X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch out: They've stopped labeling it HFCS

and rebranded it "corn sugar." Take a look:

http://www.albuquerquenews.net/story/685020

Because, you know, there's such a difference between "high fructose corn syrup" and "corn sugar." Really. Rebranding it makes it healthier, don'tcha know?
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

It's has other monikers over here: -

Glucose-fructose syrup and corn starch being the 2 which spring instantly to mind.
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

If it says "sugar" in the ingredients, I don't eat it.

Comment

or corn. If it says sugar or corn, I avoid it... and of course all the other usual suspects (wheat, etc)

Comment

For the most part, if it requires a label to tell you what is in it, then I avoid it.
          - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Comment

According to what I have read, they have just asked the FDA to allow them to make the switch. If you are concerned, write the FDA.

I'm not sure that the change will do what they think it will. Now, instead of it being something to do with fruit, it bluntly says it's sugar.

The good thing is that the proposal generates lots of media attention, some of which will say HFCS is bad, some will say avoid sugary stuff completely. Of course, some articles will say no difference between HFCS and plain sugar - "Don't worry about it". Hopefully, at least a few people will read up on the facts.
            Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

One of these days they'll get to throw it ins stuff as "natural flavorings" or something. He'll it's in just about every single processed food item anyway.
              http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

My favourite uh, euphemism for sugar on the ingredients label is 'evaporated cane juice'. I mean, really.

Comment

Damn those cunning linguists.
                  The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                  Blog
                  sigpic

Comment

From the Times article: "“Clearly the name is confusing consumers,” said Audrae Erickson, president of the Washington-based group, in an interview. “Research shows that ‘corn sugar’ better communicates the amount of calories, the level of fructose and the sweetness in this ingredient.”

Seriously? Laughable excuse.

Comment

If the name is confusing consumers, then they should just replace the word "glucose" with "sugar." High sugar corn syrup. Oh but wait, they want to sell the stuff. Oops. And Erickson's excuse is bullshit also because no one thinks of corn as sweet in the way they think of sugar as sweet. When I see the term "corn sugar" I immediately think, "how sweet could that possibly be?" AND, the level of fructose?? Please. If the average consumer even knew what fructose was, they wouldn't have had to change the name in the first place! Good morning. I'm angry.
                      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Obviously we have been making progress here or they wouldn't be resorting to such nonsense. I like to take my small victories where I see them.

Comment

"Rebranding" is the last refuge of a scoundrel...Blackwater became Xe.

Comment

but, but, but HFCS is a nasty chemical, but sugar is all natural so better for me... right?

/sarcasm

Comment

I kind of like the idea in the sense that any attention drawn to the subject is probably good attention overall. I think more and more people will start to wonder what's going on between all of the products dropping HCFS along with the corn industries commercials saying its exactly the same as sugar (seriously, how are they allowed to flat out lie like that?)

Just the fact that it's a large enough issue to have a commercial on tv will get people looking into it further I would think. Maybe along the way they'll start to discover more than just HCFS vs sugar and learn more about the negative effects of sugar. We can all hope

Comment

Working...
                              X