Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are carrots?

I get mixed messages from every article, nutritionist, dietician, book I read...do you count carrots as starchy carbs that go towards your carbs total for the day? Some do, some don't. It's kinda important for my adrenals and thyroid that I keep my carbs up anywhere between 150-200 right now and I eat a shitload of carrots because its one of the only healthy snacks I can eat while driving for work during the week. It's my go to snack, I could eat carrots all day long. Just wondering what the opinion is of this group.
    Thanks!

Originally posted by amyb View Post
    do you count carrots as starchy carbs that go towards your carbs total for the day?
    They are about 1% starch so 150-200g from carrot alone will hit a volume limit.

I measure carbohydrate as pounds of tuber & fruit, and use carrots as neither.
    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
      They are about 1% starch .
      So what is the other 99%?

Comment

I personally think that carrots are counted toward the carb totals; however, if your looking adrenal and thyroid support, I suspect cortisol is the primary issue.

Cortisol is best tackled by correcting the sleeping patterns and getting enough sleep. Without proper sleep, it won't matter what diet you undertake to correct the thyroid; cortisol suppresses thyroid function. It hinders or stops the thyroid from producing T4 (which hurts T3 production), but it also hinders the actual conversion of T4 to T3.

After that, potatoes and sweet potatoes are probably your best bet to hit your carb limit. They can be baked long enough to the point they basically turn into crunchy morsels that can easily be packed and taken anywhere. They will be far more effective than carrots for thyroid support, and Testosterone production.

Comment

The published carb count is primarily fiber. Sugar and starch are negligible.

I agree with WestCoastFire regarding the cortisol issue, but getting to the root of that can be a challenge. Although many of us support low carb, low carb can also make cortisol issues worsen. It is important to find the individual sweet spot.

With adrenal issues, watch your fat intake and lean more heavily towards saturated fats, including coconut. You may want to investigate progesterone cream as a supplement to help your adrenal issues.
          Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
          Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by coolrain View Post
            So what is the other 99%?
            Fiber, sugars, water and minerals. They are similar to beets in that respect. I love crunchy, raw carrots! They are very healthy with a lot of carotenoids.
            Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
              The published carb count is primarily fiber. Sugar and starch are negligible.
              Are you talking about carrots? According to Nutrition Facts, carrot carbs are 65% sugar and starch.

Comment

100 gms carrots:

Total Carbohydrate 9.6g
                Dietary Fiber 2.8g
                Starch 1.4g
                Sugars 4.7g

it will take a lot of carrots to get you to 200 gms carbs for the day. agree with the afore-mentioned recs for tubers.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Carrots are great. You ain't getting to 200g of carbs with just them though. You actually HAVE to include tubers to get to those levels in most instances.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                    Carrots are great. You ain't getting to 200g of carbs with just them though. You actually HAVE to include tubers to get to those levels in most instances.
                    I can't have sweet potatoes or potatoes right now...low FODMAPS...getting over SIBO...recovering well since treating it with medication. Can't have quinoa or amaranth or oats, I have celiac disease, I'm relying mostly on berries and lentils! Starting to include black beans and brown rice. I went towards the Paleo way of eating because it has fit with my celiac nutrition needs and my need for unprocessed foods but now that I know all of my food intolerance...I have to modify more...my food intolerances include coconut, sweet potatoes, the above grains, grapes, lettuce, celery...and many others. Seems like every paleo recipe uses coconut!

Thanks for all the input.

Comment

yuca? plantains? bananas? you may do better with white rice vs. brown.
                      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Roasted carrots are one of my favorites. Super simple...Wash, cut into chunks, toss with olive or coconut oil, thyme, salt, and black pepper. I roast them at 400F for about 20-25 minutes until crisp tender. Do a large batch, refrigerate and eat cold.

Comment

As a kid I always looked at cooked carrots with a suspicious view! Nowadays I usually eat one or two medium sized carrots per day, but raw...
                          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier considering I've made it multiple times... Carrot Ginger Apple soup. You just have to have a means to pulverize the above ingredients into soup! A vitamix works well for this but perhaps a standard blender might as well? If you roast them, they pretty much turn to mush anyway. Stick in a thermos and voila, high carb soup.

Looking at it now, Apples are rich in Fodmaps, so perhaps replace with ripe bananas? Carrot Banana Ginger soup.. hmm.. wonder what that would taste like.

Cooked food is also easier on digestion than raw.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                              As a kid I always looked at cooked carrots with a suspicious view! Nowadays I usually eat one or two medium sized carrots per day, but raw...
                              i loathed cooked carrots as a kid and even moreso as an adult. always have some in the fridge and eat 1-2 more days than not.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                              X