Ad Widget

Collapse

Freezer Safety question. The door doesn't *quite* seal.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezer Safety question. The door doesn't *quite* seal.

Noticed this a few days ago. I have a lot of meat and frozen fruit in my freezer and the noticed that the door near the bottom doesn't quite seal properly. There is a frost up the side of the freezer near the bottom but the temp gauge on the door still reads 0. I put a thermometer in the freezer and it reads between 3-4 degrees.

Wondering if the food inside is safe to use. especially the fruit.

the freezer is a side by side freezer/fridge combo and is quite tall. most of the stuff is on the second shelf of the freezer just above the location of the frosty buildup.

0 Fahrenheit? If so then your food should still be nice and frozen although moisture might enter and cause the frost build up. But, if you die from food poisoning, don't come running back to blame me ok?

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
      0 Fahrenheit? If so then your food should still be nice and frozen although moisture might enter and cause the frost build up. But, if you die from food poisoning, don't come running back to blame me ok?
      well that why I said the door reads 0 Fahrenheit but the thermometer i put in there reads 3-4 degrees f.

Comment

call a repairman and have the rubber replaced. the temp won't stay even and you don't want to mess with meat that partially thaws and refreezes. food safety is an issue and the texture will suffer too. the fruit is safe to eat.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Looks like a simple DIY to replace the rubber gasket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Acm_MaEF4

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck_S View Post
            Looks like a simple DIY to replace the rubber gasket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Acm_MaEF4
            Seals are usually trivial to replace IFF you can get the exact replacement model.

Sometimes the door is hanging badly or on a cheap unit even warped and replacing the seal won't suffice.

The food is still plenty frozen, the unit is just running more to maintain the temperature and freeze the moisture getting in.

Long ago and not too far away I did my part in defending my country from the red menace by fixing refrigeration and a/c equipment on an Air Force base

Comment

Sometimes there is just too much food in the freezer! BTDT. Just replacing my freezer this week... or whenever it comes in, with an upright freezer. They aren't as efficient as chest freezers, the door(s) don't keep the food as reliably cold, and they consume more electricity. BUT- we are no longer able to reach the chest bottom and lose costly food on a regular basis. It's due to old age, rather than freezing or thawing. Those affect taste and texture , but freezer burn isn't that dangerous, just mostly cosmetic. Meanwhile, until my new freezer arrives, a heavy quilt on the door prevents the freezer running so much, which was the major impetus for discarding our old one.(Not low on gas, either.)

Comment

Working...
              X