Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• appropriate calorie range?

How many calories should I be aiming for to lose 1-2 lbs a week? My fitness pal has me at 1300 calories to lose 2 lbs a week. I'm actually having trouble getting near that goal because I'm not hungry most of the time. I eat big salads with meat or a couple of wrap made from a cabbage leaf, meat, avacado and I'm full for a long time. I'm aiming to go from my current weight of 218 to about 140lbs over the next year or so. I have heard that eating too little messes up your metabolism. I don't want to do that, but I don't want to eat when I'm not hungry.

Also, what are your favorite meals/ snacks? I need ideas to change things up.

losing 80 pounds in a year is very aggressive and suggesting that 1300 cals per day will regularly translate to 2 pounds per week may be optimistic. looks like you are eating lc, so there should be a pretty big initial drop. don't be discouraged if you see a halt after week 3-4. 1300 cals is pretty low -- do you have any idea how much you were eating before? it takes a long time for the metabolism to down-regulate and you have plenty of "energy stores" on your body right now. if you're not hungry, don't eat.

when did you make the switch to primal?

are you moving or exercising in any way?

i don't snack.

most of my protein these days is from eggs, fish and gelatin. meat just a few times per month.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
      losing 80 pounds in a year is very aggressive and suggesting that 1300 cals per day will regularly translate to 2 pounds per week may be optimistic. looks like you are eating lc, so there should be a pretty big initial drop. don't be discouraged if you see a halt after week 3-4. 1300 cals is pretty low -- do you have any idea how much you were eating before? it takes a long time for the metabolism to down-regulate and you have plenty of "energy stores" on your body right now. if you're not hungry, don't eat.

when did you make the switch to primal?

are you moving or exercising in any way?

i don't snack.

most of my protein these days is from eggs, fish and gelatin. meat just a few times per month.

I was eating anywhere from 1300 calories to 2000 calories daily but high carb and low fat. I ate that way for a really long time, usually lower on the calorie range. I've kept track of my calories for years but weight just seemed to slowly go up, add to that 6 pregnancies in 10 yrs and mostly carb diet. My metabolism has always been pretty slow but after my last baby its now at snail speed.

My brother lost 180 lbs in 2 years eating low carb/high fat several years ago and has kept it off. He ate the same way I did before as well. Not very many calories and mostly carbs. I feel if he can lose weight and keep it off I can too, so I made the change about 2 weeks ago. I tried low carb, high fat a few years ago and it was starting to work well but then I got pregnant and was worried about eating low carb while pregnant. I tried to be moderate but fell off the wagon pretty quick when I would be sick if I ate anything but starch.

Anyway, we are done having kids and I need to get healthy. My kids are little gazells and I need to keep up with them. I am almost always up and moving around but currently dont work out. I have a part time job cleaning a 5000 sq ft house/office combo. I don't really count that as physical workout. I haul about 7 loads of wood, 6-9 peices each, into the house once a week. We homeschool and I have been trying to find a time to break away for a workout but havent been able to work it into my routine yet. The best time I can find is between 9 and 11 pm but I'm usually kind of worn out then. Maybe I will just have to suck it up and do it anyway, lol.

Ive lost 2 lbs since switching to low carb, high fat. Im sure its just water though.
      Last edited by Ann; 02-13-2016, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann View Post
        I've kept track of my calories for years but weight just seemed to slowly go up, add to that 6 pregnancies in 10 yrs and mostly carb diet.
        Hi Ann.

We just had one of our infamous Calorie fights on this forum so I really am not trying to re stoke the embers of that fight. But honestly, your statement about counting Calories for years is the epitome of what most of us anti-calorie counters keep trying to say. May I respectfully suggest that you rethink the question you have posed here. Calorie counting is a terrible tool for weight management.

Rather than go back into the science of why, just let me say that you've made the first correct step. Cutting carbs. There's no need to cut out wholesome fibrous vegetables, but at this early stage avoid the high carbs from grains, sugars and other starches.

The next step you should employ is to throw away all Calorie thinking. Calorie counting, as I'm sure your experience has shown you, keeps you hungry. As long as that hunger hormone rages, weightloss is difficult. You can calm that hungry beast down with early morning protein. Try to consume at least 50g in your first meal of the day. If the hunger is tamed, it doesn't much matter how many "Calories" you've consumed.

While in weightloss mode, be careful how you think about "high fat". If you keep your carbs at 50 or fewer grams per day, your body is going to start looking for fat to burn. Your own body is your best source. Make yourself eat it's own fat. This doesn't mean you can't enjoy any dietary fat. Just don't get caught up too far in "high fat" to mean high dietary fat. That comes later, when you've lost the body fat you're wanting to lose.

Don't get too caught up in any heavy exercise mode yet either. Walking is wonderful and some body weight resistance exercise is also good. You can always increase exercise levels later when your weight is where you want it.

Read the "Primal Blueprint 101" post by Mark Sisson at the "Start Here" tab above. Especially study and consider the "Carb Curve" that's mentioned.

Good luck.
        Last edited by John Caton; 02-14-2016, 05:14 AM.
        Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
        Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
          Hi Ann.

We just had one of our infamous Calorie fights on this forum so I really am not trying to re stoke the embers of that fight. But honestly, your statement about counting Calories for years is the epitome of what most of us anti-calorie counters keep trying to say. May I respectfully suggest that you rethink the question you have posed here. Calorie counting is a terrible tool for weight management.

Rather than go back into the science of why, just let me say that you've made the first correct step. Cutting carbs. There's no need to cut out wholesome fibrous vegetables, but at this early stage avoid the high carbs from grains, sugars and other starches.

The next step you should employ is to throw away all Calorie thinking. Calorie counting, as I'm sure your experience has shown you, keeps you hungry. As long as that hunger hormone rages, weightloss is difficult. You can calm that hungry beast down with early morning protein. Try to consume at least 50g in your first meal of the day. If the hunger is tamed, it doesn't much matter how many "Calories" you've consumed.

While in weightloss mode, be careful how you think about "high fat". If you keep your carbs at 50 or fewer grams per day, your body is going to start looking for fat to burn. Your own body is your best source. Make yourself eat it's own fat. This doesn't mean you can't enjoy any dietary fat. Just don't get caught up too far in "high fat" to mean high dietary fat. That comes later, when you've lost the body fat you're wanting to lose.

Don't get too caught up in any heavy exercise mode yet either. Walking is wonderful and some body weight resistance exercise is also good. You can always increase exercise levels later when your weight is where you want it.

Read the "Primal Blueprint 101" post by Mark Sisson at the "Start Here" tab above. Especially study and consider the "Carb Curve" that's mentioned.

Good luck.
          How many grams of fat shout I aim for a day? Yesterday I was at 84 grams and the day before was 72. My carbs were 30 yesterday and 48 the day before after subtracting fiber.
          Last edited by Ann; 02-14-2016, 07:08 AM.

Comment

How many grams of fat shout I aim for a day? Yesterday I was at 84 grams and the day before was 72. My carbs were 27 yesterday and 48 the day before after subtracting fiber.
            I don't know. How fast do you want to lose weight? Every gram of fat you DON'T EAT is a gram you will burn off your body.

My advice wasn't to target a fat level. It was to limit carbs, as thankfully you are doing, and to use protein as your primary macro, especially at your first meal. While eating whole food protein, you will naturally also get dietary fat. Don't measure it and don't worry about it. What I'm saying about fat is, don't ADD additional fats right now to any great extent. Use hunger as your guide. Limit carbs and eat protein to shut down hunger.

The advice I'm giving is not intended to be a permanent thing. No one can sustain it permanently. It is intended to cause a hormone shift so your body looks for fat instead of carbs and revives your sensitivity to hunger signals so you don't have to count anything. That shift takes 3-8 weeks. After that time, you'll instinctively sense what foods will support your continued weight loss and later maintenance.

I fought that yoyo, calorie counting and exercise monster for decades myself. I became Primal for a completely different reason. I had no idea it would resolve my weight issues. When weight started peeling off it actually scared me. I thought I was messing up my hormones trying to resolve joint problems. I quickly learned that was resolved and my long fought battle with weight control had been won too, as a bonus. I haven't counted Calories for two years now. I never counted fat grams. I counted carbs and protein for a while but soon I could tell by sight, what an appropriate portion was required to satisfy my hunger.

Comment

What I know is that you shouldn't eat less than 1200 in a day for your health and safety. If you are having trouble getting enough calories add healthy fat to your food or eat some nuts.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by primaldancer View Post
                What I know is that you shouldn't eat less than 1200 in a day for your health and safety. If you are having trouble getting enough calories add healthy fat to your food or eat some nuts.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Ok, good to know. I don't think I go that low often. Maybe once in a while if its been a really busy day or if I'm sick.

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
                  Hi Ann.

We just had one of our infamous Calorie fights on this forum so I really am not trying to re stoke the embers of that fight.
                  Oh, sure you are, John!

Comment

Originally posted by primaldancer View Post
                    Ok, good to know. I don't think I go that low often. Maybe once in a while if its been a really busy day or if I'm sick.
                    a day with zero calories isn't going to hurt you, so don't worry about occasionally "undereating". as mentioned, you have plenty of energy stores on you! if you're sick and not hungry, your body doesn't want or need food to digest. it's busy with other chores.

after years of tracking and counting, i am sure you can pretty accurately total your intake mentally anyway -- it's second nature, at this point, isn't it?

make sure what you do consume is nutrient-dense: eggs, shellfish, finfish, oogly bits, meat; non-starchy veggies, low-sugar fruits; dairy if you tolerate it. protein is the most sating of the macros so don't skimp.

stay away from powders, shakes, bars, etc.

all those kids in 10 years is a big physical toll on a woman's body, so be kind to yourself as you rebuild your health. what your brother lost in 2 years has little bearing on what your body will do. men lose faster than women and has he had 6 kids?

if you and the kids are home all day, can't you break up the schooling with some physical activity periods? plenty of free stuff on youtube... it doesn't have to be anything crazy, just stuff that moves the big muscle groups.
                    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                      a day with zero calories isn't going to hurt you, so don't worry about occasionally "undereating". as mentioned, you have plenty of energy stores on you! if you're sick and not hungry, your body doesn't want or need food to digest. it's busy with other chores.

after years of tracking and counting, i am sure you can pretty accurately total your intake mentally anyway -- it's second nature, at this point, isn't it?

make sure what you do consume is nutrient-dense: eggs, shellfish, finfish, oogly bits, meat; non-starchy veggies, low-sugar fruits; dairy if you tolerate it. protein is the most sating of the macros so don't skimp.

stay away from powders, shakes, bars, etc.

all those kids in 10 years is a big physical toll on a woman's body, so be kind to yourself as you rebuild your health. what your brother lost in 2 years has little bearing on what your body will do. men lose faster than women and has he had 6 kids?

if you and the kids are home all day, can't you break up the schooling with some physical activity periods? plenty of free stuff on youtube... it doesn't have to be anything crazy, just stuff that moves the big muscle groups.
                      I have tried to work out with videos but my 4 yr old and 2 yr old tend to get in the way. We do yoga now and then because my 8 yr old is a little type A personality and needs it to be calm and at peace. I try to do yoga with her but I usually end up keeping the small ones occupied so they don't climb on her. It's a small house so we are almost always in each other's space.

Usually the kids have large chunks of time outside through the day. The toddler goes out with me or big sis but not as long as the others. I use their outdoor time to clean up the house, prep meals or grade work.
                      Thinks will get easier when the younger two get a bit older, it's certainly easier than when they were babies.

Maybe I can use resistance bands or weights while I'm in between helping kids? I'll keep looking for opportunities to work out. I know I will have more opportunities this summer will include of yard work, including push mowing a hilly acre, cutting wood from 5 trees that need to come down, etc.

Comment

you sure do have your hands full!

you know what to do. just be patient and keep moving forward. weight loss won't be linear either, so be mindful of that.

good luck!

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

If you keep your carbs at 50 or fewer grams per day, your body is going to start looking for fat to burn.
                          If Ann eats 50 g carbs and 50 g fat, and, say 90 g protein, that's 1010 calories. Just sayin'.

I do not agree that we should throw away ALL calorie thinking. In the PB book, Mark advocates calculating the rough total calories. Then you configure your macros to fit that total.
                          5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

John Caton, can I quickly clarify something? You wrote in one of your posts: "if you keep your carbs at 50 or fewer grams per day, your body is going to start looking for fat to burn".

Does that 50 grams of carbohydrates include counting the carbohydrates from non-starchy vegetables?

Appreciate your help, I always find your posts so informative.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange View Post
                              John Caton, can I quickly clarify something? You wrote in one of your posts: "if you keep your carbs at 50 or fewer grams per day, your body is going to start looking for fat to burn".

Does that 50 grams of carbohydrates include counting the carbohydrates from non-starchy vegetables?

Appreciate your help, I always find your posts so informative.
                              There's no need to count non-starchy vegetables. Count sugars and remember that starches ARE sugars, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X