Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do carbs in fruit count too?

If I am trying to keep my carb intake between 50-100 grams per day. Does that include carbs from fruit?

I'll eat a few tangerines and an apple as a desert a lot of nights. That's like 60 grams of carbs right there.. Not to mention the sugar.. Would that explain me not losing more weight and just staying the same?

Fruits are a better source of carbs than processed carbs, but I generally avoid them myself personally apart from 1 or 2 pieces each week or so. I eat vegetables liberally though.

If you're not losing weight, I would suggest trying intermittent fasting and being in a slight caloric deficit. Whilst a great way to control hunger, in my experience, paleo/low-carb still isn't a license to gorge on food if you want to lose weight.

Comment

Fruit is fine. I think the days of everyone blaming everything on carbs are over.
      My opinions and some justification

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
        Fruit is fine. I think the days of everyone blaming everything on carbs are over.
        Elliot, have you looked at any of the studies linking Alzheimer's to insufficient glucose in the brain? I suspect someday soon we will know that ketones are not a healthy fuel for brain cells.

Comment

Originally posted by tk421 View Post
          That's like 60 grams of carbs right there.. Not to mention the sugar.. Would that explain me not losing more weight and just staying the same?
          That's not how low carb works, when it does. LC lowers appetite in many, but not all, people. They eat less and thus lose weight. If you are not eating less, you won't lose weight.
          I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
            What's the general consensus on carbs these days?

Comment

TK421 -- The answer to your original question: Yes, count the carbs in the fruit. I never counted carbs on my weight loss campaign, but believe I was around 100 most of the time just by eating the "right" foods.
              Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
              My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

Originally posted by paleoii View Post
                What's the general consensus on carbs these days?
                There is no consensus. Some people here do consider carbs unnecessary and something to be minimized. Others believe that carbs have several benefits, such as supporting a healthy microbiome and keeping the thyroid active. Mark Sisson has said and written things on both sides, though I would say it's more of the first view with occasional concessions to the second view.
                I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

Depends, well the carbs in fruit do count yes, but whether they hinder your goals is another story. It will depend how much insulin is circulating in your system. If your circulating insulin levels are elevated, then fruit isn't helping your cause to drop weight. If your insulin levels are low (like in the case after a fast), then fruit will have no adverse effects.

The consensus on carbs? There really isn't one, but I will share some interesting information I heard about a week ago on them which I'm sure will strike up a debate lol. Someone mentioned that Charles Poliquin (elite strength coach), said that unless you can see your abs, your body is using carbs efficiently. If this is the case, keep eating meat until you can see your abs. The idea is, if your body is adept at burning carbs/glucose, your insulin levels will not remain elevated leaving your fat reserves open for tapping into (hence you can see your abs). However if your body is not adept at burning carbs/glucose, your insulin levels will remain elevated longer than normal stopping your body from tapping into it's fat reserves (no abs).

This is a very broad spectrum way to look at it, but the moral of the story is, if you can see your abs, eat carbs, if you can't see your abs, don't eat carbs lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X