Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on my high fasting sugar levels

For the last few months I have been eating primal. I need to lose about 20 pounds. I am a 45 year old female. I get moderate exercise. I haven't lost any weight as of yet eating like this. But I feel better so I have kept with it. I had to get a wellness check done to get a discounted rate in my health insurance. I had to pass 4 out 5. I knew the weight part was a fail. But I thought for sure since I have been eating so much better that everything else would be fine. Nope. My fasting blood glucose was high. So I picked up a monitor and have been checking it. I am running about a 130 average for my fasting. However. Throughout the day it goes down and checks out fine on the 2 hour after meals test. Of course the doctor is having a fit and keeps calling me to go back in and wants to "discuss" medication. ?? Thoughts?? Any reason my numbers are high eating this way? I also want to add that I have the primal fuel with almond milk in the mornings with a half cup of blueberries. Organic greens with meat for lunch and a primal dinner. I do have a drink with vodka and soda water about three nights a week.
    Last edited by mainemom; 09-30-2016, 06:24 PM.

Magnesium is important for blood sugar regulation, but it can be difficult to get on a Primal diet. Meat only has a bit and green vegetables don't provide much unless you eat mountains of them. That might be one reason. Sodium is also important, so if you don't salt your food sufficiently, that could be a second reason.

Another thing is that having the wrong gut flora can really promote diabetes, but it is still poorly understood and difficult to fix.
    My opinions and some justification

Comment

What kind of almond milk do you drink and what other sugar foods are you eating? Fruits for example besides blueberries.

Comment

Fruits like blueberries won't contribute much but you have to remember the proper consumption of fruit which is not to mix with other foods. If you do, eat your fruits first before anything else. The reason? fruits easily digest and if you mix with other foods, it will just delay digestion and the entire mass of foods begins to spoil that will lead to discomfort.

Correct fruit consumption will help in losing weight as well. I have fruits for breakfast since 2012 and I felt so wonderful! You might want to try this and let me know how you feel.

Comment

Are you eating at a very low level of carb calories (whether through carb avoidance or calorie restriction)? High FBG is common among VLC/keto dieters (in which case it's attributed to "physiological insulin resistance") and also reported in extended fasts, though 130 mg/dl is higher than even that of the Inuit in STUDIES ON THE METABOLISM OF ESKIMOS BY PETER HEINBECKER at a FBG of around 110-120, and I've seen the 90's in other measurements of traditional/healthy Inuit.
          Originally posted by tatertot
          Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
          "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

I am using the blue diamond unsweetened plain almond milk. my reading this morning is 148. I am getting a little concerned. I haven't eaten since around 2:00 yesterday afternoon. As far as fruit is concerned the half cup of blueberries is about all I have per day. I will start eating a piece of fruit before my 1 scoop of primal fuel in the morning. I have been researching and I am wondering if I should start taking chromium picolinate? Manganese was mentioned as well. I REALLY want to avoid medication. I don't even like to take ibuprofen for a headache! A cup of coffee will usually take care of that for me.

Comment

It sounds like cortisol issues are driving your FBG. Read up on the "Dawn Phenomeon" to see what is recommended by Rosedale, Bernstein, Mercola and other health advocates to see how to handle it.

Comment

People who eat paleo/primal can typically have higher fasting blood glucose levels, and I think (not sure though) it has something to do with stress (cortisol), as cortisol elevates blood sugar. If you are not eating enough calories for what your body perceives it needs, it can elevate cortisol. I think Dr Mercola touched on this so perhaps google that and see what you come up with.

Conversely, fasting blood sugar might not be the best gauge, it's what your blood sugar is doing in response to meals, like how high is it spiking and how long does it take to come back down. What you dont want is it spiking to epic proportions after you eat, and you dont want it elevated for any longer than a couple of hours. If it's still elevated past say 2-4 hours from your fasting glucose, then there is a problem.

If you want to try an experiment on yourself, then try eating dense caloric salty and sugary foods for about 2 days, then test your fasting blood sugar the morning of the 3rd day. I'm talking things like bacon, eggs, pancakes with syrup, and generous portions of salt. Pastas, breads, juices (maybe), chocolate milk, all the stuff you think you shouldn't be eating. This doesn't mean binge, but eat these foods until you're full. This should be more than enough to suppress cortisol which should in turn lower your fasting blood sugar the following morning....

Then again, is that necessarily the healthiest way of eating.. which should tell someone that maybe having a higher fasting blood glucose is better than a low one.

Comment

Originally posted by WestCoastFire View Post
                  People who eat paleo/primal can typically have higher fasting blood glucose levels, and I think (not sure though) it has something to do with stress (cortisol), as cortisol elevates blood sugar. If you are not eating enough calories for what your body perceives it needs, it can elevate cortisol. I think Dr Mercola touched on this so perhaps google that and see what you come up with.

Conversely, fasting blood sugar might not be the best gauge, it's what your blood sugar is doing in response to meals, like how high is it spiking and how long does it take to come back down. What you dont want is it spiking to epic proportions after you eat, and you dont want it elevated for any longer than a couple of hours. If it's still elevated past say 2-4 hours from your fasting glucose, then there is a problem.

If you want to try an experiment on yourself, then try eating dense caloric salty and sugary foods for about 2 days, then test your fasting blood sugar the morning of the 3rd day. I'm talking things like bacon, eggs, pancakes with syrup, and generous portions of salt. Pastas, breads, juices (maybe), chocolate milk, all the stuff you think you shouldn't be eating. This doesn't mean binge, but eat these foods until you're full. This should be more than enough to suppress cortisol which should in turn lower your fasting blood sugar the following morning....

Then again, is that necessarily the healthiest way of eating.. which should tell someone that maybe having a higher fasting blood glucose is better than a low one.
                  I am trying this experiment. I started yesterday. I had my primal smoothie for breakfast. For lunch I had organic spring mix and a plate of pasta with red sauce. For dinner I had homemade taco salad. Instead of a glass of vodka I had a glass of red wine. When I tested this morning it was 115. Which is down from the usual So I will keep this up for a couple of days as suggested and see what happens. thanks for the suggestions and input from everyone here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Heather View Post
                    Fruits like blueberries won't contribute much but you have to remember the proper consumption of fruit which is not to mix with other foods. If you do, eat your fruits first before anything else. The reason? fruits easily digest and if you mix with other foods, it will just delay digestion and the entire mass of foods begins to spoil that will lead to discomfort.

Correct fruit consumption will help in losing weight as well. I have fruits for breakfast since 2012 and I felt so wonderful! You might want to try this and let me know how you feel.
                    Horse pucky, Sam. The whole food sequencing thing is zombie woo. Foods spoil in your digestive system? Big NOT.

I noticed you advocating fruit for breakfast for weight loss in another thread. If it works, it's only because it's low in calories. Most fruit. Nothing magical.

Sorry if I'm being impolite, but I get real upset at non-science.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
                      Horse pucky, Sam. The whole food sequencing thing is zombie woo. Foods spoil in your digestive system? Big NOT.

I noticed you advocating fruit for breakfast for weight loss in another thread. If it works, it's only because it's low in calories. Most fruit. Nothing magical.

Sorry if I'm being impolite, but I get real upset at non-science.
                      I don't know about food sequencing but I have had huge success with my Blood Type diet. Eating food inconsistent with your blood type will cause rapid onset of gangrene in your lower extremities.

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
                        I don't know about food sequencing but I have had huge success with my Blood Type diet. Eating food inconsistent with your blood type will cause rapid onset of gangrene in your lower extremities.
                        It took awhile..................but joke, right?

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
                          It took awhile..................but joke, right?
                          Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny but my wife says I am the only one who thinks my jokes are funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
                            Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny but my wife says I am the only one who thinks my jokes are funny.
                            I like it too. Creating and understanding out there humor takes intelligence and life experience.

Comment

If your doctor is freaked out about your fasting BS, ask for an A1C test - it measures average blood sugar over the past 3 months. It is a better measure of insulin resistance and hyperglycemia than just a fasting level.

Comment

Working...
                              X