Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all lactose intolerant peeps

What do you still eat/tolerate, even in small amounts? What don’t you tolerate/do you consciously avoid? What foods do you eat now as replacements?

I was surprised by the advice I received from a nutritionist on this, so I'm interested to know what others are still eating or now avoiding.
    Last edited by Orange; 03-03-2016, 12:15 AM.

Milk gives me problems but I can handle yogurt in moderate amounts
    My opinions and some justification

Comment

...the Skyr that I buy has the lactase enzyme in it and is labelled 'Lactose Free'

Comment

I avoid all dairy. I get nutrients from eggs and occasionally eat fermented coconut milk as yogurt replacement.

Comment

I flavor my coffee with heavy cream, which is almost all fat (lactose is a sugar). A serving of yogurt is fine, though I find that if I eat it regularly, I have an acne break out. (I once ate a large amount of frozen yogurt and later had intestinal cramps and gas for an uncomfortable hour on the toilet. Frozen yogurt is not just yogurt that's frozen.) Whey protein powder, even whey isolate, also triggers acne. Sometimes a restaurant will sprinkle cheese on a salad, and the amount is small enough not to bother me.

I have lactase pills. I used to take one almost every time I ate in a restaurant because most restaurants put cheese on most of their dishes. Now I find that most of the menu items that have cheese are things I would avoid for other paleo reasons as well (e.g., pasta, pizza, tortillas).
          I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

personally i tolerate dairy just fine but have seen anecdotal reports from people that raw milk or kefir has helped cure their intolerance. and for some people it's actually the casein that is the issue so they do fine with goat or sheep's milk.
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I avoid cow dairy but can handle small amounts of goat/sheep dairy. Go figure.

Comment

After being considered intolerant of cow milk products for years (had goats for 35 years), I switched to heavy cream for tea and most milk-type dishes, said bye bye to yogurt, but sadly, never abandoned my favourite treat , ice cream. I am currently subbing almond milk in my tea, given up my cheese habits, and haven't eaten yogurt (yeah, it snuck back as Greek plain) or icecream for a couple weeks. Whether it was the dairy part of the anti-inflammatory diet I'm trialing that causes my rosacea is yet to be determined. I do not, AFAIK, react to goat milk products.

Comment

I have tolerance for about 1 scoop of whey powder and 4 ounces of grass-fed whole milk (2 cups coffee) each day. If I exceed that I start to get gassy, my face is a little redder and my nose is snottier. I clarify butter and use it in bulletproof cocoa. Cheese gives me mild constipation but no other effects. I don't eat yogurt or ice cream often enough know how it affects me.

During the winter I found that I actually *need* some dairy, if only psychologically. If I don't have that smoothie or milk in coffee, I'll carb binge in the evening. In summer I can get by with a lot less dairy and I feel a lot thinner.
                  5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Can't tolerate any dairy at all.
                    I get really constipated (not afraid to say it)

I have tried many milk replacements including making my own and coconut cream. I have now settled on Rice Milk, but I really don't drink it much at all. I've pretty much just let go of all the milk concept.

I actually turned to Raw Vegan Recipes for inspiration - Favourite so far is cashew béchamel sauce and I'm about to attempt a cheese cake recipe for my birthday. through this route I've heard that (for at least plant based people) that you should aim for 500 to 600mg a day, not sure how that translates to Primals though.

I try to eat lots of foods high in calcium.
                    Daily I'll eat Lots of different types of Dark leafy greens.
                    which normally manifests its self as Green smoothie with Spinach, cucumber, celery, flax seeds, lemon and fruit like apple or pear.

Then a BAS with more leafy greens and at least a cup of pre soaked white beans.

I also include as often as I can broccoli, bok choy, oranges, almonds, seaweed, sesame seeds & Tahini.
                    And because life is too short without Asian food - fortified tofu.

Orange, I'd be very interest to hear what did your nutritionist said?!
                    Last edited by PoisonIvy; 03-08-2016, 11:36 PM.

Comment

500-600 mg a day of what?
                      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Calcium

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

trying to get sufficient minerals from raw greens is a fool's game. the oxalates bind to them and make them virtually unattainable by the body.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

It breaks the calcium molecule, okay? Maybe so. Short of taking a supplement its as good as it gets, I'm constantly trying new things and it tastes really good.

Also, I add other high calcium foods throughout the day so meh

'......do you have a study for that :-P'

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

PoisonIvy, to answer your question on my nutritionist's advice -

She basically advised not to give up milk and other dairy products entirely. She mentioned that hard and matured cheeses contain no lactose and are tolerated by people with lactose intolerance. Similarly, butter and cream contain very low levels of lactose and are well tolerated. Yoghurt is usually well tolerated too.

I guess I was surprised because I thought I would come out of the appointment with the recommendation that I avoid more dairy-type foods.

Comment

Working...
                              X