Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin A & Acne

Hi there, recently went Primal (80% vegetables, 18% animal, 2% fruits) in January and loving it! Combined with intermittent fasting, been dropping body fat like crazy. Although, I am still breaking out. Recently discovered the benefits of eating foods high in Vitamin A like sweet potatoes and carrots helps acne. I have noticed this with myself after eating some carrots consistently. I understand that over long periods of time Vitamin A becomes toxic, especially from animals (retinol) and considerably lower in vegetables (beta-carotene). Just yesterday I decided to include eating only 1 sweet potato or 1-2 cups worth of carrots in my diet. Also, I will not even consider taking a supplement.

My question is how much is too much Vitamin A? Should I be eating sweet potatoes everyday or alternating days?

Thanks!

Howdy. You basically cant OD on vitamin A from sweet potatoes and carrots because this is such a low bioavailable (conversion) form. A better source is liver.....and as long as it isn't from a polar bear you wont be overdosing on it from that either.

So if your goal is to get sufficient vitamin A eat about a pound of beef liver/month. You will get the associated nutrients in the liver which are absolutely terrific for your health. That is about the right amount of vitamin A. The amount you get from carrots and sweet potato is inconsequential so eat as much or little of those as you like.

Comment

I doubt that you are getting too much Vitamin A from foods. You'd have to be eating something like liver or fish eyeballs everyday to have a chance of ODing on food alone. Plant foods alone may not be enough because many people have low conversion rates of carotenoids to retinol.

I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

OP, you are worrying too much. Neckhammer's advice is excellent. Chicken liver is also excellent, especially for those who find beef liver too strong in flavor. I love them both.

Comment

A sweet potato a day is excellent! You would be doing yourself a great service by eating one sweet potato a day, it is highly improbable that you would overdose on Vitamin A. If it was a daily concentrated pill on top of your diet then it MIGHT be a cause for concern but still highly improbable. Congratulations on your success in managing your weight! Also remember that when you burn fat, metabolites and toxins stored within the fat are released into the bloodstream.

Comment

OP, you are worrying too much http://www.tykeanimal.com

Comment

Working...
            X