Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone meal instead of broth?

I used to let my cat eat chicken with the bones and she lived to over 20 years old. I've been thinking, why not just get the NOW or similar bone meal powder instead of making broth. What am I missing?

Uh..............bones in bone broth aren't eaten, they are the source of the collagen, the broth.

Comment

Obviously. Bone meal has the collagen plus other minerals. Hence it being sold at health food stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Animals-eat View Post
        Obviously. Bone meal has the collagen plus other minerals. Hence it being sold at health food stores.
        You'd have to consume a heck of a lock of yummy (snark) ground up bones to get much collagen, I'm sure.. Most of the collagen/gelatin made by bone broth comes from the connective tissues and gristle of the bones.

Why not just go with gelatin or powdered collagen?

Comment

Although cats are carnivores, they require pretty well the whole spectrum of skin, flesh, organs and bones to thrive. OP doesn't specify whether the bones s/he fed were raw or cooked, ground or entire. If I hated my cat, I would give it cooked chicken bones If not, OTOH, I probably would try it with raw small drumsticks, gizzards and chicken heads, and/or turn it loose in a field-mouse infested area. Or buy my urban cats canned whole mice, supplemented with taurine. No where would I feed bone meal.

Comment

Working...
          X