X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reddhedd
    started a topic soft food diet for broken jaw

soft food diet for broken jaw

My sister passed out a couple of weeks ago, hit the kitchen counter on her way down, and apparently broke her jaw. It's healed wrong, and she has to go on a soft diet for a few weeks. She's lost 80+ pounds on PB, and is a bit freaked out about the high carby foods on the list the doctor gave her. Any suggestions for filling foods that will help her heal, keep up with three active young sons and keep kosher?
    Last edited by reddhedd; 02-28-2017, 12:03 PM.

• Lhotse
    replied
    Make some chia seed pudding with coconut milk and blended fruit. You can even add a scoop of your favorite protein.

Leave a comment:

• OnTheBayou
    replied
    Originally posted by Paysan View Post
    Gelatin should be viewed as a supplement, not as a dietary staple in the same manner as meats and fish. But when used in a smoothie with presumably other protein sources (milk, eggs), it can still benefit bone building. As a soup base, it is definitely inferior to bone broth, especially homemade.
    Gelatin is the principle component in bone broth. That's why it solidifies when cold. Since packaged gelatin is a recent invention, I suspect that a lot of "gelatin" references over a hundred years ago were, in fact, talking about bone broth. Semantics.

Leave a comment:

• Paysan
    replied
    Gelatin should be viewed as a supplement, not as a dietary staple in the same manner as meats and fish. But when used in a smoothie with presumably other protein sources (milk, eggs), it can still benefit bone building. As a soup base, it is definitely inferior to bone broth, especially homemade.

Leave a comment:

• OnTheBayou
    replied
    Originally posted by functionaljane View Post
    My cousin broke his jaw playing hockey and had his mouth sewed shut as well. I second using gelatin, it's a great source of protein and I believe leucine!
    Originally posted by functionaljane View Post
    My cousin broke his jaw playing hockey and had his mouth sewed shut as well. I second using gelatin, it's a great source of protein and I believe leucine!
    Gelatin is most definitely NOT a great source of protein. I has, I think, only three or four of the essential amino acids. It used to be relied on heavily in old hospitals for a soup base. People who couldn't eat solids often experienced sever protein deficiency.

Leave a comment:

• Loyaer864
    replied
    Well http://www.tykeanimal.com
    Last edited by Loyaer864; 03-01-2017, 08:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paysan
    replied
    Well, Reddhedd, if she can stand the pain of eating "real" food, let her. But I'm confident she'll keep smoothies as a backup for days when her jaw is just too sore.

Leave a comment:

• functionaljane
    replied

Leave a comment:

• reddhedd
    replied
    Smoothies are a good go-to, and I appreciate the tip to add gelatin...That's good. But, I know her; after a couple of weeks, she's gonna go crazy for something that resembles "real" food.

Leave a comment:

• Paysan
    replied
    Obviously paleo smoothies have to come near the top of the list. Just pay attention to the protein sources and contents, take into account allergies (no soy, no whey for dairy sensitive), don't make them too high in natural/added sugars, keep fibrous raw veggies to a minimum, add gelatin and so on. It can be done, and smoothies can keep one full and energetic for hours.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X