Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The reason for short-term memory loss?

This is quite spooky after not only I posted something about short-term memory issues, but so did somebody else.

I just started reading a rather cool book called 'Your Brain At Work' and the beginning is talking about STM. The pre-frontal cortex deals with this and it is incredibly inefficient with energy unlike other areas of the brain. The belief is that this maybe due to the fact it is a relative newcomer compared to the rest of the brain and is still evolving.

It uses lots of glucose for STM, so my highly unscientific conclusion is that when people first go primal it takes a while for the body to switch from carb burning to produce glucose to extracting it from fats. Therefore the high glucose demands needed for short-term memory can't always be met.

Make sense?
    Self Development For People With A Sense Of Humor

Yep. It totally makes sense

Comment

It makes sense, except I'm not sure you can get glucose from fats. I thought it came from protein by way of gluconeogenesis.
      A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
        It makes sense, except I'm not sure you can get glucose from fats. I thought it came from protein by way of gluconeogenesis.
        But if one slips into ketosos, that energy comes from fats. It also takes time for the brain to properly utilize ketones.

Comment

Here is a good article

http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/...cle1024137.ece

Comment

what was the question? no, i'm kidding!
            makes sense.
            Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

That's an extraordinary article. I'm starting to think that 'things coconut oil isn't good for' would be a very short book.

Tim, I like your unscientific explanation - except that I never went low enough carb to enter ketosis, always ate unlimited vegetables, fruits and yoghourt. Erm... except for the time I had two pints of milk to make into yoghourt and needed to boil it down a little to reduce the volume, very carefully adjusted the gas to get a gentle simmer without boiling over, and left it for 10 minutes... and some hours later my husband ran through the smoke-filled kitchen to open the windows. There was a layer of pure black carbon in the bottom of the pan, all rather attractively honeycombed with bubbles. I think we still have pieces of this on display on the mantle-piece.

Comment

Zinc found critical within the brain to improve memory and cognition

Researchers publishing in the journal Neuron now identify the crucial role this super-nutrient plays in support of memory formation and cognitive stability. Additionally, they have found that zinc may also play a part in controlling the devastating occurrence of epileptic seizures. For the first time, scientists have been able to watch zinc in action as the nutrient regulates communications between neurons and the hippocampus to improve memory and learning capabilities. Ensuring proper intake of zinc is an important step toward optimal brain function and may prevent cognitive decline as we age.

Learn more: Zinc found critical within the brain to improve memory and cognition
                MUCH MORE, Google Zinc Memory Loss
                Grizz

Comment

Originally posted by timbrownson View Post
                  This is quite spooky after not only I posted something about short-term memory issues, but so did somebody else.

I just started reading a rather cool book called 'Your Brain At Work' and the beginning is talking about STM. The pre-frontal cortex deals with this and it is incredibly inefficient with energy unlike other areas of the brain. The belief is that this maybe due to the fact it is a relative newcomer compared to the rest of the brain and is still evolving.

It uses lots of glucose for STM, so my highly unscientific conclusion is that when people first go primal it takes a while for the body to switch from carb burning to produce glucose to extracting it from fats. Therefore the high glucose demands needed for short-term memory can't always be met.

Make sense?
                  In a ZC diet, glucose comes from protein, not fat- via gluconogenesis.

Then again, primal is not low-carb let alone ZC, so there's no reason not to eat carbs unless there is a specific medical reason. If I remember correctly, the brain uses about 50g of carbs a day, which is the minimum mark reccomends for any length of time.
                  Lifting Journal

Comment

Thanks for the informative article. But is there any solution for short term memory loss problem ?

Comment

Very interesting. Would short term memory be the same thing as working memory (RAM) in this case? There have been studies showing that Dual N Back training can increase working memory, which also increases overall "intelligence", although that term is hard to accurately define.

Comment

When I first started I was miserable. I was forgetting everything. I even left a post asking about this. Some people were helpful others didn't believe it. Left my cellphone in stores a lot, lost my shoes, etc etc. It was horrible. Luckily, things have improved a lot with that. but the first few weeks woah.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                          Zinc found critical within the brain to improve memory and cognition

Researchers publishing in the journal Neuron now identify the crucial role this super-nutrient plays in support of memory formation and cognitive stability. Additionally, they have found that zinc may also play a part in controlling the devastating occurrence of epileptic seizures. For the first time, scientists have been able to watch zinc in action as the nutrient regulates communications between neurons and the hippocampus to improve memory and learning capabilities. Ensuring proper intake of zinc is an important step toward optimal brain function and may prevent cognitive decline as we age.

Learn more: Zinc found critical within the brain to improve memory and cognition
                          MUCH MORE, Google Zinc Memory Loss
                          Grizz
                          Just had to add something here. I usually cycle zinc picolinate starting in October running through to about April. Anyway I've started taking zinc again and for the past 2 weeks I have been having the most insane dreams! And vivid!

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                            In a ZC diet, glucose comes from protein, not fat- via gluconogenesis.

Then again, primal is not low-carb let alone ZC, so there's no reason not to eat carbs unless there is a specific medical reason. If I remember correctly, the brain uses about 50g of carbs a day, which is the minimum mark reccomends for any length of time.
                            shakes head then face plant

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Rx View Post
                              shakes head then face plant
                              what are you head shaking, face planting about?
                              beautiful
                              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                              lol

Comment

Working...
                              X