Working...
                          X