Ad Widget

Collapse

Has anyone gotten over sudden food sensitivities(not digesting food)?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone gotten over sudden food sensitivities(not digesting food)?

Background not necessary to answer the question:

Basically I haven't been digesting food properly for over 2 years now. Research has led me to believe I am sensitive to salicylates (can't use store bought deodorant or eat olive oil without lower abdomen pain, bloating, and having to pee every 10 minutes), maybe histamine, and sugar (extreme bloating and yellow stool, but only sometimes). I am cutting out foods containing the aforementioned starting today (the latest in many many elimination diets I have tried) but I don't understand why after 20 years of relative digestive normalcy my stomach is now in a perpetual state of pain or discomfort. I know that the problems result from what I put in my mouth (I went to Germany for 10 days and had a normal digestive system for the first 3 (it was incredible I almost cried...) but haven't been able to replicate that since) but I can't seem to pin the causes down definitively because my symptoms are always changing and they can last for more than a day after ingesting the offending food.

My theories:

I was on adderall daily (taking it as prescribed but I was prescribed too much) for over 2 years and fear this may have affected my stomach lining or something.

Bacterial or viral infection from who knows what. I have all the symptoms of h. pylori but have had stool, breath, and blood tests that came back "normal" (elevated levels of fat in the stool sample though).

Childhood allergies coming to a head. I have taken an antihistamine for allergies every day since childhood and also had eczema a few times which got pretty bad at times and left scars for years, maybe whatever caused that is just now reaching my gut I don't know.

I have tried half a dozen probiotics, pancreatic enzymes, diatomaceous earth, mastic gum, and many many vitamins. I'm going to try Quercetin, Colostrum, and "Vitamin U" next week. I have been to a couple doctors and am seeing a new one on the 1st. Thank you for reading, any suggestions or leads are much appreciated, I would eat or do anything to feel normal again.
    Last edited by Icecaps; 10-24-2016, 01:25 PM.

You've presented a complicated bunch of symptoms that could take a lot of effort to resolve.

You might want to analyze the effect of chronic antihistamine use. Histamine plays a crucial role in gut function, immune system function (including food tolersnce) and neurotransmitter function. Chronic antihistamine use may have put you in a histamine deficit. Perhaps, there's another treatment for whatever purpose you chronically use antihistamines to trest?
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

I too suffered from eczema as a child. Earlier this year I found myself suddenly having strong reactions to all kinds of foods. High histamine foods and also salicates/ biogenic amines would give me a runny nose and cause my throat to fill up with phlegm.

I think taking soil based probiotics fixed the problem for me, they gave me a pretty bad hangover at first so I'm guessing it killed off some bad bugs in my gut.

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
        You've presented a complicated bunch of symptoms that could take a lot of effort to resolve.

You might want to analyze the effect of chronic antihistamine use. Histamine plays a crucial role in gut function, immune system function (including food tolersnce) and neurotransmitter function. Chronic antihistamine use may have put you in a histamine deficit. Perhaps, there's another treatment for whatever purpose you chronically use antihistamines to trest?
        I've been taking an herbal "histamine blocker" supplement for the past couple weeks which seems to be working for my pollen and dander allergies (haven't had to take an antihistamine since but it also isn't really allergy season for me anymore so it's hard to say for sure) but has no effect on my stomach, it's still early though so maybe I'll see some gastrointestinal improvement in time.

Originally posted by jasperb View Post
        I too suffered from eczema as a child. Earlier this year I found myself suddenly having strong reactions to all kinds of foods. High histamine foods and also salicates/ biogenic amines would give me a runny nose and cause my throat to fill up with phlegm.

I think taking soil based probiotics fixed the problem for me, they gave me a pretty bad hangover at first so I'm guessing it killed off some bad bugs in my gut.
        Interesting!! Can you please tell exactly which probiotics you used and if you made any changes to your diet while using them?

Comment

I used/ use prescript assist. Diet wise I avoided everything I reacted to, which was a lot, so I ate beef, turkey, rice and potatoes. The only fat I could stand was butter. Now I can eat just about anything again, including histamine no no's like citrus fruits, cashews and tinned fish.

Comment

Originally posted by jasperb View Post
            I used/ use prescript assist. Diet wise I avoided everything I reacted to, which was a lot, so I ate beef, turkey, rice and potatoes. The only fat I could stand was butter. Now I can eat just about anything again, including histamine no no's like citrus fruits, cashews and tinned fish.
            Thank you! I will try that, I'm still figuring out everything I react to but I realized a while ago that I couldn't have olive oil or coconut oil and have been using butter exclusively. Do you take the prescript once daily? How long did it take for you to no longer have reactions to food?

Comment

Have you looked into amine allergy as a possibility? Both olive- and coconut oil are very high in amines. There's a list of amine content of foods here https://aminerecipes.com/low-amine-grocery-list/.

I started with the prescript assist by taking one capsule daily, now I break them open and just take a little bit. I guess after a few weeks I noticed that I could eat peanuts again and began experimenting. Now only eggs ocasionally still give me a mild reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecaps View Post
                ... yellow stool, ....

... (elevated levels of fat in the stool sample though).
                These symptoms suggest to me that you may not have enough bile. You should make sure that your gallbladder and liver are in good working order.
                I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

asperb: I have looked into amine sensitivity yes, between salicylates and histamines literally every other common amine containing food is covered and antihistamines don't seem to help (whereas they do help non food allergies) so I figure amines aren't the whole story.

sharperhawk: Gallbladder deficiency was my first suspicion over a year ago and I think I may have had gallstones at some point but I've ruled it out because:

- Bile salts don't help (digestive enzymes do but not bile salts)
                  - The level of oil excreted doesn't correlate with how much fat I eat (I went from a very very low fat diet to going through a half stick of butter a day to no change)
                  - I had an ultrasound done that showed my gallbladder was fine (though I wouldn't put it past the doctor to have missed something) and I had a liver test come back normal as well.
                  - The sometimes yellow color I'm almost sure is from bacterial/yeast overgrowth (though I was on antibiotics in June that did nothing) as it gets lighter the more simple carbs I eat.

I think the inflammation caused by my food sensitivities might be preventing bile from reaching its destination, I see more oil when I eat more problematic food.
                  Last edited by Icecaps; 10-24-2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I've heard Raw Honey, it really needs to be Raw Honey can work wonders for allergies. Of course it's added carbs but it could work for you.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

I have tried Manuka honey, delicious as it is expensive but ultimately not helpful in my case.

I am now considering chronic Lyme disease, I live in CT and had a dog 7 years ago who was diagnosed with Lyme. I have many of the symptoms which I previously attributed to adderall (heart racing after eating certain foods, bladder problems, weak joints, chills, fatigue, muscle twitches (doesn't happen anymore)) but not all of them (no headaches, fever, swelling, cognitive problems (though by now I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell) and the Lyme test I took two days ago came back negative (I don't know which test was done though, there are two common ones and one is more accurate I've read).

I'm extremely confident that I have a bacterial or viral infection of some sort but have no way to prove it or to know which antibiotics I should be on and for how long. Next week I will get the results of my blood work and stool test (I expect the result will be "mostly normal with some abnormalities we cannot explain") and in the meantime I will look into the reliability of my Lyme test and continue doctor shopping.
                      Last edited by Icecaps; 11-18-2016, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X