Ad Widget

Collapse

In terms of muscle building, does the type of protein you eat matter?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In terms of muscle building, does the type of protein you eat matter?

I know there's good proteins like from meat, fish and eggs, then there's the not so good proteins like gluten from wheat, legumes like peanuts, hydrolysed vegetable protein in pork scratchings, etc. I know that the healthier protein sources will have better effects on your overall health, but when it comes to muscle building and hitting the grams of protein you need, is a gram a gram?

Different sources have different amino acid profiles. Since we are animals and have animal muscles, animal based protein has the best profile for our muscle growth. I'm know there are vegetarians who can probably recommend combinations of things like rice and beans to get the full suite of amino acids required for muscle growth, but I think you also get a bunch of other stuff -- not to mention a high ratio of carbs to protein. That may be good if you are high carb, but definitely will take out out of Mark's carb curve.

Comment

Originally posted by miata View Post
      Different sources have different amino acid profiles. Since we are animals and have animal muscles, animal based protein has the best profile for our muscle growth. I'm know there are vegetarians who can probably recommend combinations of things like rice and beans to get the full suite of amino acids required for muscle growth, but I think you also get a bunch of other stuff -- not to mention a high ratio of carbs to protein. That may be good if you are high carb, but definitely will take out out of Mark's carb curve.
      Keep protein sources animal based, but since few of us follow whole animal consumption, take in plenty of gelatin therewith.
      Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
      Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

These vegan guys seem to do alright with plant proteins.

Patrik Baboumian - Strength athlete

Torre Washington - Bodybuilder

Jon Venus & Vegan Gains - YouTubers

....and many many more.
        Last edited by KimLean125byMar15; 02-29-2016, 05:25 PM.
        *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (January 2015) * Current Wt - 113 lbs (November 2016)
        *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
        *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

Comment

What I learned loooong time ago. that I suppose is still valid, is that incomplete protein from starches etc, will be "upgraded" in the body if you also get some quality proteins from animal sources. So proteins from beans or bread etc will be used for synthesis or repairment of body tissues together with the quality proteins from milk, eggs or meat etc...
          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
            ...take in plenty of gelatin therewith.
            How much is plenty?

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
              How much is plenty?
              Two tablespoons of gelatin contains 22g of protein, 6+ grams of which is glycine, the targeted amino acid. Assuming we're getting sufficient animal protein otherwise, that should suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by KimLean125byMar15 View Post
                [B]These vegan guys seem to do alright with plant proteins.
                ....and many many more.
                Hardly typical ...

If not for the abnormality, there would be no reason for them being the subject of these videos. Freaks are interesting and have considerable entertainment value. A typical human isn't going to have those bodies and certainly not through a vegan diet. Possible? Obviously it's possible, but requires 100% micromanagement and heavy supplementation. In the end, they can say, "LOOK AT ME".

Comment

Two tablespoons of gelatin contains 22g of protein, 6+ grams of which is glycine, the targeted amino acid. Assuming we're getting sufficient animal protein otherwise, that should suffice.
                  I take 11g/d of Great Lakes Hydrolysate. Been doing that for a year or so. It dramatically reduced the minor joint aches and pains I used to get. Doubling my daily dose might make things even better but it gets pretty pricey. Just bought another 8 lb bag this morning for me and my wife. I got her on it about 6 months ago and she is experiencing far less hip pain.

Comment

Originally posted by KimLean125byMar15 View Post
                    These vegan guys seem to do alright with plant proteins.

Patrik Baboumian - Strength athlete

Torre Washington - Bodybuilder

Jon Venus & Vegan Gains - YouTubers

....and many many more.
                    A little juice don't hurt either....

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
                      I take 11g/d of Great Lakes Hydrolysate. Been doing that for a year or so. It dramatically reduced the minor joint aches and pains I used to get. Doubling my daily dose might make things even better but it gets pretty pricey. Just bought another 8 lb bag this morning for me and my wife. I got her on it about 6 months ago and she is experiencing far less hip pain.
                      Any progress is progress.

Comment

Hardly typical ...

If not for the abnormality, there would be no reason for them being the subject of these videos. Freaks are interesting and have considerable entertainment value. A typical human isn't going to have those bodies and certainly not through a vegan diet. Possible? Obviously it's possible, but requires 100% micromanagement and heavy supplementation. In the end, they can say, "LOOK AT ME".
                        Not only that, but there have been many surveys that show vegans and vegetarians fudging a lot. The vegan who forgets, intentionally or not, that she had fish a few weeks ago. Ninety five percent vegan, so let's call it 100 percent. Or they supplement with B12, at the least. I'd be real surprised if vegan body builders, the competitive ones, aren't on steroids. You have to wonder what that and all the soy foods are doing for their testicles.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
                          Not only that, but there have been many surveys that show vegans and vegetarians fudging a lot. The vegan who forgets, intentionally or not, that she had fish a few weeks ago. Ninety five percent vegan, so let's call it 100 percent.Or they supplement with B12, at the least. I'd be real surprised if vegan body builders, the competitive ones, aren't on steroids.
                          -If they're lying about 5%, are you going to attribute their awesome physiques to that 5%? Really? It was the fish from 2 weeks ago?

-As for supplements, aren't there numerous supplements sold on this site? And aren't the majority here meat eaters? Why do they need them?

-As for bodybuilding and steroids, are you going to suggest the only juicers are the vegan ones? Less than 5% of all of US is vegan....sooo, pretty sure >95% of bodybuilders are meat eaters. If you're going to say the vegans only look like that coz they're juicing, then they're not the only ones are they? More importantly, the point is that their vegan diets must not be a limiting factor if they're able to look pretty much like other meat eating competitors.

Hardly typical ...

If not for the abnormality, there would be no reason for them being the subject of these videos. Freaks are interesting and have considerable entertainment value. A typical human isn't going to have those bodies and certainly not through a vegan diet.
                          Just thought I'd add some more random vegan athletes ...Umm, these folks look like pretty typical, regular athletes....

The superfit Tim Shieff - Vegan, freerunner, last man standing on Ninja Warrior UK 2015.

Footballer

John, these look like regular fit men and women to me, not freaks!!
                          Last edited by KimLean125byMar15; 03-02-2016, 02:33 PM.
                          *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (January 2015) * Current Wt - 113 lbs (November 2016)
                          *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
                          *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

Comment

This guy is a vegan. Definitely possible to be badass and vegan,especially if you are genetically predisposed. I bet they could be even more badass with a paleo/primal approach. But if it's ethics I guess to each their own.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Whoops. Forgot the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=av7IwBfF5m8

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X