Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turmeric

Hey everyone, so I've been eating Primaleo for the last few months, and I'm seeing all around great results. All of my recently labs came back great with the exception of my C reactive protein (a biomarker for inflammation), which was 6.55. Anything under 3 is normal. So I'm starting to supplement with Turmeric as I read that it is an anti-inflammatory. My question is how much per day is recommended? I'll take my answer off air. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

I take 400mg/day (or rather every other day),because it should also help with stomach problems.

Comment

Many things are anti-inflammatory, but may not be the appropriate solution for you. Mitigation of the root cause of inflammation is the most appropriate solution.

That may be difficult to ascertain, but a thorough review of your most common lifestyle practices may reveal the source. Inflammation will usually be related to environment, including diet. Clearly the root of my own inflammation was simply grain, primarily wheat.

I am generally supportive of turmeric use, as a spice, but I think it is overhyped and overused. Some studies indicate the curcumin in turmeric has an estrogenic effect. That is worth considering. For general anti-inflammatory use, low-dose aspirin is still the best source there is, in my opinion. Coconut oil is also a better anti-inflammatory, expecially for those who may be coming off long term PUFA ingestion.
      Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
      Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

I take 1500 mg a day of curcumin. The supplement I take also has black pepper extract, which makes the curcumin more bioavailable. More than that and I suffer from heartburn. My oncologist was involved in a study of lymphoma patients that took far higher doses of it, and while it did nothing to halt the progression of the cancer, it did provide significant relief from the side effects of the disease and their treatment. It also improved their inflammation markers without the higher bleeding risks associated with aspirin.

Eliminating the causes of the inflammation is also an important step. I found that following the Autoimmune Protocol for a couple of months and then adding back foods to determine the problem foods for me worked great. Sarah Ballantyne at thepaleomom.com is a great source of information on inflammation and the AIP.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I suspect that my elevated CRP may still be a product of my previous (poor) eating habits. I plan to retest in three months. I use coconut oil quite when I'm cooking, and I'm trying something new with the Turmeric. On another note, I've had slightly swollen cervical lymph nodes for many years as well, and I would love to see that go away. It's not bad, and the lay person would probably not notice it. I have had it checked by 3-4 different docs over the years, and while they agree that they are swollen they say there's no cause for concern. It doesn't help any that I had an uncle die of lymphoma in his early 30's. I don't think that's what I have going on though. I believe I have had inflammation for a long time due to chronic seasonal allergies, and it's probably going to take my body a while to heal itself.

Comment

Not to be an alarmist but have you had those lymph nodes biopsied? That is the only way to rule out lymphoma. I spent more than year trying to figure out why I had swollen lymph nodes but because my blood work was perfect, I was told there was no way it was lymphoma. I finally demanded a biopsy after every test I had came back negative, which no one wanted to do because it was surgery and they were certain it too would be negative. After they did it, it came back positive for follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, an indolent, slow-growing type of lymphoma. I think eating lower carb and getting adequate protein helped keep my symptoms under control.

I am not saying what you is lymphoma but unless you have had a biopsy, you can't rule out more a serious diagnosis.

Comment

I understand what you're saying, but this would have to be the slowest growing form of lymphoma ever. The first time I discovered it was 15 years ago. The nodes haven't grown since I discovered them.

Comment

You are probably right and I am probably projecting! :-)

Comment

; )

Comment

Also keep in mind that turmeric is fat-soluble so should be consumed with a little healthy oil. The comment regarding black pepper increasing bioavailability is also true... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9619120

What I do is pour avocado oil onto a tablespoon, then add the turmeric and a small amount of freshly-cracked black pepper. Then drink it...you could also add it to food.

More info... http://naturalsociety.com/turmeric-a...-black-pepper/

Comment

Great! I'll have to give that a shot. Thank you for the input.

Comment

NIce article shared.
                        Can someone share about health benefits of turmeric.

Comment

Did you happen to get your blood test after exercise? C Reactive protein elevates after exercise giving a false reading compared to a normal state.

Comment

You are probably right and I am probably projecting! :-) http://www.tykeanimal.com

Comment

Working...
                            X