Ad Widget

Collapse

confused about macadamia nuts and O6:O3 ratio??

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused about macadamia nuts and O6:O3 ratio??

I am currently reading The Primal Blueprint. Mark seems to be highly in favor of macadamia nuts. However he also talks about O6:O3 ratios and how you need more O3 and less O6. It says in his book that you need to bring down O6 levels and get more O3. In chapter 4 of his book, right under the food pyramid it says:

"Macadamia Nuts: Elevated above other nuts and seeds due to concerns about moderating omega-6 intake. Other nuts and seeds have unfavorable O6:O3 ratios"

Well I researched macadamia nuts and everywhere I look I find that macadamias have WAAAAAAAY more O6 than O3. Like a crap-ton more... So what gives? Am I reading something wrong, or misunderstanding something here?

Originally posted by tk421 View Post
    I am currently reading The Primal Blueprint. Mark seems to be highly in favor of macadamia nuts. However he also talks about O6:O3 ratios and how you need more O3 and less O6. It says in his book that you need to bring down O6 levels and get more O3. In chapter 4 of his book, right under the food pyramid it says:

"Macadamia Nuts: Elevated above other nuts and seeds due to concerns about moderating omega-6 intake. Other nuts and seeds have unfavorable O6:O3 ratios"

Well I researched macadamia nuts and everywhere I look I find that macadamias have WAAAAAAAY more O6 than O3. Like a crap-ton more... So what gives? Am I reading something wrong, or misunderstanding something here?
    You are right. It's that macadamia nuts are "the least bad" among the nuts. There are very few natural foods that have high levels of O3. Your diet will always have more O6 even if you are popping fish oil supps.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
      You are right. It's that macadamia nuts are "the least bad" among the nuts. There are very few natural foods that have high levels of O3. Your diet will always have more O6 even if you are popping fish oil supps.
      So is there any way to get less O6 and more O3? Like have a O6:O3 ratio of 1:5 or something like that? Or does that not make any sense?

Comment

Originally posted by tk421 View Post

you are missing something. the O6:O3 ratio is important, but how many of those fats are actually in mac nuts? Hardly any.
        In a serving of Macadamia nuts:
        Fats & Fatty Acids
        Total Fat: 21.4g
        Saturated Fat 3.4g
        Monounsaturated Fat 16.6g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4g
        Total Omega-3 fatty acids 58.2mg
        Total Omega-6 fatty acids 366mg
        http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3123/2

So, true, the ratio isn't great but there isn't much there to worry about and the health benefits of the other fats greatly outweighs the downsides of the ratio.

Also see:
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-d...guide-to-nuts/

Comment

I think the best thing you can do, regarding omega-3 and omega-6, is simply to minimize both.
          My opinions and some justification

Comment

Which nuts would be more healthy relatively speaking?

Comment

A serving of salmon has 3,982 mg of omega-3 and 339 mg of omega-6. So eating one of those per week should balance out a daily serving of macadamias.

Even for a Peatarian minimizing all polyunsaturated fats, 500 mg shouldn't be a big deal, given that you avoid processed foods and vegetable oil. Compare that to almonds, with 3,400 mg of polyunsaturated fat.
              I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

Originally posted by sharperhawk View Post
                A serving of salmon has 3,982 mg of omega-3 and 339 mg of omega-6. So eating one of those per week should balance out a daily serving of macadamias.

Even for a Peatarian minimizing all polyunsaturated fats, 500 mg shouldn't be a big deal, given that you avoid processed foods and vegetable oil. Compare that to almonds, with 3,400 mg of polyunsaturated fat.
                Thanks for the info.

Comment

eating primally it's much easier to worry less about this kind of thing. most americans get WAY too much O6 from processed foods, snacks and commercial fried foods. assuming you're not eating any of those, a handful of nuts is not a cause for concern.
                  As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

And macadamas are quite filling - I find that 6 are sufficient as a snack, which keeps the O6 intake reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                      eating primally it's much easier to worry less about this kind of thing. most americans get WAY too much O6 from processed foods, snacks and commercial fried foods. assuming you're not eating any of those, a handful of nuts is not a cause for concern.
                      Exactly.

Comment

And macadamas are quite filling - I find that 6 are sufficient as a snack, which keeps the O6 intake reasonable.
                        Hmm, I just ate a whole bag of Macamia nuts. 9 servings at 220 calories each. Means very little though, because I'm still damn hungry, ha ha. I'll have cod for dinner. Maybe we need to define "quite filling".
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

We can't even attach pictures anymore? How did this forum get so bad?
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                            We can't even attach pictures anymore? How did this forum get so bad?
                            its always been wonky with pics.....but since the big web site revamp its become damn near intolerable. I have to be REALLY bored to bother with it these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              its always been wonky with pics.....but since the big web site revamp its become damn near intolerable. I have to be REALLY bored to bother with it these days.
                              Whew, I thought it was just me.

Comment

Working...
                              X