Ad Widget

Collapse

Donating Blood: Platelets, Plasma, Tigers, Oh My!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donating Blood: Platelets, Plasma, Tigers, Oh My!

Mark’s post on tips for women got me thinking that men don’t have an iron elimination mechanism, so I’ve decided to start donating blood. The Lifesource website gives you a ton of options. You can donate whole blood, double red blood cells, platelets, plasma, or a red cell and plasma. I have no idea what any of this means. I know blood as the red stuff in your body they take with a needle. I have no idea how that needle would discriminate between platelets and cells or whatever.

Anyway, I’m in this primarily for the health benefits. What’s the healthiest option here?

just donate blood. no need to overthink it.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Agree, just donate. I may be wrong, but I think most of the options are pretty transparent to you -- Your involvement still is just lying there with a needle in your arm and filling up the donation bag, hang around for a while just to make sure you don't pass out from the experience, enjoy your cookie and juice, then leave.
      I donate fairly frequently with a blood drive campaign at my church, championed by an RN who is one of our members. It is about a 45 minute process, always requiring some paperwork to check your medical status, doing the actual donation, and the mandatory 10-15 minute recovery time.
      Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
      My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

It is the right thing to do to help people in need. Go for it.
        Female back to the basics: 5-2017
        CW: 2017: 150
        GW: 130 a dream, I know
        Muscle soreness surrounding Neck, Thyroid and Rosacea issues.

Comment

The iron is in the red blood cells and is what gives them the red color. Giving whole blood or red blood cells will lower your iron stores.
          I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

I also had high iron and do the double platelet number. Don't that before weight lifting or anything else though.

Comment

I've been donating blood for about six years, Florida and now Texas. The procedures will vary a slight bit, the most annoying thing is the long quiz about where you've traveled to, sex, some diseases. Since my answers are always the same, I STILL haven't been to France between 1975-1988 or whatever that question is, I just remind myself that this is for someone who needs blood, it's not about me.

You can donate every 58 days. If you do a double red cells, they take your blood out, run it in a centrifuge, then pump the plasma back. This is actually what they do with whole blood externally, here, they are doing it during the donation. Since that process is double cell loss, so is the time to donate again: 4 months. It's the process I choose.

Like anything that gives to the community, giving blood is a good thing to do. And as noted, for men, a way to lower iron short of combat or rugby.

Comment

Working...
              X