No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much protein?

Hi everyone,

5'3'' female, 114 lbs, D1 soccer player (2 hours of training 6/7 days of week), cross-fit 2-3 times a week

I am currently consuming between 95-110 g of protein each day from a variety of animal meats and a single serving of nuts. Is this too much? Will this store as fat? Protein and fat is how I have always satisfied my hunger and I find myself particularly hungry on days where I have two intense workouts. Is it okay if I go over 2,000 calories on days like these?

Please help!

It was my understanding that 0.5 - 1.0 g of protein per pound was about right, but I'm sure it depends on who you talk to. This is likely going to be one of those things where opinions vary widely. But now I'm curious what everyone else has to say.
    Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by ekinkl01 View Post
      Hi everyone,

5'3'' female, 114 lbs, D1 soccer player (2 hours of training 6/7 days of week), cross-fit 2-3 times a week

I am currently consuming between 95-110 g of protein each day from a variety of animal meats and a single serving of nuts. Is this too much? Will this store as fat? Protein and fat is how I have always satisfied my hunger and I find myself particularly hungry on days where I have two intense workouts. Is it okay if I go over 2,000 calories on days like these?

Please help!
      For a person of your size, I feel like 110 grams is probably a bit much, especially if it is all coming from muscle tissue. Though I think you could definitely go well over 2000 calories. If you are as active as you say, you could probably go over 3000 calories.
      My opinions and some justification

Comment

Originally posted by ekinkl01 View Post
        Hi everyone,

Please help!
        Take the numbers as a rough estimate. Focus more on
        - how you feel (energy, mood, stress, hunger)
        - how you look (losing muscles ? gaining fat ? or the opposite ? or both in the same way ?)
        - how you sleep and how feel you are recovering from so much activity (this usually translates into how motivated you feel about going through yet another week of workouts, etc).

Comment

Protein is vital to tissue repair. D1 soccer plus crossfit? Even for a female of your stature I don't think that amount of protein is too much at all. More important that you get enough than worrying about getting too much. As long as you still feel and perform well I would certainly keep it up. And no....2000 calories on your high intensity workout days is certainly not too much!

Comment

I read a book before that says that the RDA protein requirement is 56 grams daily because if we consume more than the body requires then it will place a heavy burden on the system because the body will try to get rid of this excess.

In addition, the excess protein will not only robs you of your energy but will also store in your body as a toxic waste. I suggest that you eat meat no more than once a day if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Heather View Post
              I read a book before that says that the RDA protein requirement is 56 grams daily because if we consume more than the body requires then it will place a heavy burden on the system because the body will try to get rid of this excess.

In addition, the excess protein will not only robs you of your energy but will also store in your body as a toxic waste. I suggest that you eat meat no more than once a day if you can.
              I suggest you read more books. Sounds like you are referring to this study. According to this study, the side effects you mention come from eating a very high protein diet which they define as >200 g/d. There are other views to consider.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/thre...take-6546.html
              Last edited by Artbuc; 10-02-2016, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
                I suggest you read more books. Sounds like you are referring to this study. According to this study, the side effects you mention come from eating a very high protein diet which they define as >200 g/d. There are other views to consider.

+1

Definitely read more books.

Comment

I suggest that you eat meat no more than once a day if you can.
                  I would agree with the others - read more.

In addition to that being more propaganda than science, protein is more effective when spread out over the course of a day, not just in one meal.

Not that you can't get protein from other sources besides meat, but it's very protein dense. And it's delicious.
                  Durp.

Comment

Sam, you really need to get some science education before, once again, spouting total nonsense. Excess protein robs one of energy and is stored as toxic waste?

Puh-leeeeze.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
                      Sam, you really need to get some science education before, once again, spouting total nonsense. Excess protein robs one of energy and is stored as toxic waste?

Puh-leeeeze.
                      He is talking about a study looking at very high protein diets, >200 g/d. At this level, metabolized protein waste is toxic and does accumulate.

Comment

He is talking about a study looking at very high protein diets, >200 g/d. At this level, metabolized protein waste is toxic and does accumulate.
                        I think bodybuilders routinely eat that much and more. When I've gone on a protein binge for purposes of satiety, I've eaten more than 200 g/day.

And if one uses as a guide, 1 gm/day per pound of Lean Body Mass, there's all but 200g for a lot of men................or, active women.

Comment

What an absolutely nothing paper. Not ONE citation, just some researchers in Australia concluded.............. The she goes on to say that high protein consumption causes obesity because, you know, like, it has calories in it? And infers that it causes hepatic encephalopathy, whereas excessive protein consumption is only one possible cause: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatic_encephalopathy

And then when the recommendation is a low fat, low cholesterol diet, you know the type of nattering nutritional nabob we are dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
                            What an absolutely nothing paper. Not ONE citation, just some researchers in Australia concluded.............. The she goes on to say that high protein consumption causes obesity because, you know, like, it has calories in it? And infers that it causes hepatic encephalopathy, whereas excessive protein consumption is only one possible cause: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatic_encephalopathy

And then when the recommendation is a low fat, low cholesterol diet, you know the type of nattering nutritional nabob we are dealing with.
                            That was not the study, just an article talking about it. The actual study is easy to find on the net. I have seen a few references that indicate high protein can trigger or exacerbate HE.
                            Last edited by Artbuc; 10-10-2016, 08:43 AM.

Comment

That was not the study, just an article talking about it. The actual study is easy to find on the net.
                              I know, but I'm not going to spend time chasing down something which, as reported, doesn't seem very valid.

Again, body builders should be all lined up for liver transplants if it were to be believed.

Comment

Working...
                              X