Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoiding Sun Exposure is as Deadly as Smoking

Interesting post by a doctor of homeopath. Among other things he says the top sun tan companies are owned by big pharma.

https://www.facebook.com/WitchDocTim...302050151202:0

Check out the DMimder app for your smart phone.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

My latest thing is trying to get a fair amount of sun and I'm loving it. On work days, my lunch is a shirtless hour long walk along Lake Michigan. At home, I do sprints/jogging, walks with my wife, and outdoor workouts shirtless.

I'm totally talking out of my ass here, but I think there's more to sunlight than just vitamin D, which I take on its own regardless. I look and feel better when I'm getting sun routinely. We're trying to get out of Chicago within a few years and get to a place with year-round sunshine.

Comment

Originally posted by Artiepoo View Post
        I'm totally talking out of my ass here, but I think there's more to sunlight than just vitamin D, which I take on its own regardless.
        Your intuition is correct, there are other well-documented benefits from sunlight. These include healthier skin, controlling hormone balance (particularly serotonin), and regulating circadian rhythms. The mood boost you are feeling is almost certainly due to serotonin production triggered by retinal stimulation from sunlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Artiepoo View Post
          My latest thing is trying to get a fair amount of sun and I'm loving it. On work days, my lunch is a shirtless hour long walk along Lake Michigan. At home, I do sprints/jogging, walks with my wife, and outdoor workouts shirtless.

I'm totally talking out of my ass here, but I think there's more to sunlight than just vitamin D, which I take on its own regardless. I look and feel better when I'm getting sun routinely. We're trying to get out of Chicago within a few years and get to a place with year-round sunshine.
          More and more, the benefits of the red end of the spectrum are being identified and exploited. You should research the benefits. Red and infrared sun exposure is greatest from sunrise until 10AM. Of course, for those on daylight saving time, that would be 11AM.
          Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
          Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

I just recently listened to a podcast that spoke about sun exposure. It seems like the best time is right in the morning, but I imagine as long as you're getting some sunlight and vit d you'll be good.

One of the things brought up aside from the vitamin k2 (in probiotic rich dairy like kefir or goat cheese, and fermented foods) to help absorb vitamin d, is that people exposed to more sunlight(people in the westcoast for example) may reach adequate levels of vitamin d, but end up depleted in folate due to the sun exposure, whereis in areas with less exposure have good levels of folate but low in vitamin D.

Interesting enough, in the middle east where there is a lot of sun exposure, one of the staple foods is hummus made from garbanzo beans which is really high in folate. Also you can increase the vitamin d content dramatically in mushrooms if you expose them to the sun before cooking/eating. Just thought id throw that out there for people that do get a lot of sunlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolomoto View Post
              Interesting post by a doctor of homeopath. Among other things he says the top sun tan companies are owned by big pharma.

https://www.facebook.com/WitchDocTim...302050151202:0
              "WitchDocTim" Yup, that's homeopathy, all right. Not a good science source, and I think saying lack of sunlight is as bad as smoking certainly qualifies as hyperbole. I mean, really.........

As to "the top sun tan companies (whatever that really means) are owned by big pharma": Being owned by Big Pharma doesn't automatically mean something is bad, you know? Big Pharma supplies me with medications that help me be much healthier and pain free than without.

But here's the truth as I see it about the sunscreen industry. One day I was in the waiting room of my parent's dermatologist and picked up a magazine, don't recall the name but published by something like Skin Cancer Research Institute or something. Sounds respectable until I looked at the "members" list. There were two kinds, I noticed. There were the big chemical companies liked BASF of Germany and then there were the companies that made the retail products.

These are the two industries profiting from the fear of sunshine, the very thing we evolved to need for multiple reasons.

Until nine months ago I live in FL and spent a lot of time in the sun; yard work and riding my bike. I also take 10,000 IU's a day Vitamin E. When checked by a dermatologist two years ago, no cancers.

Oh, this is too "funny:" I saw a car windshield sunscreen the other day, the kind to used when parked. "Removes 99% UV!" I guess the concept of opacity was too hard to grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
                More and more, the benefits of the red end of the spectrum are being identified and exploited. You should research the benefits. Red and infrared sun exposure is greatest from sunrise until 10AM. Of course, for those on daylight saving time, that would be 11AM.
                What are the benefits? I can't seem to find anything about that.

Comment

Originally posted by rmcl View Post
                  What are the benefits? I can't seem to find anything about that.
                  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4126803/
                  Low-level laser (light) therapy (LLLT) in skin: stimulating, healing, restoring

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16414908
                  Combination red and near infrared LED therapy represents an effective and acceptable method of photo rejuvenation.

https://redlighttherapy.lighttherapy...light-therapy/

The Benefits of Red Light Therapy Overall
                  100% natural
                  drug free
                  chemical free
                  non-invasive (no needles or knives)
                  non-ablative (does not damage the skin)
                  painless (does not itch, burn or sting)
                  requires zero downtime
                  safe for all skin types
                  safe for all ages
                  no adverse short or long term side effects
                  easily self-administered in your own home
                  FDA approved
                  The Benefits for Your Skin
                  Red light therapy creates a healthy glow about your face
                  smooths overall skin tone
                  builds collagen, reducing wrinkles, including crow’s feet, under eye wrinkles, forehead wrinkles & laugh lines
                  speeds the healing of blemishes, like acne and rosacea
                  repairs sun damage
                  reduces redness, flushing, and broken capillaries
                  fades scars and stretch marks
                  brings more moisture to your skin
                  prevents hair loss & stimulates regrowth
                  Use these benefits for your:

Acne
                  Bites
                  Bruises
                  Burns (minor)
                  Collagen Production
                  Cuts & Scrapes
                  Dry Skin
                  First Aid
                  Hair Loss
                  Psoriasis
                  Red Marks from Acne
                  Stretch Marks
                  Rosacea
                  Flushing
                  Scars
                  Sun Damage
                  Wound Care
                  Wrinkles
                  Uneven Skintone
                  The Benefits for Wounds, Injuries & Pain
                  speeds the healing of wounds and injuries to the body
                  speeds wound healing in even non-healing wounds
                  improves or restores range of motion
                  reduces inflammation and pain
                  Use these red & near infrared light therapy benefits for your:

Arthritis
                  Back Pain
                  Bone Breaks
                  Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
                  Fibromyalgia
                  Foot Pain (Plantar fasciitis)
                  Knee Pain
                  Lower Back Pain
                  Neck Pain
                  Non Healing Wounds
                  Post Surgical Procedures
                  Sciatica
                  Shoulder Pain
                  Sprains
                  Surgical Wounds
                  Torn Ligaments, etc.
                  Tendonitis

https://redlightman.com/light-therapy/red/

What specifically does it do in the cell?

Visible red light from a good high powered source and in the right intensity can penetrate skin by up to 25mm. There are a variety of cellular structures that absorb light energy including the mitochondria:

Our mitochondria can absorb red light due to a key energy producing copper enzyme (cytochrome c oxidase – link) which absorbs light at various wavelengths between 600-1000nm.
                  Metabolism in the mitochondria is usually restricted by a biologically active molecule called nitric oxide, which binds to cytochrome oxidase and prevents it from using oxygen. Red light acts by photodissociating (or detaching) this nitric oxide molecule, allowing cytochrome to resume its energy producing metabolic function.
                  Red light has been shown to improve the structure of water in cellular cytoplasm and other areas of the body, providing a functional benefit to all cellular processes. The improved surface tension of cells may also improve ion exchange.
                  Through a complex but well understood process, cytochrome helps to synthesise ATP
                  Red light increases ROS (reactive oxygen species) which have a positive stimulatory effect in low amounts.

The net effect of the above mechisms is as follows:

Increased energy levels.
                  Reduced local/systemic inflammation
                  Faster and better wound healing
                  Lower likelihood of scars
                  Protects against excess oestrogen
                  Reduces cortisol stress hormone levels
                  Protects against radiation
                  Activates formation of new cells for healing
                  Increased growth of new mitochondria
                  Improved blood flow / circulation
                  Increased lymph flow.
                  Increased repair of skin including collagen.
                  All of the above go some way to explaining the benefit you will get from red light therapy, whether it be for anti-aging, wound healing or treating a skin condition.

Comment

And there is that....thanks for all the info on our precious Sun.
                    Female back to the basics: 5-2017
                    CW: 2017: 150
                    GW: 130 a dream, I know
                    Muscle soreness surrounding Neck, Thyroid and Rosacea issues.

Comment

Does this mean fear of OVER-exposure to the sun is nonsense?

Or just that there is a 'u shaped curve'?

Comment

Originally posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
                        Does this mean fear of OVER-exposure to the sun is nonsense?

Or just that there is a 'u shaped curve'?
                        Fear of over exposure is not nonsense. UV-B, beneficial for vitamin D, can also be damaging to skin and eyes, relative to individual sensitivity. High intensity sunlight, regardless of color frequency, can damage eyes, despite the benefits of reasonable exposure and intensity.

The promotion of early morning exposure for red and infrared benefits is a fairly new initiative, but certainly direct exposure of the eyes at that intensity should be with a degree of caution.

Comment

If sunlight is anti-aging, how come those who spend much time outdoors get premature face wrinkles and many unsightly dark sun spots all over their exposed arms and backs? How come, in the same person, the skin that is normally exposed to the sun (such as face & backsides of hands) ages much much faster than the skin that is not? I read that sunlight is responsible for 80% of skin aging. From observation, I agree with that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by coolrain View Post
                            If sunlight is anti-aging, how come those who spend much time outdoors get premature face wrinkles and many unsightly dark sun spots all over their exposed arms and backs? How come, in the same person, the skin that is normally exposed to the sun (such as face & backsides of hands) ages much much faster than the skin that is not? I read that sunlight is responsible for 80% of skin aging. From observation, I agree with that statement.
                            I think we are conditioned to think of aging as external and visible. There is also internal aging, and sunlight certainly helps inside.

I've concluded that almost everything we consume or do has both an upside and a downside. It's a constant juggling act.

Comment

Originally posted by coolrain View Post
                              Probably because there is such a thing as too much sun exposure (plus it depends on the wavelenght). Also many people with wrinkles are/have been smokers which ages the skin badly.
                              But too Little sun exposure is bad for health. Gotta find the sweet spot!
                              Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

Working...
                              X