Ad Widget

Collapse

Blood Work Results - just what I expected and I'm really pleased!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Work Results - just what I expected and I'm really pleased!

Just had my cholesterol checked for the first time since going primal and my Doctor, as expected, is freaking out because of the hike in my numbers. He immediately has recommended statins. No thanks!

Here are the numbers:
    Total: 298
    Trig: 28
    HDL: 79
    LDL: 213

I read up on Griff's Cholesterol Primer and ran the numbers and realized that they used the Friedewald formula which shoots up my LDL because of the low Trig count. I used the Iranian Equation and got this:

Total: 298
    Trig: 28
    HDL: 79
    LDL: 155

That's better by 58 points!

However, I also know that the ratios are what's a more important indicator one's cardiovascular health. Here are mine - the first ratio is using the Iranian equation LDL and the second ratio is using the Friedewald formula LDL:

Total/HDL: 3.77 with both (Ideal = 5 or below). This indicates Pattern A (fluffy) LDL particles
    Trig/HDL: .35 with both (Ideal = 2 or below). This can indicate low free insulin levels.
    LDL/HDL: 1.96 or 2.70 (Ideal = 4.3 or below). This idicates low plaque build-up. I'm fine either formula.

All of that is to say that I'm not worried because my numbers are great! However, I did have a VAP test done yesterday and am waiting on that to confirm the "Pattern A" LDL particles. These numbers were just from normal blood work done with a physical.

My advice: When you get these tests done and freak out at the high numbers because of residual CW - take a breath and do the math. I bet you'll find you're doing awesome and are in better shape then most in this area.

Grok on!
    Strength and Honor
Working...
X