Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Indian Food Paleo?

I've been trying to figure this out, but I just can't seem to find it. Is Indian food (aside from naan, lentils, and rice) from any average restaurant paleo?

I'm really craving something spicy and delicious from an Indian restaurant!

Thanks!

Restaurant food is almost guaranteed to be cooked in nasty oils (although Indian places do seem better about using ghee). Other than that, most curries are pretty primal. Rice is served on the side, so you can just avoid it.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

There is some use of sugars (palm sugar and tamarind pulp) and some dishes use a lot of almond meal (high in O6) but they're mostly pretty good. I find a lot of Indian restaurant dishes are all sauce and little meat, very unlike what I've had in India or the recipes I have. I tend to avoid those places as lack of authenticity = greater risk of non-primal fats etc
      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

A decent Indian resto in my town says they have nothing gluten free.
        Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
        ~Borges

Comment

I'm in the middle of a 2 day flare up (hopefully that's all) triggered by Indian food. Tasted good though. Probably the spices don't agree with me or some gluten in the meat.
          My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

No. But it is really good isn't it. I suppose certain dishes will work like tandoori chicken and lamb, saag, etc., Oh god I'm getting hungry now. I miss Indian food in London - now that was some grub.
            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by say_rahhh View Post
              A decent Indian resto in my town says they have nothing gluten free.
              eww...i'd stay away from that place. the owner of the indian restaurant that i like says that almost everything is gluten free. he would know, as he makes it all from scratch. i guess it just depends on the restaurant. you can try going in during a slower time and inquire about the ingredients in different dishes. if the person doesn't know, or can't find out within a reasonable time, it's unlikely you want to eat there.
              my primal journal:
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

My favorite Indian place is damn close to primal. I've also learned to make a few of my favorite Indian dishes at home and they're pretty damn primal.

Comment

I am Indian, and luckily I don't miss eating Indian food too much.

I'd say the best thing to take from Indian food is the spicing: cumin, coriander, curry leaves, termeric, ginger, cardamom, fennel, hing (asafoetida), etc. Then go add them to vegetables, eggs, meat.
                  Last edited by nutritionut; 12-23-2010, 08:15 PM.

Comment

We used to eat Indian food often but not so much anymore. You have to watch out with curry if you have allergies to dairy/lactose. Some curries are coconut milk based which is fine but then again some are yogurt based which could have lactose in it. Your best bet is to make it yourself since you really aren't sure what ingredients and oil they are using.
                    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Food from different parts of India varies. It isn't that hard to make most of it. Lots of paleo curry recipes. Haven't tried them. Not my favorite cuisine.
                      Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I tend to eat the tandoori mixed grill - loads of meats / chicken, cooked in the tandoor with loads of onions and a great big salad. I'm sure the oils are omega 6 laden - but a piece of salmon the next day makes me feel easy about that. It's just the source of the chicken that I worry about - and the worry goes after the 2cnd glass of wine!

Comment

Till the time you stick to tandoori, mixed grill platter and kebabs you shall do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by nutritionut View Post
                            I am Indian, and luckily I don't miss eating Indian food too much.

I'd say the best thing to take from Indian food is the spicing: cumin, coriander, curry leaves, termeric, ginger, cardamom, fennel, hing (asafoetida), etc. Then go add them to vegetables, eggs, meat.
                            I'm Indian too and don't miss Indian food, only thing, I stay in India. I prefer to eat protein, veggies, fat and less carbs. Spicy food is not good for my stomach. Forces me to be creative. And I live in a veg household. Go figure.

Comment

Indian food's my favorite! I happen to be in London and it's brilliant. It's definitely in my 20%.

If you eat dairy, you have more options. Most thick sauces have either yogurt or coconut milk. True, there may be sketchy oils, but you can tell usually when they've used ghee...it tastes better! Sometimes flour is used to thicken sauces though...I would ask, using the pretense you have a gluten allergy.

If you skip the rice but have a somewhat spicy dish, PLEASE try to get a plate of starchier veggies (or at least cauliflower). You need something to counteract the spice. My stomach never forgave me last time I tried to just eat the curry. Plus, if you don't have anything to soak up the sauce, you'll kind of look silly. Most of the sauces taste much better against rice or veggies than spooned up.

A little white rice shouldn't hurt you though, if you're open to eating it some.

However...I am sort of a naan whore, and that wheat hasn't lost all appeal to me. If I go to my fav places that are known for their naan, I usually get some. I only eat half an order though--those suckers are huge!

Comment

Working...
                              X