Ad Widget

Collapse

Been primal for two months, my cholesterol total is 400...WHAT?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to rebump an old topic...but I'm really having some anxiety over this. I've read all the suggested materials and the science behind it but the thing is my cholesterol has actually gone up now to 435 (triglycerides are still low) my doctor is basically suggesting statins as if it were a life/death thing and my poor mother is about to give herself a heart attack over it. I don't want to worry and I FEEL fine... but 400+ is insanely high... I've never even heard of anyone else with numbers that high. And I'm kind of scared. I don't want to get on statins but my doctor is strongly recommending it.

Comment

Go see if you can find any proof that high LDL numbers (as long as triglycerides are low and LDL is large & fluffy, not small and dense) correlates to heart attack, heart disease, or death overall by any cause.

Good luck with that!

How are you doing in fighting the battle against sweets & grains?
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Have you read Griff's cholesterol primer? There are a lot of replies in that thread. I'm sure that there are some with numbers comparable to yours.

Comment

One other thing to look at, have you had your thyroid numbers tested? I had unusually high cholesterol numbers (worked crazy hard trying to get them under control with diet), and when I finally saw a naturopathic MD, he ran some detailed thyroid tests. I have hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and am hypothyroid. High cholesterol is actually a common symptom. I'm now on medication (though looking into natural thyroid options), and eating primal, and it seems to be helping.

Comment

Thanks you guys for the replies... I hope I don't sound whiny but I'm kind of freaked out. Aside from the cholesterol, being Primal has been great! Giving up grains and sugars was easy once I discovered how many amazing things you can make with avocados and eggs... but then when my numbers came back I cut back on eggs and a lot of red meat and was therefore starving all the time so I started to slip back into eating grains. Its kind of frustrating... I do realize that I hadn't had my cholesterol taken for a few years prior to going primal...so it might not even be all those eggs causing it!
            Last edited by Arcy; 02-14-2011, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Arcy, if you go back to grain they may cause the triglycerides to go from good to bad. Do you know if your LDL is the large, fluffy kind?
              Those with hereditary high cholesterol usually are on statins. But I think some live a perfectly normal life with high hereditary cholesterol with no incidence of heart attack etc. We see people having heart attack with high and low cholesterol levels.
              I would definitely reduce some of your fat in diet. Go to the Heart Scan Blog for some more info.
              http://www.heartscanblog.org/
              http://www.heartscanblog.org/search/label/Cholesterol
              http://www.heartscanblog.org/2010/02...large-ldl.html
              http://www.heartscanblog.org/search/...Statin%20drugs
              Last edited by Sue; 02-14-2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I've been eating a controlled carb lifestyle for a few years. I wanted to get a subfraction lipoprotein profile but it isn't offered where I am. Canadian mmol/L American conversion mg/dL.

Cholesterol - 4.01 mmol/L (156.39 mg/dL)
                Triglycerides - 0.28 mmol/L (24.92 mg/dL)
                HDL - 2.28 mmol/L (88.92 mg/dL)
                LDL - 1.61 mmol/L (62.79 mg/dL)
                Cholesterol/HDL Ratio - 2

Comment

Just want to check - are you sure you were fasting before your test? Every now and then people forget and have coffee with cream or a little breakfast. It can really alter your results.
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I really like this summary - it's an easy read and well written. http://thehealthyskeptic.org/the-mos...ut-cholesterol

Comment

Was that increase to 435 after you had let grains slip back into your diet?
                      Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Meghan, I think he did all primal and it jumped to 400.

Comment

Arcy I do know of someone who was eating a healthy low carb diet <40g digestible and her cholesterol had gone up quite high. I don't remember what she called it but her issue is genetic. She was advised to take meds and they have been correcting the problem.

I am not recommending or in favor of meds in general but sometimes they are beneficial.

Comment

Arcy eating cholesterol doesn't typically raise cholesterol. It could be different if cholesterol issues are genetically based. The liver uses saturated fat to make cholesterol. I was surprised to hear Dr Oz even say eggs don't raise cholesterol and to eat coconut oil. Slowly he is coming around.

Comment

Dr Harris has a post on FH and statins.
                              Www.paleonu.com

Comment

This post should be required reading for anyone entering the site...
                                The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                                Blog
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X