Ad Widget

Collapse

Confused on some of the foods... Isn't Bacon, Bacon?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused on some of the foods... Isn't Bacon, Bacon?

Ok, so I have spent the better part of the day trying to figure out this Primal Blueprint lifestyle and it's something that my wife and I want to do. Problem is where we live we don't have any Whole Food like places. I keep reading stuff like using Bacon. Then I see people using uncured bacon. Isn't Bacon, Bacon? I know maple bacon etc is going to have sugars but can't I just go up to the Meat counter and say give me a pound of bacon? Or is it the wrong kind? Also what about meats? Chicken, Sausages, and beef. How do you know if it's Grass fed or steroid? Also almond butter, oils etc. Is this something an Albertsons would carry or am I going to have to go drive 100 miles to a Whole Foods type store to get some of the stuff needed for this PB? It seems like this diet is built around a store like a Trader Joes or something. Am I way off base here? Is this stuff I can buy at the local grocery store like Albertsons or am I gonna have to make some long trips and stock up? Any help would be appreciated..

• earthspirit
    replied
    Most meats come labeled antibiotic free or not, and a lot of places have smaller grocers and marketplaces where you can buy your supplies. For example, we have a trader joes but i hate the kind of people that shop there around here, we have a costco but i dont buy food there either. most of what i buy is from my small neighborhood grocer (called tops superfoods) who supplies local antibiotic free meats, produce, lots of specialty gluten free items as well as all the usual garbage u will find in a big box store.

Leave a comment:

• zoebird
    replied
    sounds like it's going pretty well for you already.

i don't take any supplements myself, but we use cod liver oil (DH and DS), and yeah. up to you if you want supplements.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Bork Bork
    replied
    Oscar Mayer & Hormel both make uncured bacon. Both should be easily located at your local grocery store.

Leave a comment:

• flgatorfan
    replied
    Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty Eighty Twenty

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by lacofdfireman View Post
    One last questions. Is there any supplements that I should go pick up before I start? Multivitamin or anything recommended?

The more common suppliments I see suggested here are: (whether you need these or not is up to you. I am just listing the ones I see)

Vit D - especially if you do not get much sun. The amount I've seen suggested varies from 2000-10000. The bottle I bought says to take 1000.
    Fish oil - to help with Omega 3/6 ratios since non-grassfed meat has more Omega 6. This can be offset if you just eat fish.
    Multi - sure, if you like but not necessary if eating a balanced diet.

Leave a comment:

• lacofdfireman
    replied
    Really glad I posted this question because as I was researching last night I was totally pumped then I kinda had the wind knocked out of my sail so to speak wondering where I am going to find all this Organic stuff... I work in a Metropolitan area that does have a TJ that I can use when I get off work and just bring it home. Didn't even realize it was there... Guess I never noticed it because it was behind the McDonalds.. lol... Sad.. So I did stop there on my way home from work today and picked up some Uncured beef, a few different kinds of Chicken Sausage, some Vegie's nuts etc. This Organic stuff aint cheap... lol.. But after reading above posts I won't concern myself with being 100% Organic.. I will buy what I can afford as I can but will stick to just buying Meats, Veggies, Nuts and Friuit and getting rid of the grains. I have a little challenge at the Fire Station on meals but I might just have to tell the boys to start cooking cleaner.. No problem on my cook shift.. Actually them cook pretty clean anyways for the most part. I will miss Chicken Fried Steak night though... That will pass though. Thanks again for all the help.

One last questions. Is there any supplements that I should go pick up before I start? Multivitamin or anything recommended?

Leave a comment:

• zoebird
    replied
    i'm with runnergal on this one.

Start with just cutting grains and legumes. get into the habit of just eating meat, vegetables, and some fruit. it will make a huge difference.

Once you are comfortable with that, then you can look at specific sourcing.

Leave a comment:

• jenni
    replied
    I live smack in the middle of nowhere and can tell you that it's damn near impossible to find anything organic or grass-fed around here. I just do the best I can and I'm still looking for sources. I don't stress over it too much though since I'm eating 100% better than I was before primal. I do grow veggies in the summer and am able to can, freeze, and store a lot to get us through, but I buy whatever bacon is available and don't worry about it

I sometimes envy those who have access to more enlightened stores, but then I remember why I choose to live out here and I'm glad we don't have the mega-marts and all the traffic that goes with it. I look at it this way, I breath cleaner air.lol

Leave a comment:

• primaltreehgr
    replied
    Originally posted by ilikesubtitles View Post
    It sounds like you might live really far from a major metropolitan area--so why don't you go straight to the source? Farms could be abundant where you live and if you buy in bulk you could get a great price on meats etc.

great idea!!!

Leave a comment:

• runnergal
    replied
    Honestly all I would worry about for the first month is eat meat, veggies, some fruit and nuts. Eliminate grains, legumes, sugars and highly processed foods. Don't worry about grassfed/organic/omegathis/that. If you are already a big veggie eater, no worries, if you arent start with veggies you like and each week try to add a couple new ones.

MANY of the "specialty foods" are carried at standard grocery stores, but it depends on where you live (Oregon...almost every store, Indiana....not so much). While you are in the "dont worry about the details" phase start to explore the stores you do have and see what is available. It's a good time to look into CSA's which is a way to get local farm fresh usually uncertified but organic produce (most are taking subscriptions now). Find out about other resources in your area (farmer's markets, road stands, family farms.) You might be surprised. I was surprised to learn one of the largest suppliers of pastured pork in Oregon is about 4 miles from my home.

Leave a comment:

• lunadam
    replied
    Kris C has it right. It took me quite a long time to get all my resources set up to get the types of meat that I want. Do your best and stay on top of the research to find the best quality meat but realize that any steps you are taking towards Primal are the right steps.

Leave a comment:

• primalrob
    replied
    eating foods that are organic, grass fed, cage free, etc. is the ideal. don't worry too much if you can't find or afford some of that stuff. just following the PB in terms of focusing on veggies and meat, and cutting out grains and sugar, will make you miles healthier than someone eating the standard american diet (SAD). those rarer, more expensive meats are better in terms of overall health, omega ratios and things like that, but if you stress about them then you are missing the bigger picture of the PB.
    hooking up with a local farmer would definitely be the best, but you can also order plenty of good food online at places like U.S. Wellness Meats or Texas Grassfed Steaks.
    if you can't get the grass fed meats, try sticking with leaner cuts or trimming the fat (that's where the bad stuff is mostly) and you'll still be doing fine. this is what the 20% is all about...it's not about cheat meals, it's about aiming for a 100% and knowing it's okay if you don't quite make it.

bacon...i say just eat whatever, just don't eat a ton of it. we're definitely bacon pushers here, but it's kind of not serious.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Like others have said, do the best you can. I do not generally eat grass-fed meat. The only place I can get it is the farmer's marker. That worked great when I had W/Th off work since they are only open on Thurs for 4 hours. Now, there is no way. Same with bacon. One grocery store sells the nitrate free. If I go there, great. If not I eat 'regular' bacon.

Produce - organic...nope. I've found that there are very few produce items that I can tell the difference. Am I ingesting a ton of pesticide? Perhaps, but I wash the dang things and ate them for 35 years without dying so I'll take my chances. I recall seeing somewhere (I think it was Penn and Teller's Bullsh*t) where a lot of organic produce comes from China. Yeah, I trust that it's organic - not.

So sure, if you have access to farms, farm fresh produce, and all that then go for it. The more natural and unprocessed the better. If not do the best you can. I'm far healthier now I eat store bought meat, veggies, and butter than I was eating fast food and processed crap.

Leave a comment:

• Kris C
    replied
    I'm new to this myself but wanted to chime in. I am not always able to get the good organic foods here where I live either (that will change soon with an upcoming move). I decided, like the above poster mentioned, to just do what I could to get started and focus on learning more. As I get more settled in and understand this Way Of Life/Eating better I will make changes. I don't do coconut oil or milk because I really cannot stand coconuts, even when super fresh from the tree (yes, I lived in a place where we could just get them from the tree; a real PITA to open though). I do cheese and nuts, others do not. My way to thinking is I am doing the best I can FOR ME RIGHT NOW. As time goes on I will learn to bake with almond flower and tolerate honey as a sweetener. (For now, avoiding anything sweet except super dark chocolate as I really don't like the taste of honey.)

Don't set yourself up for failure trying to be perfect. As Mark says, go 80/20. By not being perfect, I have lost fat, lost inches, gained a better night's sleep, gotten a bit stronger, played more and just generally felt more healthy than I ever had before. And it's only been 22 days!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X