Ad Widget

Collapse

Gluten and Gluten-Free- Peter Osborne Podcast (and book, No Grain, No Pain)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluten and Gluten-Free- Peter Osborne Podcast (and book, No Grain, No Pain)

Fantastic podcast (109) and so far the book is great. So the question is regarding Gluten Free Foods.

Many Gluten Freed foods include Corn, Rice and Teff and I have to-date always assumed them to be just that ie Gluten Free. But on page 17 of his book he lists these and others with their primary form of gluten (which for those I mentioned are Zein, Orzenin and Penniseiten). So, and I understand, I must now (sadly) bin my so called gluten free pasta, my risotto etc. because these foods include glutens.

Apart from not understanding how some foods can call themselves gluten free, yet include glutens, albeit not wheat gluten, I was wondering what the Primal Communy's view is on what is gluten free and what isn't.

As far as I understand, it is only a specific allergy to a specific wheat protein that researchers have identified as causing celiac. That is why so many people who aren't technically celiac can get so much relief just by dropping wheat from their diets. It's the likely reason Dr. Davis of "Wheat Belly" fame has gone totally grainless. (I haven't seen the lists of grain-type foods he permits appear for some time.)

Comment

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
      As far as I understand, it is only a specific allergy to a specific wheat protein that researchers have identified as causing celiac. That is why so many people who aren't technically celiac can get so much relief just by dropping wheat from their diets. It's the likely reason Dr. Davis of "Wheat Belly" fame has gone totally grainless. (I haven't seen the lists of grain-type foods he permits appear for some time.)
      Yup. One reason that paleo/primal being grain free are superior to just a gluten free diet. Not to mention all the crap that gets snuck into "gluten free" junk food. Don't eat grass as a staple if you aren't a cow.

BTW I have read through that book "No Grain No Pain" OP. Good book.
      Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-10-2016, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zbor View Post
        I was wondering what the Primal Communy's view is on what is gluten free and what isn't.
        IMO gluten narrows our view too much. The whole class of bio-active/antigenic seed elements is probably worth minimizing, especially as they appear in monotonous industrial diets.

But good nutrition requires attention to several other issues. Acellular carbohydrate may be a hazard on its own, and manufactured GF bread/pasta is at best empty calories compared to whole food.
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Working...
        X