Ad Widget

Collapse

LDLC of 8.9 mmol/L. Should I be concerned?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LDLC of 8.9 mmol/L. Should I be concerned?

    Hello everyone.

    I've been doing low-carb/paleo for about a year, although not consistently until about 6 months ago.

    I eat lots of meat, some vegetables, and lots of saturated/mono fats (coconut, butter, olive oil, duck fat, etc.) and recently incorporated intermittent fasting into my routine, which was actually surprisingly effective. I also eat a ton of eggs, anywhere from 3 to 6 per day. I do not eat PUFAs unless I'm at a social event and don't really have a choice (besides not eating anything).

    To be honest, I feel terrific. Energy levels, mood, libido all working well with no complaints. And I'm actually able to fit back into my old clothes which had been getting a bit tight.

    However, at the behest of my family, I recently got my cholestoral levels checked and the LDLC came back at a whopping 8.9 mmol/L, well above the normal limit of 3.5. I have no idea if this is the "fluffy" type of LDL or small "bullet" type. HDLC at 1.35 mmol/L.

    Do I have reason to be concerned?

  • #2
    In addition to the numerous similar threads on this forum (going back years), yours is the 3rd thread this week with another case of high LDL-C following primal/paleo diet of lots of meat, saturated fats and eggs. In the other 2 cases, they did the advanced lipid tests for their ApoB or LDL-P which showed high levels indicating high risk, and their LDL-C was lower than yours. Converter shows your LDL-C of 8.9mmol/l=344mg/dl which is seriously high. So yeah, chances are that your ApoB or LDL-P are likely high as well, and this is considered a more reliable indicator for risk of cardiovascular disease than LDL-C. Get the advanced test done if you want to be certain.

    https://www.nhfcpepicentre.org/Porta...id_profile.pdf
    ""Your LDL-P is the most important part of the NMR LipoProfile report. The lower this number is, the less risk you face"
    ......... "Patients are at the lowest risk when both their LDL-P number and their Small LDL-P number are low."


    If I were you, I'd take this seriously and reconsider the diet by reducing the amount of saturated fats, meat and eggs in your diet. My LDL-C went up to 203mg/dl (~5.3mmol/l) and I dropped it to 109 mg/dl (2.8mmol/l) by getting off paleo/primal style diet based heavily on meats, eggs and fats and eating much less of these foods. I also started eating non-paleo foods like beans, lentils, potatoes, whole grains, fruits and even some sweets. Now, all my health markers and lab tests are in the normal range and/or better than before.

    If you believe your diet is healthy, your lab tests should reflect that as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't.
    *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (January 2015) * Current Wt - 113 lbs (November 2016)
    *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
    *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for your take KimLean.

      I'm guessing you're on this forum as a critic of the Paleo diet and to dissuade others from adopting it?

      Which is fine, by the way. It's always good to get different views and opinions.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by paleoii View Post
        Thanks for your take KimLean.

        I'm guessing you're on this forum as a critic of the Paleo diet and to dissuade others from adopting it?

        Which is fine, by the way. It's always good to get different views and opinions.
        Originally posted by paleoii View Post
        Thanks for your take KimLean.

        I'm guessing you're on this forum as a critic of the Paleo diet and to dissuade others from adopting it?

        Which is fine, by the way. It's always good to get different views and opinions.
        It is the impression I get from numerous similar posts.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by paleoii View Post
          Thanks for your take KimLean.

          I'm guessing you're on this forum as a critic of the Paleo diet and to dissuade others from adopting it?

          Which is fine, by the way. It's always good to get different views and opinions.
          I would describe Kim as being pro-health as opposed to anti-Paleo. What action, if any, do you suggest OP take to reduce cholesterol?

          Comment


          • #6
            I would read "feeling terrific" as the best health marker of all.
            My first journal - http://forum.marksdailyapple.com/for...mal-highlights

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by breadsauce View Post



              It is the impression I get from numerous similar posts.
              Yup

              Comment


              • #8
                My recommendation would be DO NOT put all your stock in cholesterol levels, even advanced panels. They tell you little and give zero data that is actionable. Steps taken JUST to lower cholesterol are useless at best and usually quite harmful.

                Physical exam, thyroid, glucose tolerance, and adrenal assessment would be of much greater use in producing a plan to improve health.

                Lastly, if you are going to evaluate cholesterol you can't rely on a single test anyhow. Much like blood pressure (need 3 high reading at 3 different times to dx hypertension) you need to see consistent irregular readings since there is huge day to day swings in cholesterol and it is effected by everything from inflammation to magnesium deficiency.

                Last edited by Neckhammer; 02-02-2017, 11:11 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by paleoii View Post
                  Thanks for your take KimLean.

                  I'm guessing you're on this forum as a critic of the Paleo diet and to dissuade others from adopting it?

                  Which is fine, by the way. It's always good to get different views and opinions.
                  Lots of people do just fine on paleo and have normal lab tests to prove it. Others...not so much. If it's resulting in worsening lab tests, it seems logical to me to critique whatever diet one's on and modify it based on their individual response and needs.
                  *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (January 2015) * Current Wt - 113 lbs (November 2016)
                  *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
                  *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Artbuc View Post

                    I would describe Kim as being pro-health as opposed to anti-Paleo. What action, if any, do you suggest OP take to reduce cholesterol?
                    Thanks Artbuc !
                    *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (January 2015) * Current Wt - 113 lbs (November 2016)
                    *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
                    *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here's a discussion of just this issue by Thomas Dayspring, MD who is a researcher and clinical lipidologist (i.e. Not just some guy on the internet!!). You can skip down to page 12 for a summary and his recommendations:

                      https://www.lecturepad.org/dayspring...icsCase291.pdf

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        My recommendation would be DO NOT put all your stock in cholesterol levels, even advanced panels. They tell you little and give zero data that is actionable. Steps taken JUST to lower cholesterol are useless at best and usually quite harmful.

                        Physical exam, thyroid, glucose tolerance, and adrenal assessment would be of much greater use in producing a plan to improve health.

                        Lastly, if you are going to evaluate cholesterol you can't rely on a single test anyhow. Much like blood pressure (need 3 high reading at 3 different times to dx hypertension) you need to see consistent irregular readings since there is huge day to day swings in cholesterol and it is effected by everything from inflammation to magnesium deficiency.
                        My cholesterol numbers have always been high. I am in the highest risk category. I believe my first tests were done back in the seventies. Over the years my numbers got progressively higher which is expected as part of the aging process. The only aberration came as a result of my primal experiment with super high saturated fat consumption. Numbers came back to baseline when I dropped the high SF. Many post that cholesterol numbers vary widely and no one should rely on a single test. My numbers have always been right on my curve.

                        Neckhammer, what do you think causes plaque accumulation and, more important, why does it rupture? You do not believe high cholesterol causes CVD but something does because it is the leading cause of death. Why do people with Familial Hypercholesterolemia have early heart attacks?
                        Last edited by Artbuc; 02-03-2017, 02:38 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JBean View Post
                          Here's a discussion of just this issue by Thomas Dayspring, MD who is a researcher and clinical lipidologist (i.e. Not just some guy on the internet!!). You can skip down to page 12 for a summary and his recommendations:

                          https://www.lecturepad.org/dayspring...icsCase291.pdf
                          Is that Dayspring talking in the second paragraph saying his thinking was radically changed by the "famed" author Taubes and NuSI cofounder Attia? So much for Dayspring's credibility.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Since 1960 our societies mean cholesterol has been dropping in part due to the statanizing of America

                            https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5450a8.htm

                            So I ask you.....are we healthier for it?

                            More CVD...

                            https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/cvd/fig1.gif

                            Higher death rates in women with lower cholesterol

                            http://www.theobesityepidemic.org/wp...4CVDfemale.png

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              Since 1960 our societies mean cholesterol has been dropping in part due to the statanizing of America

                              https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5450a8.htm

                              So I ask you.....are we healthier for it?

                              More CVD...

                              https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/cvd/fig1.gif

                              Higher death rates in women with lower cholesterol

                              http://www.theobesityepidemic.org/wp...4CVDfemale.png
                              I am not suggesting cholesterol causes or is even related to CVD. I am asking you for your personal opinion regarding the cause(s) of CVD and your suggestions on the best way for us to mitigate risk of dying from it.
                              Last edited by Artbuc; 02-03-2017, 09:33 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X