Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gut Sense and the fiber menace

Has anyone here got any experience of following the advice given at Gut Sense.org?
    Is fibre, like "healthy whole grains" another piece of conventional wisdom that we've been lied to about?
    The argument (and testimonies) there are compelling.

Hi dogsled. Yes fiber in the form of "healthy" whole grain, and most especially fiber supplement are vastly overrated and in many cases harmful. Fiber is better had in form of fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, bits of animal...ect. All of this does plenty to keep a healthy gut biome without overdoing it. Too much fiber slows digestion too far, creates bulking and bloating, and leads to many of the problems its erroneously used to cure.

If you want the "Primal" tm viewpoint all you need do is check out these two posts. Konstantin Monastyrsky did a guest post and Mark did a followup of his own:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dieta...t-isnt-a-myth/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fiber-gut-health/

Comment

Thanks Neck, I had searched for it but this new site format.....
      Looks like KM sure upset a few primal folk by challenging their conventional wisdom!

Comment

All testimonies are compelling. I read them for entertainment, but I read more scientific sources for actual info and facts.Being from a family harmed by
        gluten-containing grains, I now consider the source of the info before getting too excited over "whole grains" propaganda anymore. Government sources base their recommendations on the politically-plagued Big Ag and Big Pharma roots, and that has led many astray. Ever since I discovered years back that whole wheat flour was less healthy than white flour, due to the extra preservatives needed, I view "whole-grain" with a jaundiced eye.

Comment

Hi Paysan.
          The debate in question was about eating vegetables rather than grains.

Comment

Sorry that I was transfixed by "healthy whole grains". But I also am sensitive to boatloads of vegetables, especially raw. Especially fibrous. To me, vegetables rank above grains, above fruits, but below meat proteins. I make an exception for fermented veggies, as the fermentation "cooks" them and reduces their broom effect, while at the same time loading me up with pro-and pre-biotics. Some people do better with more veggies, some with less. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

I read that book online maybe nine years ago. Really interesting, even if read skeptically. A few years later my mother was suffering from diarrhea and a colonic disorder. Sorry, can't remember which one. The gastroenterologogist said, More Fiber. As did our beloved family doctor.

"Mom. Are you willing to try something regardless of what everyone is telling you?" "Anything, anything." I put her on a very low bulk (fiber) diet and in days her condition cleared.

Comment

Interesting stuff Paysan and Bayou,
                I think there may be something in this. I'm going to try low fibre for a while because despite being totally gluten free something is still wrong with my digestive system and I'm just so tired of living with the discomfort and complications. Meat, fat and supplements anybody?

Comment

Close, but don't forget the cooked vegetables along with a token raw salad. Stir fries are great for getting a variety w/o overdoing any one veggie. Nuts are a sometime treat and I make sure to chew the gristle from bones where I can. Add plain gelatin for gut soothing via hot drinks and soups .

Comment

That's conventional paleo wisdom that I'm fully aware of, thanks Paysan, but I'm exploring alternatives to deal with my own particular set of issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X