Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overeating

Let's you're a healthy, active person, who eats practically 100% primally, and hasn't eaten processed or sugar-laden foods regularly in years and years. If you only eat when hungry, do you think you can really overeat?

Just curious about your opinions.

I dunno; I consciously try to overeat every day, and it still takes forever for me to add muscle. So much food.

Comment

If you surround yourself with energy dense foods that are very tasty you can easily "overeat." When I saw "overeat" I mean eat more than you need to to meet your goals which could be gain muscle, lose fat, do both at the same time or just "maintain."

The most dangerous foods vary by person, but the short list includes dairy, nuts, nut butters, bacon, bulletproof cofee.
      Last edited by miata; 05-13-2016, 11:03 AM.

Comment

100% primal "sensible vices" chocolate, nuts, dates, cheese, wine, etc. elude the normal satiety system in some folks so manual portioning is wise. If a person chooses only poached cod and cabbage then maybe not.
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by LeeLee1 View Post
          Let's you're a healthy, active person, who eats practically 100% primally, and hasn't eaten processed or sugar-laden foods regularly in years and years. If you only eat when hungry, do you think you can really overeat?

Just curious about your opinions.
          Anyone can overeat if satiety signals fail or are ignored. That makes food choices important. Carbs don't really signal satiety to the brain, although an extended stomach eventually will. Protein and fat will signal satiety more easily unless signaling is faulty due to leptin resistance.

I typically keep carbs between 50-100 grams per day. I ignore protein and fat intake and eat until I'm satisfied. So with me, it's a combination of food portioning for carbs only and then I eat until I'm satisfied or the food is gone. It's usually gone.
          Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
          Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Yes you can. Easily as a matter of fact. I am an over eater so I decided to change the foods I was snacking on from candy, junk food, processed crap to veggies, fruits and nuts. I did the DNA test offered by 23 and me and it seems i am genetically disposed to overeating whcih makes sense if you look at my family history. I don;'t count carbs, calories or anything like that b/c 1. I don't want to 2. too much of a pain 3. I'm extremely busy with work and kids.

Comment

A glass or two of wine, and I am prime for a binge. That's not really DNA wiring, but more of a trigger. Gotta watch the alcohol for sure.

Comment

Yup, I sure reckon you can overeat on primal or paleo foods - or maybe a better term is 'overindulge'.
                Only last night for example, I ate FOUR decent-sized salmon fillets for dinner. A bit extravagant of me I know, but they tasted so good! And don't get me started on my roast chicken adventures, my favourite food of all time. I can eat an entire chicken, top to toe including skin and drippings, at one meal alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange View Post
                  Yup, I sure reckon you can overeat on primal or paleo foods - or maybe a better term is 'overindulge'.
                  Only last night for example, I ate FOUR decent-sized salmon fillets for dinner. A bit extravagant of me I know, but they tasted so good! And don't get me started on my roast chicken adventures, my favourite food of all time. I can eat an entire chicken, top to toe including skin and drippings, at one meal alone.
                  Thanks so much for the thoughtful responses, all. This is really more what I was talking about.
                  If you're hungry enough to eat a whole chicken in one meal, or some other amount of food that may appear to be excessive from an outsider's perspective, is that really overeating? Or is it just what the body needs at that time?

I totally agree that you can overeat things like nuts, seeds, chocolate, and wine. I should have been more clear. I was more interested in primal foods that would not fall into the "treat" category. And again, this hypothetical is only asking about active people who have not eaten SAD in years.

Comment

In that context, I seriously don't think I could eat TOO MUCH only paleo/primal food. And I eat a LOT. I lift heavy and am generally active, though. For me to add size I basically have to start intentionally packing in more calorie-dense foods: nut butters, quality ice cream, protein powder, heavy cream, etc, in addition to my several pounds of meat/veggies/eggs/fruit I eat daily.

I don't doubt that some people are capable of overeating on paleo/primal, but for me, there's no chance I'll get a huge belly eating meat, veggies, fruit, eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeLee1 View Post
                      If you're hungry enough to eat a whole chicken in one meal, or some other amount of food that may appear to be excessive from an outsider's perspective, is that really overeating? Or is it just what the body needs at that time?
                      Good question. One aspect of SAD is getting most of the energy from non-meal occasions. Café pastry, energy bar on the bus, late night popcorn, etc. PB foods have a combination of (1) limited density ("meat and potatoes" are 70-80% water) and (2) increased fasting comfort so people like me eat 1-2x/day. I'm sure my dinner plate looks profane because I'll steam or roast a pound or more of vegetables as an appetizer.

I could definitely finish a whole chicken on a dare, but would also compensate over time. Overeating with enough frequency to cause problems would become a queasy chore.
                      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                        Overeating with enough frequency to cause problems would become a queasy chore.
                        This.

Comment

If you only eat when hungry, do you think you can really overeat?
                          You can definitely overeat on occasion, but for the long term I think the answer is a solid no. Your body has its own regulator on appetite and if you pay attention you should self moderate your consumption.

I think this is one of the big factors in successfully doing Primal, and especially if you complement the "eat when hungry" with "stop eating when you are no longer hungry." For me, being able to stop is much tougher than starting, it requires using smaller plates and smaller serving sizes because if it gets on my plate, it will be eaten.
                          Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
                          My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

Working...
                          X