Ad Widget

Collapse

How many grams of carbs is ideal?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How many grams of carbs is ideal?

    One of the most confusing things about this way of eating for me is to gauge how much carbs is ideal to consume per day. I've been toying with various degrees of low-carb eating on and off over the past 20 years now and Paleo/Primal for 6 years. I tried a low carb (20g) high fat diet (Primal) recently (year and a half ago) and I gained weight on it and my hypothyroid got worse. This is while still eating a Paleo/Primal diet and working out hard and heavy 4-6 days a week (heavy weights and HIIT). When I added Paleo friendly carbs, I lost a couple inches around my waist. I feel better but the last 15 lbs of my body weight is still sticking with me. I don't eat sweeteners and fruit is a treat.

    I'm considering toying with LCHF but not going as long as I did, especially with my activity level. How does one know how much carbs is good take in per day?

  • #2
    Originally posted by CAlexRose View Post
    How does one know how much carbs is good take in per day?
    I try to eat as many as possible.
    My opinions and some justification

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Elliot View Post
      I try to eat as many as possible.
      Really? How much activity do you partake in?


      Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CAlexRose View Post
        Really? How much activity do you partake in?


        Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
        I exercise most days, but I would still eat carbs if I did not. I think the condemnation of carbohydrates is unjustified.
        My opinions and some justification

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Elliot View Post
          I think the condemnation of carbohydrates is unjustified.
          What about sugar and refined, highly processed grains?

          Comment


          • #6
            300 or more grams/day – Danger Zone!

            Easy to reach with the “normal” American diet (cereals, pasta, rice, bread, waffles, pancakes, muffins, soft drinks, packaged snacks, sweets, desserts). High risk of excess fat storage, inflammation, increased disease markers including Metabolic Syndrome or diabetes. Sharp reduction of grains and other processed carbs is critical unless you are on the “chronic cardio” treadmill (which has its own major drawbacks).

            150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

            Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

            100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

            This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

            50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

            Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

            0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

            Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

            Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...#ixzz46pP55jus
            Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
            Old Paths ... New Journeys

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by John Caton View Post

              50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

              Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.



              Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...#ixzz46pP55jus
              Thanks, @John Canton! I think the 50-100 grams/day will be my new range given my activity level. I've done the 0-50 grams/day for longer than I should have and actually didn't see any results, only the negative effects of doing it. Thankfully its been over a decade since I've been in the high range (before I first went gluten free in 2005) so I'm good there.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CAlexRose View Post
                I tried a low carb (20g) high fat diet (Primal) recently (year and a half ago) and I gained weight on it and my hypothyroid got worse. This is while still eating a Paleo/Primal diet and working out hard and heavy 4-6 days a week (heavy weights and HIIT). When I added Paleo friendly carbs, I lost a couple inches around my waist. I feel better but the last 15 lbs of my body weight is still sticking with me. I don't eat sweeteners and fruit is a treat.
                I too tried LCHF primal and was unable to lose weight. I started adding carbs which enabled me to have enough energy to be consistent with exercise and I've lost 34 lbs, and my waist went from 31/32 inches down to under 25 inches in the last year or so.

                Throughout that time I've been at nearly 300g. I eat lots of starches like oats, potatoes, beans, lentils, bread, rice, pasta (mostly whole grains but also white). I eat fruits liberally. I also eat sweets like ice cream, chocolate and biscuits once or twice a week and put raw/turbinado sugar in smoothies, juices and hot beverages like tea/cocoa/coffee. All my labs are normal, including fasting blood glucose which was 70mg/dl at last check (normal is 65-99).

                So contrary to what the carb curve says, carbs don't make you fat or diabetic. If you're overweight, reduce your caloric intake or increase energy expenditure through exercise. Burn more energy than you consume and you will lose excess fat regardless of how many carbs you do or don't eat.
                *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (January 2015) * Current Wt - 113 lbs (November 2016)
                *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
                *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

                Comment


                • #9
                  op: please realize kim does NOT follow primal, eats no animal protein and almost no fat. except in ice cream.

                  20 gms of carbs is insane if your week includes hard training. mark advises eating all the non-starchy veggies you want -- to not even worry about the carbs in leafy and cruciferous veg. include lc fruits like berries too.

                  trying to train hard 6 days a week may be raising your cortisol and making weight loss more difficult as well. have you tried heavy weights 2-3 days a week and slow movement on the other days?
                  As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                  – Ernest Hemingway

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
                    What about sugar and refined, highly processed grains?
                    I don't think the carbohydrates in grains are the problem.
                    My opinions and some justification

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CAlexRose View Post
                      One of the most confusing things about this way of eating for me is to gauge how much carbs is ideal to consume per day. I've been toying with various degrees of low-carb eating on and off over the past 20 years now and Paleo/Primal for 6 years. I tried a low carb (20g) high fat diet (Primal) recently (year and a half ago) and I gained weight on it and my hypothyroid got worse. This is while still eating a Paleo/Primal diet and working out hard and heavy 4-6 days a week (heavy weights and HIIT). When I added Paleo friendly carbs, I lost a couple inches around my waist. I feel better but the last 15 lbs of my body weight is still sticking with me. I don't eat sweeteners and fruit is a treat.

                      I'm considering toying with LCHF but not going as long as I did, especially with my activity level. How does one know how much carbs is good take in per day?
                      Hi, I too am very low carb and hadn't really noticed how I had been eating below fifty grams a day till I looked at a chart of my macros since I started cutting a month ago. I basically force myself to carb refeed once every week or two. Some times I just cut back on fat and replace those calories with carbs eating the same overall calories in a day. Other times I do a complete refeed and in ree carbs to be eating at maintanence calories for a day. Both can supposedly boost your metabolism and unadjusted your body to finding homeostasis while eating cutting calories. The purpose of just increasing the carbs is supposed to change your levels of lepton and cortisol. In the past I have been able to shed that last pound or two at the end of a cut that otherwise I would be stuck with. However this time around I am so stressed out I haven't been counting my calories and think I am just going to give up and focus on maintaining instead of beating myself up about not being cut and ripped this summer.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by KimLean125byMar15 View Post
                        I too tried LCHF primal and was unable to lose weight. I started adding carbs which enabled me to have enough energy to be consistent with exercise and I've lost 34 lbs, and my waist went from 31/32 inches down to under 25 inches in the last year or so.

                        Throughout that time I've been at nearly 300g. I eat lots of starches like oats, potatoes, beans, lentils, bread, rice, pasta (mostly whole grains but also white). I eat fruits liberally. I also eat sweets like ice cream, chocolate and biscuits once or twice a week and put raw/turbinado sugar in smoothies, juices and hot beverages like tea/cocoa/coffee. All my labs are normal, including fasting blood glucose which was 70mg/dl at last check (normal is 65-99).

                        So contrary to what the carb curve says, carbs don't make you fat or diabetic. If you're overweight, reduce your caloric intake or increase energy expenditure through exercise. Burn more energy than you consume and you will lose excess fat regardless of how many carbs you do or don't eat.
                        Hi Kim,

                        I've (as most of us here) been there and done that when it comes to grains and consuming a high amount of carbs and sugar. I've been gluten free since 2005 and grain free since 2007 and don't plan on going back to that. I know it didn't work for me. I have health issues and diet is one of the keys to me not reverting back to where I was in the past. Having PCOS, chronic Lyme, disease, MS - probably from the Lyme (and hypothyroid), sugar is a death sentence for me!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by KimLean125byMar15 View Post
                          So contrary to what the carb curve says, carbs don't make you fat or diabetic. If you're overweight, reduce your caloric intake or increase energy expenditure through exercise. Burn more energy than you consume and you will lose excess fat regardless of how many carbs you do or don't eat.
                          Also, Kim, I've spent years consuming <1200 calories per day while working my butt off with heavy exercise. I measured and weighed every little thing I put in my mouth. I've been hyper conscious of my weight and diet for years and I am a "good girl" when it comes to reducing, restricting, punishing and doing more than the average person while eating less. Trust me, it did me no good when it comes to my weight or health.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                            op: please realize kim does NOT follow primal, eats no animal protein and almost no fat. except in ice cream.

                            20 gms of carbs is insane if your week includes hard training. mark advises eating all the non-starchy veggies you want -- to not even worry about the carbs in leafy and cruciferous veg. include lc fruits like berries too.

                            trying to train hard 6 days a week may be raising your cortisol and making weight loss more difficult as well. have you tried heavy weights 2-3 days a week and slow movement on the other days?
                            @noodletoy - I haven't tried reducing yet (its a 4 letter word for me!) but I can try, especially if cortisol and other parts of my health is a factor.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Chelle View Post
                              Hi, I too am very low carb and hadn't really noticed how I had been eating below fifty grams a day till I looked at a chart of my macros since I started cutting a month ago. I basically force myself to carb refeed once every week or two. Some times I just cut back on fat and replace those calories with carbs eating the same overall calories in a day. Other times I do a complete refeed and in ree carbs to be eating at maintanence calories for a day. Both can supposedly boost your metabolism and unadjusted your body to finding homeostasis while eating cutting calories. The purpose of just increasing the carbs is supposed to change your levels of lepton and cortisol. In the past I have been able to shed that last pound or two at the end of a cut that otherwise I would be stuck with. However this time around I am so stressed out I haven't been counting my calories and think I am just going to give up and focus on maintaining instead of beating myself up about not being cut and ripped this summer.
                              Thanks, @Chelle! I will do some research on the refeeding...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X