Ad Widget

Collapse

Do you eat until full?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do you eat until full?

    In my former eating life (before I started eating fairly low carb back in Aug of 2014) I would often eat until full. Even eating until I was ready to almost pop, it seemed. But, since Aug of 2014, I don't do that any more. In fact, I rarely do it. I prepare my meal, decide how much I will eat, and that is it. I just eat until (barely) satisfied. What do you do? How much do you eat at one time? Do you eat until full?

    Patricia
    53 yr old female, 5' 3"
    Starting Weight 182 (July 2014)
    Current Weight 160
    Goal Weight 140

    “I don’t have difficulty believing in miracles, since I experienced the miracle of a change in my own heart – only God could do that.” St. Augustine

  • #2
    Full, yes.

    Pop, no.
    https://instagram.com/dinnerwithek/

    Comment


    • #3
      Lately I have been eating beyond the point of full. It has become a bad habit and one I need to rectify. I'm attributing it to stress but I just can't seem to stop. I blame it on primal food tasting so darn good!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ekba09 View Post
        Full, yes.

        Pop, no.
        Exactly.
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

        Comment


        • #5
          The limit to full or pop is changing. Some days I eat for two and feel fine and some daysI can get away with much less. Depends on stress, digestion, workout and discipline. But usually, after a few days of eating less until fairly full a day of pop pops up. Calorie cycling by nature?

          Comment


          • #6
            You are practicing the approach I favor. I believe that if you pay attention to the hunger signals from your body eat accordingly, you will do quite well. I also think the corollary to eating that way is to adjust your time of eating, if possible with your schedule, you don't eat at fixed times, just when your body tells you to.
            Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
            My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rig D View Post
              You are practicing the approach I favor. I believe that if you pay attention to the hunger signals from your body eat accordingly, you will do quite well. I also think the corollary to eating that way is to adjust your time of eating, if possible with your schedule, you don't eat at fixed times, just when your body tells you to.
              th OP or me?

              Comment


              • #8
                I eat until I don't want to eat - I think another way of saying until I'm satisfied - not assessing feeling full or not full, never reaching discomfort.
                Last edited by liza; 02-15-2016, 07:39 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I discovered mealtime is a poor time to judge portions. I shop & cook once per week so after each dinner there's really no option for more (unless I want to dig out carrots & celery). If I'm consistently hungry I'll adjust next week's list.
                  37//6'3"/185

                  My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    With yours,Gergirl. To me, your opening "The limit to full or pop is changing" was/is not clear on what you meant. But what you are doing in the balance of the post seems to be pretty much in line with what I like, where listening to what your body is telling you drives your consumption. I'm OK with what Patricia is doing, although her approach reads like she is deciding on how much of the food to eat before she starts, and if that is accurate, I wouldn't go with that approach.
                    What I do and recommend to others as a starting point with PB:
                    A. Eat the foods recommended on PB. I don't count calories, carbs or anything else.
                    B. Eat when hungry, stop when no longer hungry (not full)
                    C. Don't eat "by the clock" on a routine schedule.
                    Where I had difficulty was in learning to identify "no longer hungry." Growing up, I was a "clean your plate" kid, lived in the deep south and had lots of fried foods and my Mom was a great cook and bread baker. Through most of adult life, I ate until stuffed, I'd clean all the food off the table, I now joke that I was on the "see food" diet. It took me a long time to learn how to identify when I should stop, and one of the big things PB did for me was to kill that "eat it all" appetite I had. The approach I took in deciding when to stop was to take a small serving initially, eat that, wait a few minutes and decide if I really needed seconds. If so, my seconds serving was smaller than my first. And for the rare thirds, smaller than seconds.
                    Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
                    My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It takes 20 minutes or so for your brain to catch up with your body. Which is why you eat a meal and still want more. Which is why some recommend eating a bit 20-30 minutes ahead of eating.

                      I couldn't possibly eat until registering as "full." A sure way to consume 5000 cals/day.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Rig D View Post
                        With yours,Gergirl. To me, your opening "The limit to full or pop is changing" was/is not clear on what you meant. But what you are doing in the balance of the post seems to be pretty much in line with what I like, where listening to what your body is telling you drives your consumption. I'm OK with what Patricia is doing, although her approach reads like she is deciding on how much of the food to eat before she starts, and if that is accurate, I wouldn't go with that approach.
                        What I do and recommend to others as a starting point with PB:
                        A. Eat the foods recommended on PB. I don't count calories, carbs or anything else.
                        B. Eat when hungry, stop when no longer hungry (not full)
                        C. Don't eat "by the clock" on a routine schedule.
                        Where I had difficulty was in learning to identify "no longer hungry." Growing up, I was a "clean your plate" kid, lived in the deep south and had lots of fried foods and my Mom was a great cook and bread baker. Through most of adult life, I ate until stuffed, I'd clean all the food off the table, I now joke that I was on the "see food" diet. It took me a long time to learn how to identify when I should stop, and one of the big things PB did for me was to kill that "eat it all" appetite I had. The approach I took in deciding when to stop was to take a small serving initially, eat that, wait a few minutes and decide if I really needed seconds. If so, my seconds serving was smaller than my first. And for the rare thirds, smaller than seconds.
                        Sorry for my german English
                        What I meant was, that the portion needed to feel full/satified/stuffed is smaller or bigger. It is due to activity level during a day and the things I named.
                        Last edited by gergirl; 02-15-2016, 10:49 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Generally I stop somewhere between satisfied and full. I weigh and measure my portions for tracking purposes, so I mostly stay in that range. As a graduate of WW, I have a general idea of how much is satisfying to me (ex. beef 4-5 ounces, usually 4 at lunch and 5 at dinner). Sometimes I am doing something else while eating and end up not finishing my portion, so I put it in a container to finish alter.

                          Every once in a while, I portion out too much and eat it all without paying attention. It ends up being a little uncomfortable.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Gergirl, no apologies needed for your English, it seems quite good to me. I managed to survive 1 year of German in college, but I was a totally lost cause. I'm fortunate to live where I do, where I can get by just fine with some facility in one language. Don't know how you people in Europe, with small countries and many languages handle it.
                            I couldn't possibly eat until registering as "full." A sure way to consume 5000 cals/day.
                            Ha, I found it all too easy. No doubt that is why I once hit 300 lbs
                            Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
                            My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Rig D View Post
                              Gergirl, no apologies needed for your English, it seems quite good to me. I managed to survive 1 year of German in college, but I was a totally lost cause. I'm fortunate to live where I do, where I can get by just fine with some facility in one language. Don't know how you people in Europe, with small countries and many languages handle it.

                              Ha, I found it all too easy. No doubt that is why I once hit 300 lbs
                              We all learn English at school for a higher degree you have to learn a second foreign language. Mine was French. But off topic here.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X