Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to expect when you VLC'ing

I have decided to go VLC in an effort to take off 10lbs I've put on over the last 3 years. Today is day three. The last two days I felt great. I love the even appetite and blood sugar. Today I woke up heavy feeling and groggy, wanting LOTS of food.

I can't remember how I felt in the early days of VLC when I've eaten this way in the past. I just remember how great it worked! WIll the tired, heaviness subside? Or is it the lack of carbs making me feel blaaaah?

What should I expect? And this will work, RIGHT??

How many carbs were you eating before -- and now? Are you getting enough total calories? What is your activity level? Other factors like stress, insomnia, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by miata View Post
      How many carbs were you eating before -- and now? Are you getting enough total calories? What is your activity level? Other factors like stress, insomnia, etc.
      Before I was eating around 100 g / day. Some days closer to 150g. And now I'm trying to stay under 30. Activity level is low- walks, yoga. When I don't eat carbs I have to drop activity. Had lots of stress the last few months but better now. Sleep is great overall...
      I'm hoping I'm just adjusting?

Comment

Low carbs and low cal is not a friendly combo in the beginning - keep those calories up until you feel a little better, and then you can slowly drop the calories. That approach always helped me when going back into spurts of VLC.
        Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

make sure you are drinking more water than you think you need and salting your food. a magnesium supp may help too.

you might also need a bit more sleep the next week or so.

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

You felt great until you depleted your glycogen store. You're targeting 30g of carbs. I suggest you add another 20g around midday until you adapt to fat-burning again.

It isn't about Calories at all. It's simply about whether or not you have some glycogen stored in your liver or not. A few more carbs, from 30 up to 50, might provide the brain energy your unadapted brain is looking for. Other than a little water weight, tweaking your glycogen store back up a bit isn't going to add fat to you.

Also remember, when you are in weightloss mode, every gram of fat you don't eat is a gram of fat your body will burn from itself to cause weightloss. Don't go around hungry. When you feel hungry, eat extra protein, especially in the morning.
            Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
            Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
              You felt great until you depleted your glycogen store. You're targeting 30g of carbs. I suggest you add another 20g around midday until you adapt to fat-burning again.

It isn't about Calories at all. It's simply about whether or not you have some glycogen stored in your liver or not. A few more carbs, from 30 up to 50, might provide the brain energy your unadapted brain is looking for. Other than a little water weight, tweaking your glycogen store back up a bit isn't going to add fat to you.

Also remember, when you are in weightloss mode, every gram of fat you don't eat is a gram of fat your body will burn from itself to cause weightloss. Don't go around hungry. When you feel hungry, eat extra protein, especially in the morning.
              Isn't the idea to deplete glycogen stores so the body turns to fat for fuel? Wouldn't adding more carbs prevent that?

Comment

When I went keto to lose 100lb, I went to practically zero immediately. Why play around in that kind-of-but-not-really-keto zone? That's the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by Artiepoo View Post
                  When I went keto to lose 100lb, I went to practically zero immediately. Why play around in that kind-of-but-not-really-keto zone? That's the worst.
                  yeah, that's sorta what I was thinking. also, when I give myself room for more carbs, somehow the 50g turns into 150 all to easily. and i can't seem to effectively lose weight with moderate carbs, even when calorie counting.

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
                    Also remember, when you are in weightloss mode, every gram of fat you don't eat is a gram of fat your body will burn from itself to cause weightloss.
                    John, how do you get into weight loss mode and how do you know you are there?

Comment

Originally posted by FireFinder View Post
                      Isn't the idea to deplete glycogen stores so the body turns to fat for fuel? Wouldn't adding more carbs prevent that?
                      Yes, if you want to feel like shit for a while.

Your OP did not mention your desire for ketosis and ketosis is not required to readapt to fat-burning. If ketosis is your choice, then suffer through. It will pasd.
                      Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                      Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Losing weight isn't as simple as just dropping carbs, or dropping carbs to 0. Doing so can kill your metabolism completely. If you're in a state of feeling sluggish, tired, cold etc.. you're not doing yourself any favors in the weight loss department.

This literally is a daily thing, depending on how you feel, you may need to up your carbs and gradually scale them throughout the day depending on your activity level, sleep, etc..

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I am feeling much better today. Still keeping with protein, fat, green veg and fee leaner. Seeing as it's only day 4, I'm sure it's just water bloat I've lost but still nice to feel good.
                          WestCoastFire, I'll be sure to keep tabs on symptoms and increase carbs when I feel horrid. I'm hoping I'll continue to adjust and be able to lean out over the next few weeks, then add a bit more carbs for maintenance. Atkins style!

Comment

well, damit. VLC fails me again. The first couple of days I feel sluggish (hence the start of this thread), then I feel GREAT! Energetic and good digestion. Then the wheels fall off. I feel low energy. I crave everything except meat. I find myself eating tons of nuts, butter, tahini... and i feel worse. For some odd reason, not eating even a couple of pieces of fruit makes me not want meat/eggs.

I'm going to try meals with lots of protein and a couple of pieces of fruit today. ugh. What a struggle.....

Comment

are you sure you're eating enough? especially protein? eat A LOT of protein at your first meal -- like 40-50 gms.

if you feel a craving coming on, eat protein, not more fat.

if you're eating fruit, eat it with some fat: an apple with some cheese, berries with cream, etc.

have you thought about eating a small serving of potato or rice with at least one of your meals? you can still stay lc and do this.

or what about trying something that doesn't make you totally miserable? like the potato hack? steak and eggs hack? or just allowing yourself more carbs so you don't utterly bonk?
                              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                              X