• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• akqjt
    started a topic Problems digesting sweet potatoes

Problems digesting sweet potatoes

Hey guys,

35/M athlete here, paleo/primal for 5 years now. I'm in a glycolytically demanding sport (MMA) so I usually eat a lot of sweet potatoes for dinner.

But it gives me a fair amount of gas and sometimes even some runny poops the next day. It's not intolerable, but it doesn't seem to digest as well for me as say, white rice does. I've tried both American sweet potatoes and Korean purple potatoes but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. My usual preparation method is peeled and slow cooked, although sometimes I will oven bake. None of this seems to make too much of a difference.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to prepare the powerful sweet potato for digestibility? It would suck to lose out on such a nutrient powerhouse, but maybe it's better off that I just change it up to white rice or white potatoes.

Thanks!
    Last edited by akqjt; 09-20-2016, 11:06 AM. Reason: more accurate title

• picklepete
    replied
    Originally posted by akqjt View Post
    Do you guys have any suggestions on how to prepare the powerful sweet potato for digestibility? It would suck to lose out on such a nutrient powerhouse, but maybe it's better off that I just change it up to white rice or white potatoes.
    Visit an Asian market and try one of every starch: tropical yam (white, yellow, nagaimo), cassava, taro, lotus, burdock, plantain, kabocha, breadfruit, chestnut, water chestnut...

They all make good activity fuel (glucose + potassium), no seeds required.

Leave a comment:

• OnTheBayou
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam_Heather View Post
    Hi there,

Do you eat potatoes by itself or you combined it with other foods such as meat? Because if you do, it will definitely gives you discomfort and will cause indigestion. I experienced this many times before until I have learned the proper food combination where it basically states that our body is not designed to digest more than one concentrated food in the stomach at the same time. You can eat potatoes with vegetables and that's fine but not with other concentrated foods.

Hope that helps.
    Puh-leaze!

Leave a comment:

• Sam_Heather
    replied
    Originally posted by akqjt View Post

But it gives me a fair amount of gas and sometimes even some runny poops the next day. It's not intolerable, but it doesn't seem to digest as well for me as say, white rice does. I've tried both American sweet potatoes and Korean purple potatoes but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. My usual preparation method is peeled and slow cooked, although sometimes I will oven bake. None of this seems to make too much of a difference.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to prepare the powerful sweet potato for digestibility?

Thanks!
    Hi there,

Do you eat potatoes by itself or you combined it with other foods such as meat? Because if you do, it will definitely gives you discomfort and will cause indigestion. I experienced this many times before until I have learned the proper food combination where it basically states that our body is not designed to digest more than one concentrated food in the stomach at the same time. You can eat potatoes with vegetables and that's fine but not with other concentrated foods.

Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• noodletoy
    replied
    white potatoes get a bad rap. they are a wonderful food. if you get that much gastric upset from sweet potatoes just switch to white, never mind rice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X