Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about LOW CHOLESTEROL?!

I've received some basic labs back from a blood test, I know my HDL is low but I feel like my cholesterol should be higher? I'm worried it's too low, how can I raise it up to be a better number? I know exercise can raise my HDL. What do you guys think?

HDL-35
    LDL-73
    Tri- 106
    Total Cholesterol- 129
    Their "Ratio"- 3.7

Barring any unusual health issues that are unmentioned, I think you have a valid concern. Have you reviewed your results with your doc to see if there is any concern from him/her? That would be my first step. You are on the other end of most cholesterol concerns, I'm on the opposite side, so haven't paid much attention to low numbers, but don't recall seeing much on the low side being an issue. But here are some things you can look into.
    Mark had a "Dear Mark" post on "Blood Markers" : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/blood...#axzz1hBL1ToK9
    Some time back (several years) I spent a fair amount of time finding "stats" for the cholesterol test. This is a summary of what I found from various sources. Given that I don't still have the links to the sources, I can't vouch for them being the One True Definition.
    I would encourage you to do more research:
    LDL: <70 Very High risk | <100 High risk |100-129 near ideal |130-159 Borderline high |160-189 High >=190 Very High
    HDL: Women - <50 Poor | 50-59 Better | >=60 Best
    Men - <40 Poor | 40-59 Better | >=60 Best
    Triglycerides: <150 Good | 150-199 near high| 200-499 High | >=500 Very High
    Ratios:
    Total / HDL 3.5 is ideal, should be < 5
    Trig / HDL <=2 Ideal | 4 High | 6 Danger
    LDL / HDL <=4.3 Ideal | 4.4-7.1 Average risk | >7.1 - 11 Moderate risk | >11 High risk
    Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
    My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

Saturated fat, especially coconut oil, raises cholesterol
      My opinions and some justification

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
        Saturated fat, especially coconut oil, raises cholesterol
        ...my lab work would disagree on the dietary 'effect' of saturated fat. For comparison I could post the numbers from two years ago, but they were almost identical. These are from last week:

TC - 155.6 mg/dL
        Trigs - 32.8 mg/dL
        HDL - 85.5 mg/dL
        LDL - 63.8 mg/dL
        TC/HDL ratio - 1.8

Dietary consistencies in the last year:

2 whole eggs per day min, and then once a week (on Sunday) I have 7
        2-3 tbsps butter
        2-3 tbsps coconut oil
        Red meat (lamb or Beef), 4-5 nights/week
        500-600g of cheddar cheese every night (we all have vices, and well, that's mine! )

Context:

47 year-old male
        6'1"
        168 lbs
        Active
        Last edited by hebsie; 10-09-2016, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hebsie View Post
          ...my lab work would disagree on the dietary 'effect' of saturated fat. For comparison I could post the numbers from two years ago, but they were almost identical. These are from last week:

TC - 155.6 mg/dL
          Trigs - 32.8 mg/dL
          HDL - 85.5 mg/dL
          LDL - 63.8 mg/dL
          TC/HDL ratio - 1.8

Dietary consistencies in the last year:

2 whole eggs per day min, and then once a week (on Sunday) I have 7
          2-3 tbsps butter
          2-3 tbsps coconut oil
          Red meat (lamb or Beef), 4-5 nights/week
          500-600g of cheddar cheese every night (we all have vices, and well, that's mine! )

Context:

47 year-old male
          6'1"
          168 lbs
          Active
          Not sure why you would take your stats and conclude that satfat doesn't raise HDL. First of all, you are at the high end, so if anything, your diet shows that, indeed, satfat does raise HDL.

Second, there's the generally acknowledged science that satfat raises HDL. In fact, one reason people on paleo sometimes have higher TC is that fact. However, their ratios improve.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
            Not sure why you would take your stats and conclude that satfat doesn't raise HDL. First of all, you are at the high end, so if anything, your diet shows that, indeed, satfat does raise HDL.

Second, there's the generally acknowledged science that satfat raises HDL. In fact, one reason people on paleo sometimes have higher TC is that fact. However, their ratios improve.
            ...my point was, these are my lipid stats, with and without a high sat fat diet. A diet high is sat fat has NOT raised my TC nor my HDL. My lipids have always been within a few points of these levels that I posted, even on a SAD diet.

Comment

Originally posted by hebsie View Post
              ...my point was, these are my lipid stats, with and without a high sat fat diet. A diet high is sat fat has NOT raised my TC nor my HDL. My lipids have always been within a few points of these levels that I posted, even on a SAD diet.
              That was my point. You are already high, so any increase is unlikely.

And has nothing to do with the OP's issue.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
                That was my point. You are already high, so any increase is unlikely.

And has nothing to do with the OP's issue.
                ...you're a difficult man, so there's no sense discussing this any further with you...hebs

Comment

Age. Increasing age in women particularly, leads to a rising cholesterol level. Octagenarians frequently have high levels deemed to be worrying in younger people, but are less of a concern for people already in their 80's and up. ;-)
                  My mother's family mostly died of strokes and heart problems - about 12 of her siblings lived into the upper 80's and one to 95. Most had elevated cholesterol. I don't think any worried about their cholesterol until other health problems got them into Doctors' grasp.

Comment

It could be your body is very efficient at manufacturing Testosterone from your cholesterol. I've often wondered if someone's cholesterol is high is due to some sort of kink in the chain so to speak along the pathway during Testosterone production. Did you happen to get your T checked while your at it?

As Paysan said, "If" it is indeed true that women increasing in age also increase in cholesterol; it's generally known that as one increases age, Testosterone production slows down. At least in most people. So as someone ages, their cholesterol rises as their T production slows down. This may be normal though. Mark mentioned in an article back in 2010 that as metabolism rises life expectancy decreases, and Testosterone raises metabolism (or raises with metabolism).

So in your body's own best interest, it tries to prolong life by slowing down T production as it ages which in turn causes cholesterol to rise... maybe. So your low cholesterol may mean your body is very efficient at manufacturing Testosterone, or still is.

Comment

Do you have any symptoms that you think could be explained by your low cholesterol levels? They seem to be associated with cognitive problems like depression, anxiety, suicide, and dementia.

HDL is complex and not completely understood. The observational studies that suggest that high HDL is protective are based on naturally occurring levels, not HDL after people have tried an intervention to raise it. Some experimental drugs that increase HDL have also increased death rates. I doubt that would be a problem with lifestyle changes that bring other positive results, but I wouldn't chase a higher HDL number for its own sake without more information.
                      I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

Originally posted by mzzmisty View Post
                        I've received some basic labs back from a blood test, I know my HDL is low but I feel like my cholesterol should be higher? I'm worried it's too low, how can I raise it up to be a better number? I know exercise can raise my HDL. What do you guys think?
                        Cholesterol is a composite number (sum of various things "good" and "bad"), you can't "raise it up to be better number".

Just eat more lard, butter, coconut oil and see if HDL goes up, cholesterol may go up also (though irrelevant). HDL is too low, even for a female.

Comment

Working...
                        X