Epiphany of Evil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphany of Evil

I had a friend who is a general practitioner doctor over for dinner last night and got into a great discussion about diet and health. He has done a lot of reading on various diet approaches, including low carb and is pretty much in our camp.

One of the things he said confirm the conspiracy theorist in me. The logic goes like this: The only entities that have the money to really put into research are the phamaceutical companies. They get to figure out what questions they want to answer. Often their science is well done, but directed to narrow ends. Then the research (funded by big pharma) is used to set treatment guidelines, which, low and behold typically recommend drugs. These are the guidelines that get adopted by the government. If a doctor doesn't follow the guidelines (for example doesn't prescribe statins for a high cholesterol patient) and the patients health goes sideways, then the doctor is left wide open for a malpractice suit.

No wonder conventional wisdom is so hard to break down.

One Delta Ten Tango, over and out

Funny those who say they are acting to improve the quality of life, those who say they want people to live healthfully, are unaware of how evil they're being by setting up not only the parameters, but by forcing the most profitable conclusion. Incidentally "live" backwards is "evil." I think big-pharma shouldn't live because they're evil.
    Kane's Eye View

Primal Kane

Comment

And they own the FDA too. Most of the honchos there were once pharma execs. Which is why I don't trust the FDA to look out for my health either.
      Starting Weight: 197.5
      Current Weight: 123
      Far healthier!

Comment

For some reason, organizations that are funded with money that's been forcefully extracted from innocent people tend to be bad. I have no idea why this could be.
        The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

Originally posted by janie View Post
          And they own the FDA too. Most of the honchos there were once pharma execs. Which is why I don't trust the FDA to look out for my health either.
          +1

Revolving door between big pharma execs and FDA. Traitorous.
          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by janie View Post
            Hadn't thought about the revolving door. Makes sense. Doesn't make me feel any better.

Comment

I read a pretty scary book put out by LifeExtension entitled:

FDA: Failure, Deception, Abuse
              The Story of an Out-of-Control Government Agency and What It means For Your Health

I love those people at LifeExtension; they are always swimming against the tide of CW.
              Starting Weight: 197.5
              Current Weight: 123
              Far healthier!

Comment

It's too depressing for words.

Comment

The problem there is no money in healthy people. The money is only in curing diseases not teaching people how to avoid these diseases. Where is the profit in that??

Of course this is the model that large hospital systems are needing to move to as the current system can not and will not support its own weight. There is an interesting article out there called "The Third Bubble". More Hospital Systems will be transforming into "Accountable Care Organizations" in the future.
                  Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

having worked in a pharmaceutical company once I am thoroughly disillusioned with that club. One pharmacist working at that company told me that they run these double blind studies not only because they are required to by law, but also because it helps them to determine the quantity patients can ingest without suffering side effects. Their dosage will then be close to that level regardless of whether a smaller dosage would have gotten the same results. More of the active ingredient = justification for higher price.

Having heard this I am taking only half of the recommended dosage and still get the same results....however, I don't have to take regular medication

Comment

Originally posted by MightyAl View Post
                      The problem there is no money in healthy people. The money is only in curing diseases not teaching people how to avoid these diseases. Where is the profit in that??
                      I think it's worse than that. Conventional medicine is for the most part interested only in treating SYMPTOMS. If the underlying condition is never addressed, the symptoms continue to need treatment -- at a price, of course. Profit motive is literally killing us. My question is: Do enough of us wake up early enough to prevent mass extinction/health enslavement? Rising health care expenditures are unsustainable into the future, yet more and more of us getting sicker and sicker. Where I live in NC, new Duke satellite medical facilities are cropping up all over the place like mushrooms. Pretty frightening, actually.

You said it: There is no money in healthy people. Think about it: In a society where money is EVERYTHING, where the stock share price is the only indicator of any company's worth to society, a healthy populace becomes a liability. Food companies, Big Pharma, HMO's, etc., etc. -- none of them can turn a profit for their shareholders if they promote a healthy lifestyle. They only make money when we eat crap that makes us sick so we need drugs and medical services. So we get grocery stores full of crap non-food, and when we get sick (not IF, but WHEN) the only "treatment" we are offered is a pill prescribed during a co-paid visit to our "doctors." Our "doctors" have become nothing more than paid shills for the pharmaceutical companies, who also own our medical schools and the government agencies responsible for the public welfare. Talk about medical qauckery!

No one wants us healthy. They want us sick enough to continue consuming whatever it is they want to sell us. If some of us die, who cares? There's another 7 billion or so of us to continue targeting and abusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaohinon View Post
                        For some reason, organizations that are funded with money that's been forcefully extracted from innocent people tend to be bad. I have no idea why this could be.
                        Uh-oh, looks like somebody doesn't understand capitalism!

Comment

Much like the Monsanto/FDA/USDA revolving door.

http://www.smart-publications.com/ar...est-interests/

just one of and endless rabbit hole of sites that expose this
                          Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                            Uh-oh, looks like somebody doesn't understand capitalism!
                            Or we're all starting to understand it entirely too well...

Comment

follow the money...

Comment

Working...
                              X