Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary Taubes recommends 2 cups of Bouillon per day for electrolyte imbalance. I drink at least one per day. It works, and no added sugar.
    This idea actually came from Atkins originally.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-07-2011, 07:12 AM. Reason: added info
    1/11/18 We have moved! Join us at primalforums.com

Comment

I wonder what the difference is between bouillon and more delicious sea salt on everything else I eat. Man, once you start eating a completely different diet, it's funny how many little nutrition adjustments and habits you have to make that no one else around you does. I'm SO glad we have these forums.

Comment

I'm curious about this too. I seem to be prone to muscle cramps after intense exercise. Three of my sports ( motorcycle road racing, motocross, and rock climbing) take a pretty hard toll on muscles and electrolyte levels. In Florida, I couldn't seem to ward off muscle cramps at the end of a long day of racing. 95* + head to toe in leather makes for a lot of fluid loss. I experimented with dosages of Endurolytes and fluid intake, without luck.

I've noticed that even on cooler (very little sweat) of rock climbing, if the difficulty is intense, I will cramp up later on. The main one is having a bent arm lock up and require the other arm to straighten it out. It makes taking a shower pretty difficult!

Any suggestions? I add sea salt to a lot of food already.

Comment

During that health debate Fuhrman was talking about "Salt the insiduous killer" and reckons if just eating vegetables etc you are already getting magnesium, potassium and sodium in correct amounts and don't have to add salt to your food. I really don't agree.

Comment

I had cramp in my legs at night when I first started out going primal. Am a week into whole30 and had them again last night. So I guess that is electrolytes getting messed up by the water loss (7lbs off so far). I use salt as and when I feel I want it, do you think it is potassium? Any advice as to what to do welcome. If I just sit it out will it go away soon or do I need to take action? Need to stay whole30 compliant, mine includes no fruit as well.
            Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
            Harold Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Horsewoman View Post
              I had cramp in my legs at night when I first started out going primal. Am a week into whole30 and had them again last night. So I guess that is electrolytes getting messed up by the water loss (7lbs off so far). I use salt as and when I feel I want it, do you think it is potassium? Any advice as to what to do welcome. If I just sit it out will it go away soon or do I need to take action? Need to stay whole30 compliant, mine includes no fruit as well.
              I'm not an expert on this - I started this thread looking for answers. But my first suspicion when I had problems was potassium because of what I read on the internet about losing water weight. But then I looked at lists of potassium-rich food and I was like, I eat tons of that stuff. And even after that I ate two bananas a day for two days. Didn't change my heart palpitations. My gut says that when you eat primal, it's probably hard to be low on potassium. Salt and perhaps magnesium on the other hand is another case. I'm still learning about the magnesium thing. I know I felt better after adding more salt to my diet.

Comment

Originally posted by MaloryVon View Post
                I'm not an expert on this - I started this thread looking for answers. But my first suspicion when I had problems was potassium because of what I read on the internet about losing water weight. But then I looked at lists of potassium-rich food and I was like, I eat tons of that stuff. And even after that I ate two bananas a day for two days. Didn't change my heart palpitations. My gut says that when you eat primal, it's probably hard to be low on potassium. Salt and perhaps magnesium on the other hand is another case. I'm still learning about the magnesium thing. I know I felt better after adding more salt to my diet.
                Maybe it's just a temporary blip as I'm a week into whole30. Have lost a ton of fluid, my neck and chin felt cold today on the way to school as my jowls have suddenly disappeared!
                Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                Harold Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post
                  I am continually amazed at the number of people that come to this forum with potentially serious symptoms and ask for advice. You may have self diagnosed correctly, if the next sprint puts you into tachycardia let's hope it's not deadly.
                  I'm not because if you are someone who has had a lot of experience with doctors, you pretty much lose faith in them unless your experiences have been good ones.
                  On the electrolytes...Glaceau Smartwater them in it without all the sugar of a sports drink. The ingredients are vapor distilled water, calcium chloride and magnesium chloride and potassium bicarbonate with electrolytes added for taste.

Comment

Ah! Now I can't make fun of Smartwater being stupid and pointless anymore.

Comment

This is a weird question but could it cause bouts of hiccups as well? Since that's a spasm of the diaphragm I wondered. Had hiccups 4 times in the last few days since I started whole30!

Harold Whitman

Comment

Sounds good.. you did a great job..Just keep it up and be well totally..
                        Download FREE 3 Day Crash Course
                        The Golden Rules You Must Follow to Sweat Normally | how to stop sweating | armpit sweating

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experiences on this thread. I have been going through palpitations after giving up sugar in my diet (my weakness - love cakes, desserts, figs etc) and reducing carbs and now I am on pretty much a Paleo diet.
                          When the palpitations started about 7 or 8 weeks ago they came from nowhere and got really intense. Went to the doctor and had ECG and they tested my blood for electrolyte balance and couldn't find anything. Found that acupuncture really helped, but still getting them - some days hardly at all and some days quite frequent. Been trying to fix the pieces of the jigsaw together and working out what is triggering them and now increasing salt with my meals since yesterday.

What I am now wondering is how do I work out if its too little or too much sodium/potassium/magnesium?

Thank you all once again for sharing your experiences.
                          Kindest regards,
                          Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Tony_G View Post
                            What I am now wondering is how do I work out if its too little or too much sodium/potassium/magnesium?
                            Sodium tends to take care of itself, or that's been my experience. On some days if you just feel like eating salty foods, go for it. On others, when even a sprinkle tastes like too much, ease off.

I had palpitations and random muscle cramping for a while, but they went away after I upped potassium (I increased my intake purely through foods like white/sweet potatoes, bananas, beet greens, chard, spinach, durian, etc).

A few months later some minor cramping returned, but went away after I upped magnesium in response (for magnesium I took supplements, mostly magnesium citrate and magnesium malate, gradually upping the dose from about 200mg to 600mg per day).

Anyway, it's really doubtful that anybody is getting too much of either potassium or magnesium purely from diet. Even with supplements, it's hard to OD to the point of causing negative effects. With magnesium the usual indication that you're taking too much is diarrhea, so that's an easy thing to watch out for.

If I were you I'd start by eating more potassium-rich foods and supplementing 400-600mg of magnesium per day (most forms are okay, just avoid magnesium oxide since the general consensus is that oxide is the least bioavailable), and see what happens.

Comment

My blood sodium and chloride are both low (below the normal range) on lab tests. I have been primal for 2 years. My doc is concerned. I tried to tell her it was my diet but she does not put much stock in that. Doc thinks it is my BP meds.

To be fair one of those meds is a diuretic that makes me lose water, so likely a combo of that and diet. But I can't help wondering, are my sodium and chloride levels actually "normal", for this kind of diet? Guess we are unlikely ever to know. But normal lab values are just an average of many many results, from what I understand. Meanwhile doc is going to do some additional tests to rule out anything serious, and is weaning me off the diuretic. I feel great and seem to have no untoward symptoms, other than having to pee a whole lot.

Also, I do eat a whole lot of added Real Salt from shaker on my food, as I began to crave it after starting primal. No processed foods in my diet. Previously I was whole-foods vegan and used NO added salt, yet my blood levels were normal. I have been on the diuretic for years including while vegan.
                              Last edited by bilbo2; 05-01-2015, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X