Ad Widget

Collapse

Why is Olive Oil Paleo & Sunflower Seed Oil Not?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Olive Oil Paleo & Sunflower Seed Oil Not?

The only argument I can find for seed oils not being paleo is that you'd need to squeeze an unrealistic amount of seeds to make a significant amount of oil. You'd nee to squeeze a smaller, but still significant amount of olives to make olive oil. Making oil out of coconuts would be difficult for Grok. I don't really care what Grok did. I just want to do what's healthy, primal or not. Can someone please explain why some oils are healthy and some aren't?

Trader Joe's has plantain chips with sunflower oil. What happens to me when I eat those versus when I make my own with coconut oil? Is it an Omega 3:6 ratio issue? What if I take a fish oil when I eat the TJ's plantain chips?

Unsaturated oils can break down in a way that is unhealthy. The less saturated they are, the more likely this is. Coconut oil is mostly saturated, making it very stable. Olive oil is mostly monounsaturated, making it less stable. Sunflower oil is mostly polyunsaturated, making it much less stable.
    My opinions and some justification

Comment

Mark did a good explanation in the past. I say google oils above.
      Last edited by perennialpam; 10-11-2016, 03:07 AM.
      Female back to the basics: 5-2017
      CW: 2017: 150
      GW: 130 a dream, I know
      Muscle soreness surrounding Neck, Thyroid and Rosacea issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Artiepoo View Post
        The only argument I can find for seed oils not being paleo is that you'd need to squeeze an unrealistic amount of seeds to make a significant amount of oil. You'd nee to squeeze a smaller, but still significant amount of olives to make olive oil. Making oil out of coconuts would be difficult for Grok. I don't really care what Grok did. I just want to do what's healthy, primal or not. Can someone please explain why some oils are healthy and some aren't?

Trader Joe's has plantain chips with sunflower oil. What happens to me when I eat those versus when I make my own with coconut oil? Is it an Omega 3:6 ratio issue? What if I take a fish oil when I eat the TJ's plantain chips?
        Hey!

While I don't care about the saturation of fat in real foods (almonds vs coconut for example), I do care about one thing: keeping my free testosterone at a good level. Sunflower oil is a nogo in this department because as with anything soy, you will tend to enhance estrogen dominance. So, "eat like a man" and don't forget broccoli and mushrooms, they help clearing away estrogen

http://www.charismanews.com/marketpl...strogen-levels

Excerpt :

[...]Broccoli is one food that all men should add to their daily routines. Broccoli assists your body in removing the unwanted and unnecessary estrogen found nearly everywhere. I also know your liver would appreciate at least one-half of a red apple per day, a minimum of one-third cup of beet fiber and one medium carrot.

Dr. Bob's ABCs promote optimal liver function which, in turn, helps clear estrogen. There are other foods that help your body control estrogen; they would include blueberries, celery, sour cherries, cranberries, red grapes, purple grape juice, horseradish, kale, tomatoes and mushrooms.

[...]Be aware if you are using a testosterone patch or product to build muscle, it may unknowingly be converted to estrogen because of an increase in an enzyme called aromatase. Foods such as tofu, soybeans, soy protein isolate, sunflower oil, soybean oil, safflower oil, corn oil and alcohol boost aromatase and should be avoided if you are using any type of testosterone product.[...]
        I can tell you: stuff in green I eat nearly every day while stuff in red, I never eat /drink in any significant amount. Soy stuff, I NEVER eat.

Ooops, I forgot about the 'paleo' tag thing: I don't care.
        Last edited by FrenchFry; 10-11-2016, 05:54 AM.

Comment

I just want to do what's healthy, primal or not. Can someone please explain why some oils are healthy and some aren't?
          Definitive Guide to oils:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/

Sunflower Seed

Insanely high in PUFAs with little to no Omega-3s to balance them out, sunflower seed oil is a pretty bad choice for sauteeing, baking, roasting, and even salad making. Trouble is itís everywhere, and it has a reputation for being healthy. Just donít keep the stuff in your house (not a problem; itís flavorless, odorless, and completely boring), and keep dining out in cheap chain restaurants to a minimum (or you could do what I do and request everything be cooked in butter), and you should be able to avoid sunflower seed oil.

19% MUFA
          63% PUFA
          10% SFA

Comment

The only argument I can find for seed oils not being paleo is...
            Time/Evolution. Primates ate as staple foods, in the following order: plants, animals, grains, dairy. Thus animal and plants fats are good, grain fats are not good. The end, not complicated.

Comment

Working...
            X