Ad Widget

Collapse

In terms of muscle building, does the type of protein you eat matter?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Meat, eggs, and dairy are great sources for protein.
    What about wild-caught shrimps?

Comment

I certainly don't recommend wheat or gluten protein but the folks at Ergo reported that as long as you include leucine then various other proteins, including wheat, are just as effective as whey. http://www.ergo-log.com/added-leucin...c-as-whey.html

Comment

Originally posted by coolrain View Post
        What about wild-caught shrimps?
        Another good choice.
        Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
        Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by KimLean125byMar15 View Post
          Do they have a choice but to adhere to paleo dogma that says you can't eat legumes because: -
          I'm surprised it took so long for the "cult-card" to be played. The admonition against eating legumes is not "dogma", it is simply prudent dietary advice.

Can legumes be processed into nutritious sources of protein, carbs (including fiber) and fats? Of course, they can. But, cooking only diminishes the anti-nutrients to a degree. Soaking and then cooking is better. Sprouting and then cooking is even better. Fermenting is a good approach. Preparing legumes primally requires some work and energy, but it is doable. Same thing with most grains if one insists on following that route.

However, the point you've raised and the one we are countering is the faulty belief (speaking of dogma) that 100% Vegan is compatible with human nutritional needs. It simply isn't.

Comment

As I mentioned above getting some complete protein from animal sources will upgrade incomplete protein also. Take gelatin as an example, while an animal protein it does not contain essensial amino acids, but the body will still use it for synthesis because it combines with other incoming amino acids. And the same with proteins from beans, soy or broccoli etc; as long as you get SOME milk or egg protein on top of a diet high in vegetal protein - then it may be enough for strength athletisism.

Finding the percentage you really need from animal sources is a legitimate question though; lets say a person need 120 gram of protein for optimal musclebuilding, how much of this has to come from animal protein sources or how little animal protein is it possible to get away with?
            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
              As I mentioned above getting some complete protein from animal sources will upgrade incomplete protein also. Take gelatin as an example, while an animal protein it does not contain essensial amino acids, but the body will still use it for synthesis because it combines with other incoming amino acids. And the same with proteins from beans, soy or broccoli etc; as long as you get SOME milk or egg protein on top of a diet high in vegetal protein - then it may be enough for strength athletisism.

Finding the percentage you really need from animal sources is a legitimate question though; lets say a person need 120 gram of protein for optimal musclebuilding, how much of this has to come from animal protein sources or how little animal protein is it possible to get away with?
              Excellent point and question that gets to the heart of the matter. I doubt there are chemical differences between plant/animal sources at the constituent amino acid level. But, the needs per amino acid matter. We must also be aware of psudo-nonessential amino acids. The body may synthesize them, but not sufficiently to be at ideal levels. Glycine is an exsmple. That's why gelatin supplementation is so good.

My objection to using plant sources exclusively is based on the attendant anti-nutrients in the sources if not prepared in a primal traditional manner.
              Last edited by John Caton; 03-04-2016, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
                Another good choice.
                Thanks.

Comment

So there are some vegan body builders out there. So what. Every family has got an Uncle Joe who smoked a packed every day and lived until he was 90. Are we all supposed to light up now? Be my guest, but I'll pass.

One thing all these vegans have in common is that they are YOUNG. Come on back when you're 50 and not spending hours in a gym working out or oiling yourself up. That's where the real advantage of Paleo/Primal is. It works more easily, more swiftly, more often, for more people, more body types, and for more age groups, than any veggie or vegan diet. It's not everything, but it's the majority.
                  5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
                    So there are some vegan body builders out there. So what. Every family has got an Uncle Joe who smoked a packed every day and lived until he was 90. Are we all supposed to light up now? Be my guest, but I'll pass.

One thing all these vegans have in common is that they are YOUNG. Come on back when you're 50 and not spending hours in a gym working out or oiling yourself up. That's where the real advantage of Paleo/Primal is. It works more easily, more swiftly, more often, for more people, more body types, and for more age groups, than any veggie or vegan diet. It's not everything, but it's the majority.
                    I don't consider vegan bodybuilders as any kind of indicator of anything - simply because IMHO vast majority of them (if not all) are also taking in (probably vast) quantities of steroids and/or other PEDs.

Comment

Working...
                    X