Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I eat paleo, but no defined abs

I'm 25 male, 5'8'', 165 lbs, I have some stomach definition, but no defined abs.

I workout 5 days a week which includes squatting, walking, and deadlifting. I've been working out like this for 3 months and have been strictly paleo for 4 years. I also drink kombucha daily.

I have low stress and sleep 7.5 hours a night.

I eat 2,500-3,000 calories/day

Breakfast at 7am: Bulletproof coffee
    Workout at noon
    Lunch at 1:30p: Pork chops or steak with salad (leftover from dinner)
    Snack: Apple
    Dinner 7pm: Kombucha with pork, beef etc.
    Dessert: Berries with nuts

Why don't I have defined abs?

Short answer; you're too fat!

Long answer; rest of the thread...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 06-28-2016, 06:25 AM.
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Eat your body weight in protein on 1800 calories a day for a month.

And throw some sprints in a couple days a week.

Comment

Originally posted by zschleien View Post

Why don't I have defined abs?
        Because you are at a healthy weight.

Paleo = healthy
        Abs = very low body fat

Very low body fat is not necessarily healthy. It's a cultural fixation, probably in response to the obesity epidemic on the other end of the spectrum.

Comment

As Neckhammer says, it's a cultural fixation. So what if you don't have them? Are you less of a person, a man? No.

And don't forget, maybe defined abs just are not in your gene set, no matter what you do.

Enjoy your body as it is. Don't try to live to other's expectations. (Ommmmm..........)

Comment

I have ok abs, lifting heavy and eating as much primal food as I can cram in every day. But to get like reallllly nice abs, it's just not worth it for me. Too little food, too hard to lift heavy enough with too little food. Genetics play a pretty big role, as well.

Lift heavy, do sprints, and eat a bunch of quality food is about the best you can do, unless you want to go the fitness competitor route and micromanage everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
              I have ok abs, lifting heavy and eating as much primal food as I can cram in every day. But to get like reallllly nice abs, it's just not worth it for me. Too little food, too hard to lift heavy enough with too little food. Genetics play a pretty big role, as well.

Lift heavy, do sprints, and eat a bunch of quality food is about the best you can do, unless you want to go the fitness competitor route and micromanage everything.
              Yep. Primal's about a sustainable, realistic, healthy lifestyle, not being a fitness model.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

https://authoritynutrition.com/do-ab...urn-belly-fat/
                Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Abs are necessarily a good definition of health. I see abs as maybe a novelty thing to have during the summer, but you have to put things into a perspective here, something Neckhammer touched on.

Imagine you had a bad accident and are sick and held up in the hospital with very little body fat. Body fat is what you are basically surviving on. One should technically not want to have low body fat unless they are training for something very specific like a body building comp, or some sort of racing. Once it becomes difficult to lose more weight without severely manipulating your way of life, you are at a healthy weight.

Comment

You don't need very low bodyfat to see abs if you have some muscle mass. Some people get a four pack at 14 - 15 % of bodyfat and very skinny dudes can't see anything even at 8 %...
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by WestCoastFire View Post
                      Abs are necessarily a good definition of health. I see abs as maybe a novelty thing to have during the summer, but you have to put things into a perspective here, something Neckhammer touched on.

Imagine you had a bad accident and are sick and held up in the hospital with very little body fat. Body fat is what you are basically surviving on. One should technically not want to have low body fat unless they are training for something very specific like a body building comp, or some sort of racing. Once it becomes difficult to lose more weight without severely manipulating your way of life, you are at a healthy weight.
                      You're right. I recall a study that showed better survivability after surgery with higher fat levels. As I recall, overweight but not obese.

Sadly, I can't justify my extra weight waiting for surgery. I've not been admitted since 2nd grade for tonsil surgery. I'm 70 now. Great cardiac performance and family history of same. I'm counting on my diet and Metformin (almost 50% fewer cancers) to keep me out of oncology.

Comment

Working...
                      X