Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The alkaline myth! What? surely not

Has anyone seen this or heard of this guy? Is he credible? His name is Markus rothkranz......He seems to be some general healthy living and lifestyle person, but his view on alkalinity is just out and out confusing and goes against a lot that I've been learning recently.

http://youtu.be/7O6GhVCvVgE

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

I kinda like the guy, (I stumbled upon some of his videos a few years back as I was just starting to get into health)

I'm pretty sure he's into raw foods / veganism. It's been years since I've watched any of his content, so I cant tell you what the quality of it is. Yes, he has outdated views on alkalinity and I have seen him recommend the super expensive home water alkalizing machines before

He seems like a nice guy and he seems genuine.

He does speak alot about love and relationships and a peaceful lifestyle in general. I would check out that stuff

But don't listen to any of his health adivce

EDIT: Plus, he hangs out with a very attractive woman by the name of Cara Brotman. (I like his style)
    Last edited by purplegorilla; 05-02-2016, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I will admit, I didn't watch the video.. lol. But from my own research in regards to acidity and alkaline, your body basically just regulates itself. Anything we eat or drink has no effect on the balance, other than what we'd piss out onto to those PH strips. This apparently does not gauge what's happening inside.

Basically ph balance we see on pee strips isnt the same as our blood ph levels. So the idea of eating "alkaline" foods with raw veggies and fruits and meat being acid forming is all hooey lol.

Comment

Originally posted by WestCoastFire View Post
        I will admit, I didn't watch the video.. lol. But from my own research in regards to acidity and alkaline, your body basically just regulates itself. Anything we eat or drink has no effect on the balance, other than what we'd piss out onto to those PH strips. This apparently does not gauge what's happening inside.

Basically ph balance we see on pee strips isnt the same as our blood ph levels. So the idea of eating "alkaline" foods with raw veggies and fruits and meat being acid forming is all hooey lol.
        ...do you think that would hold true for canines too? My dog was recently 'flagged' with a high urine ph. He had a level of 9.5 on two tests. Any vets out there???

Comment

Originally posted by hebsie View Post
          ...do you think that would hold true for canines too? My dog was recently 'flagged' with a high urine ph. He had a level of 9.5 on two tests. Any vets out there???
          could be a uti.
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I agree with WestCoastFire: IMHO... Science proves the whole pH concept is nonsense. Chris Kresser did a podcast on it. If you could regulate your body's pH with food or liquids then you'd be dead real quick. The body has a very strong defense that protects its pH status. pH is not a very good metric for health.

Comment

This is on p. 111 of my copy of The Primal Blueprint (2009 edition)--has Mark's opinion changed since?

"Plant foods also naturally promote a beneficial balance between acidity and alkalinity (also known as “base”, or non-acidic) in your bloodstream. Almost all cells prefer a slightly alkaline environment to function properly, but many metabolic processes, including the normal production of cellular energy, result in the release of acidic waste products. The buildup of acidic waste is toxic to your body, so it works very hard at all times to preserve a slightly alkaline environment, measured by the familiar “pH” levels. While we have evolved several highly refined buffering systems to balance our pH, ingesting acid-producing foods makes it that much more difficult to achieve pH homeostasis.

As you might guess, consuming heavily processed foods, sugars, grains, deep-fried foods, alcohol, caffeine, cigarettes, carbonated drinks, artificial sweeteners, and many recreational and prescription drugs promotes an acidic imbalance in the body, a precursor of many health problems and diseases. In contrast, by emphasizing alkaline-forming foods—vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds—in your diet, you optimize your acid/base balance and improve metabolism to burn fat, build muscle, and reduce your susceptibility to environmental and dietary toxins. While they have tremendous health benefits, meat and dairy products also happen to be acid-producing, making it essential to balance the intake of these foods with sufficient vegetables and fruits that support alkalinity."
              Did he maybe mean the serum rather than the "bloodstream"?

What's your view on this?
              Acidic and neutral urine pH were significantly associated with a higher all-cause mortality

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25762414
              My urologist also told me that my urinary pH was too low at below 6.0 and increased the risk of more calcium oxalate stones, given my past history of them. Was he wrong? I found this that seems to support him, though it's rather old: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6793122

There's so much contradictory discussion of the general topic that it can be rather confusing.
              Last edited by Paleophil; 05-02-2016, 07:00 PM.
              Originally posted by tatertot
              Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
              "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

HealthExcel is a way to find the correct diet for your specific metabolic type. They have a book too. The Metabolic Typing Diet by William Wolcott

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                  could be a uti.
                  ...valid guess. He also tested positive for bacteria and red/white BCs, so a uti is a definite possibility. Thanks for the input, sorry to derail the thread OP...hebs

Comment

Working...
                  X