Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
    Ah that's a challenge. When I was a chip junkie I never thought they tasted much like corn--I just needed no-prep no-utensil energy + salt (knowing nothing about nutrition). If a cup of frozen sweet corn with butter & salt scratches her itch, that could be a step up.
    You know, Bugles are not bad. They are about the only bagged chip thing I will eat, and as a rare treat. Ingredients are corn and palm oil. But if you can find corn tortillas with just 2-3 ingredients and cooked in palm oil, that's not so bad. There are even a few taco shells that just contain corn and salt, no oil at all.
    Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by coolrain View Post
      What is the reason that nixtamalized corn is better than fresh raw organic corn?
      One isn't necessarily better than the other. They're just different.

Milky-fresh organic sweet corn is fine, but once the grain matures and the corn sugars convert to hard starches, corn's nutrients can no longer be accessed through human digestion. Soaking dry corn in an alkaline bath (nixtamalization) is a traditional preparation method to neutralize anti-nutrients and make nutrients available. Hominy, grits and masa are examples of nixtamalized corn.
      Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
      Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...517-story.html

yesterday's story about gmo crops.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Thanks to all for the good information about corns.

Comment

I found a brand in Natural Grocers:
            Green Mountain Gringo Tortilla strips. NO trans fat (made of non-hydrogenated safflower oil/sunflower oil), Non-GMO, made of stone ground masa harina corn flour

Does it look good?

Comment

Working...
            X