Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
    I don't think sugar is inherently fattening. In fact, it has a higher thermic effect than fat.
    No, sugar isn't inherently fattening. It's energy, readily used except for the indirect metabolism of fructose. But it is unhealthy in large consumption. But again, that's the fructose rearing its ugly head.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
      Why drain? That's what Greek style is.
      I like the resulting dense contents.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
        I like the resulting dense contents.
        You can still drink the whey, it's great stuff.

Or buy it Greek at the store, they dispose of the whey into other food products.

Comment

No, sugar isn't inherently fattening. It's energy, readily used except for the indirect metabolism of fructose. But it is unhealthy in large consumption. But again, that's the fructose rearing its ugly head.
          I disagree with that, too. And what makes fructose metabolism "indirect?" The first step in burning glucose is to convert it to glucose-6-phosphate, which is then converted to fructose-6-phosphate. So glucose metabolism seems more indirect than fructose metabolism, considering that glucose has an extra step of conversion into fructose (6-phosophate).
          My opinions and some justification

Comment

You can still drink the whey, it's great stuff.

Or buy it Greek at the store, they dispose of the whey into other food products.
            I understand, possibly in error, that the whey is where the sugar ends up, eventually.

I don't think I've ever bought Greek yogurt so I can't witness to how dense it is. I will, however, buy a cup of it and give it a try. Any suggestions? The yogurt I drain myself becomes very stiff, about like cream cheese. If store bought can come close to that I'll save myself the trouble.

Comment

If you want to determine how much added sugar something has, as opposed to natural sugars, find the plain version and compare it to the one you're thinking of buying.

I mostly just buy plain but once in a while I'll buy the sweetened stuff. I just keep in mind how many grams of real sugar I'm getting.
              Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
                If you want to determine how much added sugar something has, as opposed to natural sugars, find the plain version and compare it to the one you're thinking of buying.

I mostly just buy plain but once in a while I'll buy the sweetened stuff. I just keep in mind how many grams of real sugar I'm getting.
                And that's a very good plan. I appear to be "straining at a gnat" over the sugar issue but I have a severe sugar addiction. It can't be tasted so much in dairy products but it's lurking there and I keep careful watch on it. I'm very cautious about even having the taste of sweet in my mouth, think cough drops, or even sweet potatoes or anything with artificial sweeteners, it can push me over the edge and I can be found, having fallen off the wagon, gorging on sweets until I'm finally satisfied or nauseated.

Comment

am pretty sure fage yogurt is the most widely-available greek-style yogurt out there. lots of yogurt labels say "greek" on them but are full of all sorts of junk -- often thickeners and stabilizers to mask an inferior product.. read the labels carefully before you buy. it doesn't make sense to me to buy yogurt only to drain it and throw out a good percentage of what you paid for.
                  As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                    am pretty sure fage yogurt is the most widely-available greek-style yogurt out there. lots of yogurt labels say "greek" on them but are full of all sorts of junk -- often thickeners and stabilizers to mask an inferior product.. read the labels carefully before you buy. it doesn't make sense to me to buy yogurt only to drain it and throw out a good percentage of what you paid for.
                    I agree. Fage is very available but 2% fat are the most I can get. We also have a Trader Joe's not far. I believe they have full fat and Greek yogurt.
                    Few minutes later . . . I went and actually looked up Trader Joe's Greek yogurt. They have it but it's all non-fat.

Comment

tj's makes a european style plain yogurt that is very good and comes full-fat.

if you're eating 1/2 servings to keep down the carbs, i wouldn't worry about 2% vs. full-fat if you can't find it. plenty of ways to get fat in your diet.
                      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                        tj's makes a european style plain yogurt that is very good and comes full-fat.

if you're eating 1/2 servings to keep down the carbs, i wouldn't worry about 2% vs. full-fat if you can't find it. plenty of ways to get fat in your diet.
                        I agree. I'm way overthinking this. If nothing else Fage 2% it is.

Comment

Working...
                        X