Ad Widget

Collapse

Moderate budget v pastured eggs or meat?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moderate budget v pastured eggs or meat?

At the moment, I'm buying a mix of anti biotic free meat, lean CAFO, and occasionally some pasture raised/grass fed. I don't eat a ton of dairy other than butter, but it's all grass fed, and I buy whatever pastured eggs the store carries (it's been Vital Farms but I just moved).

I was looking over some other budgeting tips, and some people do the opposite: all grass fed/quality meat but conventional eggs. Is there a difference in the nutritional output of these two methods? I'm hoping to get the best quality/most vital nutrients without going broke. My budget just decreased too, as when I moved it was to go to school. The one upside here is I'll be in a real apartment where I could potentially buy in bulk.

Any opinions?

Of the two scenarios, I suggest you continue with what you're doing. Choose grass fed for the fattest items and conventional for the lean. Grass fed is less important when protein is the primary component.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Egg micronutrients cover so many bases I give them priority.

Other meats are lovely but not mandatory. When I need budget protein I lean on frozen white fish or squid, canned mackerel, or some quality less-common items like hearts or turkey wings.
      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
        Egg micronutrients cover so many bases I give them priority.

Other meats are lovely but not mandatory. When I need budget protein I lean on frozen white fish or squid, canned mackerel, or some quality less-common items like hearts or turkey wings.
        samesies.

i can get fresh wild fish that is local and cheap, like smelts, mackerel or squid, but always keep tins on-hand for emergencies. pastured eggs are a staple for me, and i can get them for under $4/dz. good pastured ground beef is cheaper than premium cuts so i use that a lot. organic chicken livers are $4/lb and a little goes a long way.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
          Of the two scenarios, I suggest you continue with what you're doing. Choose grass fed for the fattest items and conventional for the lean. Grass fed is less important when protein is the primary component.
          That's what I've been doing and for the reasons too. I don't do well on low protein, and I'm okay, not great morally, with AB free chicken. BF likes chicken too. There's nothing like really good bacon though. ;P

Hopefully I can get a chest freezer and find somewhere with affordable bulk which could be another 1/4 of the meat budget. I'd be quite happy with that.

Comment

Working...
          X