Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could use some ideas/inspiration 2 year anniversary

I started Paleo on february 2nd 2 years ago. Its been a great thing for me. The change really hampered my arthritis, I lost 70 lbs, and overall just felt better having dropped the SAD. Now after 2 years I am struggling to take off the remaining weight. Over the last 3 weeks i had cut my carbs back to 50 or less, walked 4 times a week, lifted twice and have been very dedicated to the plan/process.I gained weight.. The last 12 months have basically been maintenance for me. I want to lose my last 50 lbs but just can't seem to get the box open.. Any advice would be much appreciated. Negative comments are not welcomed. thanks, cap.

First off congratulations! Making this a lifestyle, as you have, makes it easy to keep the weight off and stay healthy. The vast majority of "traditional" dieters gain the weight back plus some in the time frame that you have already kept yours off for.

Its always tougher once you get near goal weight, but focus on what got you here. Remember that a bit overweight isn't the same as being unhealthy necessarily. Relax a bit. Take a caring approach rather than going to war with those last 50lbs.

Dont do all of these at the same time (except for supplementing)!....here are some ideas though.
    1. 3 day water fast reset
    2. Carb cycling
    3. Intermittent fasting
    4. High intensity interval sprints (preferably stationary bike)
    5. Supplement appropriately...especially important when stressed

Comment

this is exactly what im needing..ideas that i havent used...so, what is water fast/reset? what is carb cycling? what supplements should i be using?? good stuff and thanks

Comment

Water fast is just as it sounds, but doing it for a 72 hour period is like an immunological reset. 80% of your immune system is in the gut so among other things it helps digestion.
        Carb cycling involves 1-2 days a week to eat high carb low fat. This is suppose to help with lepton sensitivity and to keep metabolism ramped up.
        Good supplementation this time of year usually involves vitamin D, most are low in magnesium, and make sure to get enough sodium while low carb. Herbs known as "adaptogens" may also be of use.

Id recommend doing only one of these (besides the supplements) for about 4 weeks then reevaluate. I would not do the 72 hour fast more than once a month for most people, and some may have issues with doing it at all depending on how you respond to fasting.
        Last edited by Neckhammer; 02-02-2017, 05:06 PM.

Comment

ok so the water fast..basically 72 hours with nothing to drink at all or no water only??

Comment

Water fast means you ONLY drink water. As much of it as you like actually. Do not attempt to go 72 hours without water!

Comment

ok that makes sense..i can handle that..might be tough without coffee but maybe thats what is holding me back..thanks for the responses neckhammer. much obliged

Comment

Start with something simple (on paper), but not so simple in theory.. lol. Extended fast. Can be a water fast as Neckhammer suggested, or you can add some chicken broth in there to take care of a possible electrolyte problem.

You can go as long as you want fasting, as long as, there are no ill effects. I'd aim to hit 36 hours first; if you hit 36 easily, aim for 48. If 48 works and you're feeling great, mine as well go to 72. What you have to watch for is the feeling of getting cold easily, or your hands and feet starting to cool down or get cold easily. That means your resting energy expenditure is dropping rapidly, which is exactly what you don't want. If this happens, stop the fasting, eat a pile of that day (maybe over a course of 4-8 hours), then attempt the fast again. Part of the problem with fasting is, people generally may not eat enough at the times they are actually eating. If they do this then start fasting, you're starting to fast from a compromised state so to speak. You want to start fasting with your metabolism high, not low'ish. To get the metabolism up, eat a pile of food .

The idea behind the fasting is to lower the insulin levels allowing your body to bust into it's fat reserves for energy. This is really only achieved through fasting. Even going primal or straight keto can keep the insulin semi-elevated keeping the lock loosely on the fat reserves.

I did a 36 hour fast recently. I'm going now for a 48, which will pit me eating at about 8pm Tuesday. Granted I'm having coffee with a bit of cream, chicken broth, and water.

Comment

west coast this is interesting to me..give me a specific 36 hour fast plan if you dont mind..i've never done more than 18 hours..this could help me..when you mentioned the cold hands etc it struck a cord.. since ive started this i have experienced that a lot..i have always attributed it to lower blood pressure.. thanks a bunch and i'm interested to read about the fast idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X